Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2015 10:05:15 AM EDT
New to the Vepr world but I'm finally taking the plunge.  I'm leaning towards 54r simply because I have 1.5x lifetimes' supply of Bulgarian, Romanian and Russian surp ammo bought cheap and stacked deep.

1) I understand a 16" may be too short and will result in lower velocity, unburned powder and probably a fireball per shot.  People note that the Russians (developer of the 54r) never really issued any of their 54r weapons with less than at 20-21" barrel.  Even the PSL is around 24".  I'd prefer to go shorter if possible.  What if any performance difference would one find between a 20 and a 23" Vepr barrel.

2) I might keep the thumb hole stock but I've been thinking about dressing it in the beautiful Ironwood Designs SVD style stock set.   Any issues/concerns/opinions here?

3) Tabuk style flash-hider.  Any issues/concerns/opinions?  

4) Scope+mounting?  Opinions?

5) What's up wi Single-stack receiver?  Sheeze.

6)  What about a .308 version?  Is the receiver single stack as well?  Cost/availability of mags?  Performance vs. barrel length?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I've since realised this.  Any other feedback?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
New to the Vepr world but I'm finally taking the plunge.  I'm leaning towards 54r simply because I have 1.5x lifetimes' supply of Bulgarian, Romanian and Russian surp ammo bought cheap and stacked deep.

1) I understand a 16" may be too short and will result in lower velocity, unburned powder and probably a fireball per shot.  People note that the Russians (developer of the 54r) never really issued any of their 54r weapons with less than at 23-24" barrel.  Even the PSL is around 24".  I'd prefer to go shorter if possible.  What if any performance difference would one find between a 20 and a 23" Vepr barrel.

2) I might keep the thumb hole stock but I've been thinking about dressing it in the beautiful Ironwood Designs SVD style stock set.   Any issues/concerns/opinions here?

3) Tabuk style flash-hider.  Any issues/concerns/opinions?  

4) Scope+mounting?  Opinions?

5) What's up wi Single-stack receiver?  Sheeze.

6)  What about a .308 version?  Is the receiver single stack as well?  Cost/availability of mags?  Performance vs. barrel length?
View Quote

I have a 23" Vepr 308 and a 7.62x39 on the way. My 308 is my favorite Kalashnikov ever and I have owned Arsenals, Saigas, Norincos, etc. My experience may go closely with the 54r, maybe..

1. I have a Mosin m44 carbine, it is a flame thrower with a 20" barrel i believe. I would personally go with the 23" and a good flash hider if flash is a concern

2. I went tactical on my 308 but those IWD stocks look awesome. If you add a flash hider, be prepared for the 922r game

3. I am using an Echo 93 AKML flash hider on mine. resembles the Tabuk but shorter (which is good for me with the 23" barrel) just an option but if i were doing the build you envision, I'd use a proper Tabuk copy

4. The receiver rail should take AK pattern mounts

5. This was one of the 2 reasons I went with the 308. The 308 is double stack and you can get Quality US made aftermarket mags from CSSPECS. the other reason I went with 308 is more available high quality/ match ammo as I do not reload.

6. As above, the 308 is double stack. I think the 308 is more efficient out of a short barrel than the 7.62x54r but I am not an expert on the ballistic differences. I have owned an LMT MWS and a Scar 17s and I never felt hindered with a 16" barrel. Mags are around $30-$40 from CSSPECS and they are excellent.  I went with a 23" barrel because that is what was available at an attractive price when I was shopping. I think for 308 18" is the sweet spot and if all lengths were available I would do 20" for 308 and 23" for 7.62x54r.

hope this info helps. Veprs are awesome
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top