Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 4:47:42 PM EDT
Had to have an AK that had no pistol grip, flash hider, or collapsable stock, so I could use my "legally possessed by me in California prior to 1-1-2000 high capacity magazines." It shoots about 2 to 2.5 MOA with irons.

Started with a Saiga IZ-132
Barrel shroud cut and threaded .
Tactical Tri-Delta comp and crush washer (same brake was :Dawesome on my 300 BLK!)
Tapco gas piston
Tapco G2 double hook FCG modified for stock Saiga
Tapco Intrafuse handguard with fabricated aluminum heat shield
Russian AK103 1000 meter rear sightK-Var Nato length AKM stock modified for stock Saiga with 1" pad extender
Chinese Type 56 vented gas tube and polymer top handguard
Pre-2000 possessed comblock steel, some with beat up bodies replaced with Tapco smoothside burnt orange bodies (original com-block innards)
Bulgarian RPK sling (grey cotton web)

Pictures!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

I have done the AK74 FSB replacement with Ak103 brake on other Saigas in the past, but didn't on this one for two reasons
One: the FSB on this one was dead on true, with the front sight perfect in the middle between the wings and dead on for windage.
Two: I really wanted to use the Tactical Tri-Delta brake (this one threaded 14x1mm LH).  I used one (threaded 5/8x24) on a 300 BLK M4gery I had, and loved it.  Very effective.  I could not afford to shoot the 300 BLK (even reloading) so I went back to a 7.62x39 in a featureless Saiga build.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the feel of the factory stock, but it is overly big and clunky.  If it was 3/4 scale, it would be great.  It is so hollow, it does not lend itself to cutting down, without cobbling it together.  I may eventually get a kydex Solar Tactical paddle for the Saiganov stock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle, but it makes me glad I don't live in CA.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
When you used the words ultimate, California, and Saiga together I was expecting something more like this:

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Arghhh! I finally got a chance to try the build with the K-Var stock. I thought it would be alright from first feel just trying it dry firing- BUTTTTTTT...

(Let me preface this by saying I am 62 years old and have had three surgeries (2 complete rebuilds) of the right shoulder) After a few shots, my right arm started to cramp because of the unnatural angle. Dang! After all that effort, I just had to go back to the factory Saiga buttstock. I know it works well, as I have had fired hundreds of rounds with the factory stock. I still don't want to restore this one with a pistol grip like prior saiga I have had, as I am not a fan of kydex paddles. VERY hard to do a secure one-handed grip while changing mags.

I have RH Solar Tactical paddles for my PTR91 (HK clone), my AR15 retro build, and have had them on prior AK builds and a VZ58 I had. On the AR, if it is a build with a carbine stock, I prefer the Hammerhead (which I also have) as it allows a one hand, secure grip, that feels sorta like an FN P90 PDW grip. On my retro rifle, I use the paddle.

Anyway, since the Saiga comes featureless, it seems silly to me to restore it, only to have to install a paddle to use my pre 1-1-2000 high-caps.. Sort of like taking a perfectly good M1 Carbine, M1A, or Ruger Mini, and putting a pistol grip on it, only to have to use a paddle.

Besides, my favorite long gun IS the USGI M1 carbine. Light, handy, and very deadly at PDW ranges (150ish or less). I took 200 pound deer at 100 yards with one 110 grain JSP Carbine round (1970 FPS @950 lbs ME). Carried it for years as my LEO trunk weapon, and my dad carried one on Iwo Jima and it served him VERY well.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you used the words ultimate, California, and Saiga together I was expecting something more like this:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Toilet-seat-AK-47.jpg
View Quote

Hahaha!  Don't give the stupid Kalifornication legislators any ideas!  Otherwise they will mandate all semi-auto rifles have a toilet seat conversion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
In the past, you have mentioned using aluminum duct work as a heat shield. Do you have any pics of how you did it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
NExt time I break it down, I will take a picture.  I started with a piece about 3" wide and 10" long.  Just made a "U" shaped trough, and cut to fit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NExt time I break it down, I will take a picture.  I started with a piece about 3" wide and 10" long.  Just made a "U" shaped trough, and cut to fit.
View Quote

Ok. Thanks. Did you use the holes for the side panels to secure the pipe to the HG?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok. Thanks. Did you use the holes for the side panels to secure the pipe to the HG?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, those are just plugs.  I am going to use the bottom holes to use a pop rivet to secure the heatshield to the bottom.  Just haven't gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that's funny !!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top