Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2013 1:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TannerB]
Decided I  need a krink,  what's the best way to go between the pistol or rifle version?  I  haven't decided yet but I  might run it suppressed, if  that's the case I  would think the rifle version might be better since I  have some barrel I  could thread? Thoughts?
Also,  does it take normal krink wood up front?
eta I  see the pistol version also has a  little barrel I  could thread too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the 106ur. Its way easier and cheaper to cut and crown the barrel than it is the add a true triangle folder. I bought a $70 crown tool from brownells to do mine. Its quite easy to do. The standard krink hand guards will fit the 106ur. Also if you are planning on running suppressed you could cut the barrel short of the front sight block and thread the barrel to your desired threads to mount your can. They are so fun to shoot. Do it!
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Deff go with the UR. Im in the process of sbring a u. They are both gonna need barrel work, at least with the rifle you don't have to purchase the folding stock and have it installed, and track down a new threaded fsb and have it installed too. I got a good deal on my pistol, but if I had to do it over I would have started with the rifle.

James.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the rifle. Very easy to convert. Cut and crown and you are done. At least that's what I did.

" />
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the rifle. I SBR'd mine last year and it was a simple cut, crown and open the gas port a tad. The hardest part was decided between a 4 piece booster or a conical booster.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
UR
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1911nick:
snip < Also if you are planning on running suppressed you could cut the barrel short of the front sight block and thread the barrel to your desired threads to mount your can. >snip
View Quote

This is an excellent idea...any pics of rifles where this has been done?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vugger:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vugger:
snip < Also if you are planning on running suppressed you could cut the barrel short of the front sight block and thread the barrel to your desired threads to mount your can. >snip

I saw a picture like this, have your muzzle break for a suppressor, but still had the ak threads on the gas block. So you could take your muzzle off and screw on the ak muzzle if you wanted both looks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]

20140103_195613 by tb5252, on Flickr
Got it in yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Great choice and nice stockpile of circle 10's. Now get that form 1 sent in asap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe the SLR 106UR is superior to the SLR 104ur.

Great choice and nice stockpile of circle 10's. Now get that form 1 sent in asap.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gsd2053:

View All Quotes

Because...
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 9:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd2053] [#13]
Because.... It puts out a heavier GR at faster FPS. Their are more choices in bullets from more manufacturers. I have always said 5.56 can do anything that 5.45 can do only better.  The 5.45 round with the hollow nose cavity followed by lead then steal. This is projectile design. It yaws. Its not magic. nor is it unduplicable.

Although many consider the 1991-vintage AK-74M (Avtomat Kalashnikov 1974 Modernized) the zenith of the Kalashnikov family of assault rifles, I am not so quick to agree. As good as the 5.45x39mm AK-74M is, I feel the Russians developed a slightly better rifle in 1993, the AK-101. Little more than an AK-74M rechambered for the West's 5.56x45mm cartridge, the AK-101 is a better rifle, I believe, simply due to the chambering. Although the 5.45x39mm cartridge is a fine round and does have its strong points such as case design and economical cost, the 5.56mm is simply a better and more versatile cartridge. When it comes to exterior ballistics, terminal performance and accuracy, anything the 5.45x39mm cartridge can do, the 5.56x45mm can do better.

Wolf = 5.45x39 60 gr  Bimetal FMJ & HP  2936 fps  

Wolf.223 Rem  62 gr Bimetal FMJ & HP  Boxer 3025 fps  

Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

Because...
View All Quotes

Because...

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I went with a 106U because I already had a lot of 5.56 on hand from my ARs and didn't feel like stockpiling another caliber. Not to mention the choice of rounds out there.
Got the 106u as opposed to the 106ur because I had planned from the start to mount a micro red dot on an ultimak and didn't need the side rail.

Cutting and recrowning the barrel was easy enough once I got the form 1 back.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#15]
When krink Kit building was all the rave. All the hype about, you cant just cut down a AK74 16" BBL. It wont stabilize the bullet.  You need a "TRUE KRINK BBL" or buy a blue jack. Then the Arsenal SLR-104UR uses the same twist rate as the regular 16.3"-barreled rifles and not the ~8"-barreled AKS-74U's twist rate 1:8 vs. 1:6.3.

I believe Arsenal makes the best Quality AK. I have both A milled SA-93 and a stamped SLR 106UR. I just do not get why they would do this to the SLR 104UR? Unless they knew they would sell like hot cakes in the US. and Then they would release it later with the proper twist. Only to spark up sales again.

Bulgarian is QUALITY.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
When krink Kit building was all the rave. All the hype about, you cant just cut down a AK74 16" BBL. It wont stabilize the bullet.  You need a "TRUE KRINK BBL" or buy a blue jack. Then the Arsenal SLR-104UR uses the same twist rate as the regular 16.3"-barreled rifles and not the ~8"-barreled AKS-74U's twist rate 1:8 vs. 1:6.3.

I believe Arsenal makes the best Quality AK. I have both A milled SA-93 and a stamped SLR 106UR. I just do not get why they would do this to the SLR 104UR? Unless they knew they would sell like hot cakes in the US. and Then they would release it later with the proper twist. Only to spark up sales again.

Bulgarian is QUALITY.  
View Quote

I dont think a single person that has cut down their 106ur has had an issue. At least not that I have seen. Seems to be a myth propagated before the guns actually came out and were starting to get SBRd.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]
All those krinks with cut down barrels, most had to have the gas port welded and relocated, i think this might be why some would keyhole. Maybe the weld spot put a weird spin on some. Many cut down bulgarian and east german barrels did not keyhole, it was like playing the lottery.
I think its safe to say at this point it is not the twist rate
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LVdubbin] [#18]
When filling out the Form 1 on E-file, what are you guys putting for manufacture and location? For the SLR 106 that is.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Where can I find an SLR-106ur these days? Atlantic has pistols labeled 106ur, and I want the 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gazorpazorp:
Where can I find an SLR-106ur these days? Atlantic has pistols labeled 106ur, and I want the 16" barrel.
View Quote

Gunbroker mostly. There are no more 106 rifles/pistols being imported anymore.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I cut down my 106UR barrel and have had no problems with the rifle.  I didn't have to do anything to the gas system.   Have fired roughly 500-600 rounds since cutting the barrel.  Love my little "krink".
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate to burst your bubble, but mine had to have the gas port drilled out...

Originally Posted By thatguywiththeak:

I dont think a single person that has cut down their 106ur has had an issue. At least not that I have seen. Seems to be a myth propagated before the guns actually came out and were starting to get SBRd.
View All Quotes

Bulgarian is QUALITY.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LVdubbin:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LVdubbin:

Bulgarian is QUALITY.  

What does that have to do with keyholing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Because.... It puts out a heavier GR at faster FPS. Their are more choices in bullets from more manufacturers. I have always said 5.56 can do anything that 5.45 can do only better.  The 5.45 round with the hollow nose cavity followed by lead then steal. This is projectile design. It yaws. Its not magic. nor is it unduplicable.

Although many consider the 1991-vintage AK-74M (Avtomat Kalashnikov 1974 Modernized) the zenith of the Kalashnikov family of assault rifles, I am not so quick to agree. As good as the 5.45x39mm AK-74M is, I feel the Russians developed a slightly better rifle in 1993, the AK-101. Little more than an AK-74M rechambered for the West's 5.56x45mm cartridge, the AK-101 is a better rifle, I believe, simply due to the chambering. Although the 5.45x39mm cartridge is a fine round and does have its strong points such as case design and economical cost, the 5.56mm is simply a better and more versatile cartridge. When it comes to exterior ballistics, terminal performance and accuracy, anything the 5.45x39mm cartridge can do, the 5.56x45mm can do better.

View All Quotes

Because...

Those velocities are from 16" barrels, NOT krink barrels.

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top