Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 2:47:27 PM EDT
Hi guys, I'm trying to install a BG in my 5.45 flat-trunnion dimpled-reciever Saiga.

No problems with the drilling or tapping, but I can't get the screw to bite.   It acts like it's just too large, but the tap is marked "6/32" so I don't think it's a size issue.

Anyway, I'm thinking of just drilling out the hole a bit more and using a longer screw, with a nut between the trunnion and receiver.  Anyone here try that before?  I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, and other posters elsewhere talk about having used a longer screw and nut, but don't give any details.  I'm just curious as to any surprises anyone else might have run into.

Thanks!  Carl
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Never had this issue myself. Take the screw to home depot or Lowe's and find a longer version. You may need to shave down the screw head for bolt clearance after install.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I imagine that would work fine.  Just curious as to what other folks have done.  I'm thinking I'll go with stainless steel.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never had this issue myself. Take the screw to home depot or Lowe's and find a longer version. You may need to shave down the screw head for bolt clearance after install.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Give me a few to kick family off computer and I will post a few pics of some I have done.

ok, this one was done with a screw from Home Depot and a tap and die kit I have at home. I had to grind down the top to make clearance for the bolt, but it turned out good, at least I thought so.

points to note:

1. I had to cut the screw to length. Was too long to tighten down fully without hitting the receiver, then was too long to let the cleaning rod clear it.

2. This bullet guide is a Bulgarian 74 guide that cut down to fit in the Saiga receiver. I typically used these because in my opinion they just look nicer.

factory 100 series guide

here's one I riveted into ,my M76. I was able to do the rivet because it was a milled receiver. Looked a lot better after refinished.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Retap it to 8-32 and get a 8-32 screw and use that. No big deal. Use locktite also.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input, guys.  Turns out, Dinzag sent me a 6/32 drill and tap and an 8/32 screw.  With a screw that small, I didn't pick up on the fact that it was the wrong size.

I got tired of waiting to hear back from Brian so I just picked up a stainless 6/32 x 3/8" button head screw and popped it in there with some blue Loctite.

BTW, great pics, Nictra!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top