Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2012 6:04:16 PM EDT
Inspired by tx_metal's thread and yugo m64, I have bought a m64 from apex.  

I have been exchanging emails with Steve from Two Rivers arms about rewelding the receiver and he informed me that my kit had the bolt hold button and that I might be interested in trying to get that to work with the reweld.  Even though it has the button, the internals of the mechanism has been cut with the demilling of the receiver.

I want to know if any of you have information on the bolt hold, maybe some knowledge of how the parts work with the m64 magazine and how to get it to work with what I have.

So can anyone help me out?

I am trying to upload some photos so lets see if this will work.... ah haaa I got it

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt Yeamans is an authority on this subject, he has rebuilt the BHO mechanisms on M64s before.  He would definitely be someone to contact on this subject.

These are his pics of the BHO mechanism in the up (first pic) and down (second pic) positions.  

The lever is moved into the up position by the mag follower.  The lever stops the carrier and the carrier holds the lever up once it contacts it.  Therefore, the bolt stays open even after the mag is removed.  The notch for the BHO mechanism is clearly seen in this M64 mag pic:

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Very helpful Liquidmetal!

Do you know if m64 specific mags are the only ones to work with the bolt hold or can regular mags be cut so that they work?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Very helpful Liquidmetal!

Do you know if m64 specific mags are the only ones to work with the bolt hold or can regular mags be cut so that they work?

Thanks!

Not sure on the modifying of the regular mags, might work.  

More Matt Yeamans pics I forgot I had:

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool
Absolutely love the M64.

And the guys up at Two Rivers are fantastic to deal with if you decide to go with them.
They were very helpul in getting everything together for my build. Great communication,
no surprise charges without letting you know, ect ect.
Plus, the build quality is excelent.

Looks like you got a great kit, is it #'s matching at all?
Hows the bore?
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very cool
Absolutely love the M64.

And the guys up at Two Rivers are fantastic to deal with if you decide to go with them.
They were very helpul in getting everything together for my build. Great communication,

Hows the bore?

I am glad I got one when I did; Apex doesn't seem to have these up anymore on their website (maybe they will get more).

The kit is pretty good.  The gas block cut off (that's what I'm calling it) is a little wobbly, but I think that is okay.

The bore is alright too, It has been shot a lot, but it passes the bullet test and the rifling is okay. The barrel will be good enough for occasional plinking.

The kit is all matching as for all I could tell, except the recoil spring guide rod.  

Thanks for posting that thread,  I don't think I would have pursued this project without that.  I think its going to be a pretty cool rifle!

I also contacted Mr. Yeaman and he said he may be able to get the bolt hold to work with my kit,  I am still waiting on a response from Steve ( I emailed him late Friday, so he probably didn't even look at it yet.)

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool
Absolutely love the M64.

Hows the bore?

I am glad I got one when I did; Apex doesn't seem to have these up anymore on their website (maybe they will get more).

The kit is pretty good.  The gas block cut off (that's what I'm calling it) is a little wobbly, but I think that is okay.

The bore is alright too, It has been shot a lot, but it passes the bullet test and the rifling is okay. The barrel will be good enough for occasional plinking.

The kit is all matching as for all I could tell, except the recoil spring guide rod.  

Thanks for posting that thread,  I don't think I would have pursued this project without that.  I think its going to be a pretty cool rifle!

I also contacted Mr. Yeaman and he said he may be able to get the bolt hold to work with my kit,  I am still waiting on a response from Steve ( I emailed him late Friday, so he probably didn't even look at it yet.)

Not a problem, I was so fascinated with the process, I had to share. Most of my gun friends weren't interested in a put together piece of metal
from 40 years ago on the other side of the Atlantic
Bore sounds about like mine, worn but plenty good for shooting junk laying around and just turning money into smoke and noise.
If you've never fired a milled ak, be prepared. There is almost no recoil to speak of with them, they are so darn heavy compared to the stamped.

Which ever company you go with, be sure to post back often as you can. Love seeing more of these great old guns being brought back
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The only problem with Matt's BHO device is that it was unreliable from what I understand. I do not think any actually went into customers' rifles. Also it is not the original design. Originals did not come up through the left rail like that
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only problem with Matt's BHO device is that it was unreliable from what I understand. I do not think any actually went into customers' rifles. Also it is not the original design. Originals did not come up through the left rail like that

I just sent the kit off to Matt today.  He said he could try to get the bolt hold to work with the kit.  I too have read on another forum that he attempted to make a bolt hold for an m64 reweld but it had broke within a couple shots.

I will see if it comes to fruition, if not it will still be awesome nonetheless.  Its not something I was considering when I bought the kit so I won't take it as any kind of loss.

I have been still trying to find more about the bolt hold, but I can't find anything that I haven't found already.  Just not much on it,  maybe I am not searching with the correct criteria.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sent the kit off to Matt today.  He said he could try to get the bolt hold to work with the kit.  I too have read on another forum that he attempted to make a bolt hold for an m64 reweld but it had broke within a couple shots.

I will see if it comes to fruition, if not it will still be awesome nonetheless.  Its not something I was considering when I bought the kit so I won't take it as any kind of loss.

I have been still trying to find more about the bolt hold, but I can't find anything that I haven't found already.  Just not much on it,  maybe I am not searching with the correct criteria.

Any news or progress on the project?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Not yet....   Just patiently waiting

He told me about a 16 week turnaround so that will be around the beginning of January from when I sent it in.  The cost was $450, so he raised the price from when others sent their kit in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell thats only a little bit more than what I paid, but if the BHO works than awsome

Can't wait to see the finished product
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He told me about a 16 week turnaround so that will be around the beginning of January from when I sent it in.  The cost was $450, so he raised the price from when others sent their kit in.

It took me right at a year to get mine back. No BHO or anything. Just a regular reweld
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took me right at a year to get mine back. No BHO or anything. Just a regular reweld

That is a similar time frame that I was quoted at, but I'm not patient enough for it
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a similar time frame that I was quoted at, but I'm not patient enough for it

Hey TX_Metal!  

did you get a reply for that IM.  I don't know if it went out to you so I will ask you here.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey TX_Metal!  

did you get a reply for that IM.  I don't know if it went out to you so I will ask you here.  Thanks again

Yes sir, and I replied in turn.
I really can't say enough about Apex, they should be able to help you out
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I also have a completed m64 milled reweld that I did myself, but I'm also waiting for turbothis (Matt) to get back to me.i just want to purchase his internal bar and spring, I can fabricate it to work
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Wondering if there were any updates for this thread?
I completely forgot about it, and now I'm hoping there is a completed product to eye fondle
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I completely forgot about it, and now I'm hoping there is a completed product to eye fondle

Hi TX_Metal! I had emailed Matt and he got back to me a couple weeks ago that he is close to getting the rifle done.  I am unsure about if he is getting the last round bolt hold to work or not, but I think he is working on it (I paid him a little more than what he usually does a reweld; I saw on gunbroker he is advertising his reweld service as an auction and it is lower than what I paid, it was $350 and I paid $400 or something like that).  We'll see, but I sure I'm going to impressed no matter what  .  I also sent him a magazine to modify to see if other magazines can be modified to be used with the the bolt hold.

I will post pics of the rifle when I get it!

I am currently wondering on bluing options.  I don't know if I want to try to do it myself or let a professional do it.  I am leaning towards myself.  Anybody have suggestions on how to do this?  Any preferable bluing options?
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi TX_Metal! I had emailed Matt and he got back to me a couple weeks ago that he is close to getting the rifle done.  I am unsure about if he is getting the last round bolt hold to work or not, but I think he is working on it (I paid him a little more than what he usually does a reweld; I saw on gunbroker he is advertising his reweld service as an auction and it is lower than what I paid, it was $350 and I paid $400 or something like that).  We'll see, but I sure I'm going to impressed no matter what  .  I also sent him a magazine to modify to see if other magazines can be modified to be used with the the bolt hold.

I will post pics of the rifle when I get it!

I am currently wondering on bluing options.  I don't know if I want to try to do it myself or let a professional do it.  I am leaning towards myself.  Anybody have suggestions on how to do this?  Any preferable bluing options?

Can't wait to see the finished product
Depends on what sort of blue job you want, personally I love the battlefield pick up look, but YMMV. There is no shortage of people who could do it for you, or if you are confident enough, I have seen some
guys turn out amazing home blue jobs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I found a fairly good drawing of the bolt stop apparatus in a Yugo repair manual I recently received.

It shows the assembly in a drawing with an explanation in Serb.  Very difficult to make any sense out of the text with Google Translate, so if any Serbian speakers want to translate any of it please do.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump because I'm impatient and can't wait to see if the BHO was made functioning again or not
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Tx_Metal, you seem to be less patient than I  hahaha

I need to email Matt to see how far along he is with the project.  I will ask him about the bolt hold specifically.

I will get back as soon as I can.  Getting pretty excited to add something new to my collection!
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tx_Metal, you seem to be less patient than I  hahaha

I need to email Matt to see how far along he is with the project.  I will ask him about the bolt hold specifically.

I will get back as soon as I can.  Getting pretty excited to add something new to my collection!

Sadly, true
I'm in the midst of putting together an M-72, so I need other people's projects to distract me haha
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top