Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2015 7:35:39 PM EDT
I have a storage shed/workshop in the back part of the property.  It has been mostly storage for tons of unopened boxes from our last move when we bought this house 4 years ago.  Some of these boxes have been packed since 2000 or so, and have been moved numerous times.  Finally wanting to reclaim my workshop and work bench to access my industrial drill press (I want to do an 80% AR lower on it), I bit the bullet and started pulling out boxes and emptying them.  

What did I find, but some orange bakelite Izhmash 30 round magazines!  I lost track of them so long ago, I actually forgot I had them.  They were in a box of web gear and pouches from back when I did gunshows, way back when (1988 to `about 2000).  What a sweet surprise.  While I know they can be found from time to time for $35 to $45 online, I am stuck in Kalifornication, where I am limited to high capacity that I legally possessed before 2000.

Izzy joy!

I had some Tapco smooth side orange mags that were OK, but they the lacked the steel lugs front and rear.  I converted them to 10 rounders and sold them locally.  I am REALLY happy!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a flat back on right in first pic, score!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Two are actually flat backs, one is a ridge back!  I have a forth, not pictured.  It is covered with long dead and dried out masking tape of some sort on three sides. Looks like someone had once taped two mags together.  I'll have to check and see if it is flat or ridge.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
So how does the state know if you bought some used mags while on vacay and drove em back home? Just curious how they address that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two are actually flat backs, one is a ridge back!  I have a forth, not pictured.  It is covered with long dead and dried out masking tape of some sort on three sides. Looks like someone had once taped two mags together.  I'll have to check and see if it is flat or ridge.
View Quote

Nice, are any Cyrillic?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So how does the state know if you bought some used mags while on vacay and drove em back home? Just curious how they address that.
View Quote

Well, actually, they don't deal with it!  They have to prove you didn't have them before 2000.  You don't have to prove you had them before 2000.  With that said, unfortunately I haven't been to free America in 6 months...  I had California  registered Assault weapons (AK and AR) back in 1989 that I sold in 2000 when I was out on disability retirement.  These  mags go back to then.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Photos of both sides. 6 views - both sides of 3 mags.  BETTER PICTURES

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I just realized that flat backs (4th pattern) have steel reinforced feed lips and ridgebacks don't.  I checked the feed lips in all four with a magnet, , and only the ridgeback (3rd pattern) doesn't have steel in the lips.  I always thought it was only 1st pattern (Tula) and 2nd pattern (Izzy), with the long top section had no steel.  My  fourth mag with the tape on it,  is also a flat back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just realized that flat backs (4th pattern) have steel reinforced feed lips and ridgebacks don't.  I checked the feed lips in all four with a magnet, , and only the ridgeback (3rd pattern) doesn't have steel in the lips.  I always thought it was only 1st pattern (Tula) and 2nd pattern (Izzy), with the long top section had no steel.  My  fourth mag with the tape on it,  is also a flat back.
View Quote

I've noticed only about 5% of Izzy 3rd gens have steel reinforced feed lips as opposed to Tula 3rd gens are about 90%. Tula always seemed to go all the way.

4th and 5th gens are almost guaranteed to have reinforced feed lips but I have come across a couple Izzy that didn't.

Could we get some pictures of the mold numbers? they may be Cyrillic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a storage shed/workshop in the back part of the property.  It has been mostly storage for tons of unopened boxes from our last move when we bought this house 4 years ago.  Some of these boxes have been packed since 2000 or so, and have been moved numerous times.  Finally wanting to reclaim my workshop and work bench to access my industrial drill press (I want to do an 80% AR lower on it), I bit the bullet and started pulling out boxes and emptying them.  

What did I find, but some orange bakelite Izhmash 30 round magazines!  I lost track of them so long ago, I actually forgot I had them.  They were in a box of web gear and pouches from back when I did gunshows, way back when (1988 to `about 2000).  What a sweet surprise.  While I know they can be found from time to time for $35 to $45 online, I am stuck in Kalifornication, where I am limited to high capacity that I legally possessed before 2000.

Izzy joy!
<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/Izzy%20mags_zps85ogwrlz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/Izzy%20mags_zps85ogwrlz.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/Izzy1_zpszme73qjw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/Izzy1_zpszme73qjw.jpg</a>

I had some Tapco smooth side orange mags that were OK, but they the lacked the steel lugs front and rear.  I converted them to 10 rounders and sold them locally.  I am REALLY happy!
View Quote

Nice...all the Californian liberals feel safer with that mod to your pistol grip. Man they have some dumb ass laws there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/Cyrillic_zpsu06omxap.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/Cyrillic_zpsu06omxap.jpg</a>
View Quote

No Cyrillic letters, but they are clean nice find
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top