Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2015 7:44:10 AM EDT
Guy I work with has a Norinco SKS that has been violated by Tapco.

Said he would take 100.00 for it as is.

I want to get it back to what it is supposed to be if I fo. From the pics I saw it's gonna need a stock, top hand guard, bayonet and correct magazine.

Would it be worth saving?

Where is a good source for what I need?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
For $100 it is totally worth your time. Sell the Tapco crap and look around on Gunbroker for a non-serial numbered stock and mag.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just be real careful about what stock you purchase.  There are many variations of stocks even for the Chinese SKSs and they are not interchangable.   Also depends on whether your SKS should have a spike or  blade type bayonet.  Locations of the crosslug in the stock and type of barrel you have on the SKS are all things you need to find out prior to buying a stock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Numrich sells cheap chinese spike stocks , they carry handguards too. As for magazines - they can be found on eBay or even gunbroker. I got mine from desert fox sales. Last I remember their are several suppliers that carried stocks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Numrich sells cheap chinese spike stocks , they carry handguards too. As for magazines - they can be found on eBay or even gunbroker. I got mine from desert fox sales. Last I remember their are several suppliers that carried stocks.
View Quote

That's where I purchased my first SKS stock to restore my 1966 Norinco.  The stock was nowhere close to fitting (crossbolt in wrong place).  Ended up selling it off and purchasing another from e-bay.  This one as well did not fit either (crossbolt in wrong place and wood channel was wrong for my particular barrel.)  Finally got my 3rd SKS stock that was close enough that I could remove and modify the crossbolt for it to fit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had success grinding down the crossbolt on ones that don't fit right. Makes for a nice snug fit actually.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't let any of that worry you though, 100 bucks for an SKS is a steal.

Just give it a once over make sure everything is there. I bought my yugo the same way, paid 120 for it. Put a sock magazine, cheese grater handguard, and a (free) Russian stock on it.

they're solid rifles, Chinese ones should have a chrome bore - so not much to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked it up this morning, doesn't look too bad. Rear sight block has a cant to it, minute pitting on receiver and piston. and a pin is missing in the gas tube/hand guard retainer. other than that it looks sound.

Should have took pictures before stripping it

I will put junk furniture back on for pic, so you can see a before and after later on.

I see the parts are out there, but more expensive than I thought. Chinese 10 round fixed mag prices are

Any suggestions on a finish for the steel?

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I just traded a CMMG lower for a norinco sks that was tapco fucked.
Figured it may be worth my time to restore. Or just sell...
I was hoping the guy still had the wood furniture :(
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just picked it up this morning, doesn't look too bad. Rear sight block has a cant to it, minute pitting on receiver and piston. and a pin is missing in the gas tube/hand guard retainer. other than that it looks sound.

Should have took pictures before stripping it

I will put junk furniture back on for pic, so you can see a before and after later on.

I see the parts are out there, but more expensive than I thought. Chinese 10 round fixed mag prices are

Any suggestions on a finish for the steel?

View Quote

I just blasted one with coal slag and hit it with the flat black VHT 500 & baked it. I also stripped the stock & used Red Mahogany stain with a poly clear coat. Finished up real nice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If you haven't found a stock yet I saw some at Allan's Armory the other day.  Not affiliated, btw, just trying to help you source parts.

Also, you might check eBay for a Fiberglass "jungle" stock.  I have one on my paratrooper and like the reduction in overall weight.  It has a real nice balance to it with the 16" bbl.  I think I paid $30/shipped for it a couple years ago.

Also, check buymilsurp.com, I've been buying from him for 8 years, he's gtg and has a bunch of stuff, again not affiliated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:26:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I got everything I need, and it's been a pain in the ass.

The jungle stock I got looks like plastic on the outside but seems to really be wood underneath, not sure what to make of it. Still trimming away to make it fit as it seems to be unissued.

I think I have the correct Chinese 10 round box mag, but it seems to be a tad bit to long and I can't get it all the way up into position. It hangs up on the receiver when I hook it into place.

Hand guard is too long and needs more trimming to reset pin in gas tube/ferrule. I am trying to get the holes lined up.

Tried getting the trigger assembly in without the mag in place and it's a no go.

Bayonet needed a little grinding/polishing inside the lug that fits over the barrel, at least that went ok and it fits nice now.

Just gonna tinker with it as time allows, should look pretty good when it's done.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I've never had a fiberglass stock just drop in. Always been a little sanding here filing there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a jungle stock on mine, I like the way it looks, some are made out of phenolic, and some are made from a resin/ gel coated fiberglass. Not sure about the mag problem, some times they are hard to line up and smack into place. Make sure the safety is on when you install the trigger group it also can be a pain to snap into place sometimes. Alittle bit of patience and it'll all be done.

Post some pics of your progress if you don't mind? Have you found out the year and arsenal ?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah I've never had a fiberglass stock just drop in. Always been a little sanding here filing there.
View Quote

I dropped three different actions into my jungle stock without the slightest modification.  Two were full size SKS rifles(Factory /636\ and a [0144]) , one a Paratrooper. (All Chinese guns, it's currently installed on the Paratrooper)  The only spot that fit tight was the magazine body, it wouldn't drop free without a little help.

YMMV I guess.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Where in WA are you? I used to do a lot of SKS tinkering. PM me if you're in the Kitsap/N. Tacoma area and want a hand.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry it took so long fellas, I appreciate all the advice and help I got. I just got her finished (for the most part) last night or this morning, well both actually. Needed quite a bit of work to get it all to come together. A bit of fitting for the stock, alot for the handguard. some filing on the mag and she finally fit together nice.

She has a used but not abused look which I like. Still needs a bit of work here and there but I believe the gun is ready to shoot and I hope to do so tomorrow.

The shit I removed

How it should be

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had success grinding down the crossbolt on ones that don't fit right. Makes for a nice snug fit actually.
View Quote

I just restocked a Norinco "M" into a Yugo M59/66 stock and actually had to build up the cross bolt with weld to get a tight fit.  I also had to do a little sanding/filing to get the trigger group to lock in.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry it took so long fellas, I appreciate all the advice and help I got. I just got her finished (for the most part) last night or this morning, well both actually. Needed quite a bit of work to get it all to come together. A bit of fitting for the stock, alot for the handguard. some filing on the mag and she finally fit together nice.

She has a used but not abused look which I like. Still needs a bit of work here and there but I believe the gun is ready to shoot and I hope to do so tomorrow.

The shit I removed

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/fshoutowtr/IMG_2372.jpg

How it should be
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/fshoutowtr/IMG_2364.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/fshoutowtr/IMG_2367.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/fshoutowtr/IMG_2366.jpg
View Quote

Is that 0225 or 0223 for the mfg mark?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Made in 1977
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top