Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2015 11:59:35 AM EDT
So years ago I had my S12 converted. When it was done the rear trunnion was removed and the back of the receiver welded up for a Ace side folder. I decided I wanted the rear trunnion put back in. The Smith I took it too says he can do it but needs the stock I plan to use because he's basing the fit off of it. Shouldn't it just accept all standard AK stocks? I told him to base it off any standard stock but he says there are differences in the stocks. Am I using the wrong gun smith?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
IMHO, the smith is being conscientious. I'd provide him with the stock if you have one picked out. Ak's aren't all exactly built to the same standard. Sometimes you have to do a bit of fitting on components. It just sounds like he's trying to make sure his work satisfies the customer and covers his butt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
More specifically, I'd provide him with the rear trunion you plan on using (if you hadn't already).  The only thing he needs to worry about is the trunnion fitting.

Perhaps he's concerned about the front of the buttstock filling in the deadspace behind the FCG.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I did give him the rear trunion from a S12. I just figured there was a basic standard, but I'm no gun smith. I'll bring him the stock. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
How did you retain the recoil assembly without a trunnion? also, the carrier would pop up out of the rails under fire without a trunnion and recoil assembly to retain it. I think you are trying to say the tang was cut off and you want one welded back onto what remains of the trunnion, correct? Or, do you want the tangless trunnion removed and another installed.

If the guy doesn't have at least one saiga 12 or AK stock of some kind laying around then it sounds like he probably knows very little about the platform. I am very interested in seeing what a shit sandwich this turns into
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The one in there was cut and welded.  The back of the receiver was welded so the Ace side folder could be added.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one in there was cut and welded.  The back of the receiver was welded so the Ace side folder could be added.
View Quote

As in rivets removed and trunnion welded to the receiver? Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would anyone  remove rivets on a trunion that gets cut and welded? This was done just like every other S12 conversion done to fit a Ace stock.
All of that is irrelevant anyways. A factory S12 trunnion is being reinstalled.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Do the old trunnion holes exist? Use those with an AKM rear trunnion. No holes? Slide in the trunnion, close top cover, and adjust fwd / back so the top cover sits in the groove where it's supposed to. AKs are not precision, minus headspace.

Khalahshnikov noht feet? Huse biggher hammer! [thick russian accent]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
You smith doesn't know Saiga's at all.  He's just afraid to turn away business and will do a cut and paste job.
There's a Saiga FB group I'm a member of and I'm sure you will get the correct answers if you join and post pics.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would anyone  remove rivets on a trunion that gets cut and welded? This was done just like every other S12 conversion done to fit a Ace stock.
All of that is irrelevant anyways. A factory S12 trunnion is being reinstalled.
View Quote

When it was done the rear trunnion was removed and the back of the receiver welded up for a Ace side folder. I decided I wanted the rear trunnion put back in.

You said the trunnion was removed. If the trunnion was removed, then the rivets were removed. Apparently you meant the tang was cut off.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top