Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
Hey y'all I am looking to get either an AK-47 or an SKS. I am not sure yet which one. I had my eyes on the Arsenal AK-47 with the polymer platform but I someone told me that I should also consider the SKS in my search as well. I am wanting to know if y'all could help me out by giving me some of the pros and cons with both the AK-47 and the SKS. I am also curious if y'all could tell me what the major differences are in both the rifles. I have had a couple Ar's but I've never had an AK-47 or an SKS and I've always wanted one so I am wanting to do it right and get all the information I need before I go out and buy so I know i'm making a good purchase. I really appreciate all of the help, thank you.

~Cowboy
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
SKS requires use of stripper clips for quick reloads, AK uses magazines which is a better option IMO.   I've never had an issue with reliability with my SKS (tula).  Not a very accurate gun, but neither is the AK.  That wasn't a design requirement with either one.  SKS has a 20" barrel  and a slightly higher muzzle velocity vs a 16" for the AK.  AK is  a little more portable.  Both are piston systems, and easy to clean when you feel inclined to clean them.  Both fun to shoot.  Ergonomics.......meh for both (AR's are much better IMO).  That's all I have for you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
it really depends on thed rifle a yugoSKS is quite accurate and heavy.a tula built sks is lighter abd less accurate

not all aks are equal a century built Romanian is not an arsenal. so you need to decide the budget and end goal.

I f i had to choose one and had $1000  it would be a a Romanian or yugo under folder
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO you're comparing apples to oranges.  Get the AK.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO you're comparing apples to oranges.  Get the AK.
View Quote

I agree, the SKS and AK are two very different rifles so it's hard to just say get one or the other without knowing what you are getting the rifle for.  If you want a more C&R-type rifle, go with the SKS.  If you want a rifle with more modern features and ability to customize akin to the AR, go with the AK.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you are looking at an SKS-M or D model, you are talking two totally different set ups.  The SKS is typically loaded from the top, with stripper clips, and has a ten round capacity, while the AK uses magazines and can use 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 45 round mags.  (I think there's even some other capacities out there).

My first was an SKS, due to cost break-down, it was cheaper to get into, cheaper to shoot because nobody was doing mag dumps, and was more of an enjoyment purchase.  Later I got into AK's, and they are a lot of fun too, allowing for a lot more combat set-up than the SKS (Yes, I know TAPCO and a lot of others make a whole bunch of stuff, but I prefer my SKS stock).

Since you say you have AR's, I would try to look at it as if you were deciding between getting another AR (hence the AK), or an M1 Garand (Similar to the SKS system in loading and use).

Or, with a typical ARFcom answer, GET BOTH!

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Or, here's a third option. The VZ58.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What I like with the SKS is that you are getting a completely authentic battle rifle, whereas with the AK by default you are getting American made parts and such to comply with 922r.  While this might not be a big deal for some people, I like that I am getting the SKS rifle as-issued.  Probably more of a collector thing, but something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the right answer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I like with the SKS is that you are getting a completely authentic battle rifle, whereas with the AK by default you are getting American made parts and such to comply with 922r.  While this might not be a big deal for some people, I like that I am getting the SKS rifle as-issued.  Probably more of a collector thing, but something to think about.
View Quote

Buy a transferable AK and it's totally authentic.  Also, 922r only applies to the person assembling it not who possesses it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the Chinese SKS rifles. Their lighter and can be pretty accurate for what they are.
You might surprise yourself how fast you can be with reliable clips too.  The Kalashnikov is a great rifle for firepower downrange but with a sight tool and patience the SKS can fill almost every role.

Gotta go, loading up some AR mags
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Without the full auto switch there is no real use for an AK.
Cowboy, if you find a nice Soviet SKS you have the best platform for shooting 7.62x39. Chinese would be my next choice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You have to be kidding me right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After market parts availability and upgrades alone make the AK worth more than the SKS in terms of practicality.
Yes, the SKS is generally more accurate than the AK, but not enough (IMO) to be game changer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God, i hope so .. wow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I understand your statement, but what does it have to do with my quote?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After market parts availability and upgrades alone make the AK worth more than the SKS in terms of practicality.
Yes, the SKS is generally more accurate than the AK, but not enough (IMO) to be game changer.

I understand your statement, but what does it have to do with my quote?

Supporting your statement in such a way as to leave personal preference (of people like you and me who like AK's for what they are) out of it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i second that, look for a deal on an sks and spring for that when the time comes but in the mean time get the ak and start to stock up on the ammo
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
SKS-M or D gives the accuracy advantage of the SKS AND the cheap, hi-cap AK mags.  It's the best of both worlds; I have 2!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey y'all I am looking to get either an AK-47 or an SKS. I am not sure yet which one. I had my eyes on the Arsenal AK-47 with the polymer platform but I someone told me that I should also consider the SKS in my search as well. I am wanting to know if y'all could help me out by giving me some of the pros and cons with both the AK-47 and the SKS. I am also curious if y'all could tell me what the major differences are in both the rifles. I have had a couple Ar's but I've never had an AK-47 or an SKS and I've always wanted one so I am wanting to do it right and get all the information I need before I go out and buy so I know i'm making a good purchase. I really appreciate all of the help, thank you.

~Cowboy
View Quote

What do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend?

Do you plan on adding any aftermarket parts?

Do you plan on keeping it forever or reselling it at some point?

What led you to check into these guns vs. other rifles and calibers?
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top