Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2014 11:04:29 AM EDT
I have always wanted an AK and was told before to get the Yugo OPAP model by Century, but they are almost impossible to find now.  Why is this?

Just got an email back from AimSurplus asking about their stock of OPAPs and they said they won't be getting more in.  NPAP is the new model, Why is this?

I just want a good model with the wooden stock, etc. The model that you think of when someone says AK-47 or see in movies and stuff.  Is the NPAP good enough, I am only aware of a heavy trunnion and a couple of other differences with the OPAPs.

While I'm posting what about AR-15?
Is Diamondback any good?
http://www.firearms4u.com/guns/tactical-rifles/diamondback-db15shd-db-15-223rem-5-56nato-30-1-a2-front-a-tacs-au-moe-blk-db15shd/

Have been keeping an eye out for this one (Colt 6920 FDE):
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0136389

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Core 15 M4 scout. I'm a Colt armorer and I think the quality of the Core weapons matches that of Colt for about half the price.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Cash the Opaps were made up using surplus parts, they only made as many as they had parts for.  The Npap would probably do everything you want and have nicer stocks too.  For a regular looking AK the WASRs also fit the bill and take standard AK furniture if you want to change things out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
the npap underfolders are nice. Same barrel as the opaps, just not the bulged trunnion.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-n-pap-underfolder-detail.html?Itemid=0

also if you like the look of the standard yugo then these guys are supposedly good to deal with but at $1250 isn't cheap
http://www.tworiversarms.com/Tabuk.htm
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cash the Opaps were made up using surplus parts, they only made as many as they had parts for.  The Npap would probably do everything you want and have nicer stocks too.  For a regular looking AK the WASRs also fit the bill and take standard AK furniture if you want to change things out.
View Quote

They were not made up using surplus parts. The only surplus used are stocks and hadguards. Some recent opaps can be seen using newer npap furniture. But the actual firearms has no surplus parts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You're right, sorry should have said used stocks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The OPAP & NPAP are both still out there. The Rommy M+M M10 is a good value.

For AR15 get a Colt 6920.  They are the Arsenal of AR's. Oh wait Colt's finish doesn't melt off with Hoppes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They were not made up using surplus parts. The only surplus used are stocks and hadguards. Some recent opaps can be seen using newer npap furniture. But the actual firearms has no surplus parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct. Per a conversation I had with Century Arms, and other have reported, the OPAP are rebuilt from a cache of machine guns that CAI had acquired.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going out on a limb here and maybe stating the obvious but,

the O-pap has thicker steel, no Pre-ban mag bulges and is made of spare parts.

Having called CIA about every detail of every gun they sell, and all the various answers they have given me, there are no more "O-Paps" left.

The NPaps, both rifle and Krinkov, Centurions, and the M77 in .308 are their bread and butter now.

I would like a Romak, or Opap in myy stable
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is not correct. Per a conversation I had with Century Arms, and other have reported, the OPAP are rebuilt from a cache of machine guns that CAI had acquired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say they full of BS and don't know what they're talking about. That makes no sense at all. Got anything to back that up other than "I talked to some Century Monkey"?

My guess is they receive shipments like CZ USA does with their handguns, which is in limited imports, but sufficient quantities. We already had an OPAP drought a few months back, and they started pouring in shortly after, and now have a drought again. I bet Century is just saying it to increase value of them next time around when they are imported. Serbia makes crapload of NPAP and OPAPS. The OPAPs have a Serbian mark of manufacture of 2012, 2013, so why would Century import such new parts kits, when NPAPs, M77ps 308, and new UF are built in the same factory, and are not parts kits. Why wouldn't the same theory apply to the M77 308, NPAP, and UF? Those are also factory built in Serbia.

Not saying that what you're reporting is false, just that I believe that whoever you talked to is just passing general info without much info backing that up.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
They reported this to me months before they started drying up. This was told to me by a sales rep I have worked with at Century before, along with a very knowledgeable dealer I have worked with. It was stated that this was a limited production run and when they ran out, they ran out. That's not to say that Zastava cant just start building some more new ones, but I do believe these are made from new-old-stock parts. No one argues the wood is surplus, people have reported getting different front sights, safety's and I can see different shades of bluing on parts of mine. Believe the story or not, they are an excellent rifle for the price and I am happy I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
pricier, but still available. Atlantic has them for $699, http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
pricier, but still available. Atlantic has them for $699, http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
View Quote

They do not have any in stock. Try adding one to your cart - wont work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Rather weird since I saw some ak pistols from Zastava on Atlantic using the RPK receivers. I imagine all they'd have to do is manufacture the receiver and the trunion and that would be it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Just picked up an opap from fleet farm, seems to be about the only place that still has em.

$569... with crest, but no birth certificate in the packet, not even the normal Npap mixup.   Still had at least one in stock after I got mine.

First AK ive ever got, or even thought about getting.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
You got lucky Xepho, Opaps are very much in demand.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed... that's why I woke up at 6am and drove 3 hours round trip to grab one from beaver dam.  Lol.  So anyone in WI nearby.... hop to it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

this !!! after calling no less then 40 gun shops in a 100 mile area of central Va . I finally found an o pap today at a nice gun shop in Tappahannock VA called RedNex .. I paid $850 + tax , I didn't mind because they are getting like hens teeth and they are very well made . while filling out the paper work someone called looking for an o pap.   I got the last one they had ...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't be that many of these left at dealers.  Congratulations on your acquisition, you'll be very pleased with it!
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top