Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 4:03:15 AM EDT
Someone mentioned to me he may sell his SKS that takes AK mags.It was built to take these mags. Its in some kind of butt ugly wood thumbhole stock, practically new. It also has the shorter barrel. I'm only familiar with the standard type with the fixed mag, if I get it I was thinking truck gun. So here's the questions:
1. What is this thing worth, meaning what would be considered a "fair" price for both parties
2. What are the options as far as other stocks? I assume with the modification to take the AK mags I couldn't just throw it in a standard SKS stock.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If the SKS you are pondering was originally built to take AK mags, it is an SKS-D or SKS-M.  Usually the SKS-D has the thumbhole stock.

Regarding price, $500 is fair for both.  The SKS-M can command a little more.  Recent SKS-D prices and recent SKS-M prices for on-line auctions are at the links in this sentence.

A standard SKS stock will not fit without modifications.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the SKS you are pondering was originally built to take AK mags, it is an SKS-D or SKS-M.  Usually the SKS-D has the thumbhole stock.

Regarding price, $500 is fair for both.  The SKS-M can command a little more.  Recent SKS-D prices and recent SKS-M prices for on-line auctions are at the links in this sentence.

A standard SKS stock will not fit without modifications.
View Quote

I have a Model D and put a  Tapco SKS stock on it.  Its been a while but i dont think it required any modifications.

Im usually not a Tapco fan but I can't complain about the stock and its a HUGE improvement over the original.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the SKS-D and SKS-M are the two options... even several years ago they were commanding prices of 450 and up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 of them.

The shorter 16" models are the M or sporters the 20" is the rare D model with the bayonet.

I put a ramline stock on one of my M's fit right in.

You can make then fit into a regular SKS stock with a little patience and wood removal.

Prices range from $450-750 depending on condition and model.The 20" D with the bayonet brings a premium.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. $500 is way more than I would pay for it. Half the point of a truck gun to me is that it isn't excessively valuable in the event of a theft. For $600 I could get a plain jane but reliable AR. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear what you are saying with $500 being more than a truck gun is worth.  I personally wouldn't use a D or M model as a truck gun, they are too cool and are getting scarce!  I'd rather relegate the truck duties to a beatup Norinco or something like that.  Either way, there is something just cool about an SKS made for AK mags.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top