Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 11:34:50 PM EDT
Debated with myself for a couple years about which platform I'd like to invest in, AR or AK.   The price of ammo turned out to be the deciding factor.  After unboxing it strikes me immediately how solidly built this thing feels.   The tapco mag provided with the rifle fits snug and tight.   There are some minor finish wear marks (probably from shipping), nothing really noticeable.  I go to manipulate the safety lever (very stiff) up and down, and now there is a minor scratch in the finish going from "S" to "F" (Was this unavoidable, or could I have done something different?) No big deal again.

Took about 5 business days to get to WA state from the east coast.   Is there a checklist I should be going over on my rifle?   Any advice appreciated.  I'm super excited to be a part of the AK club.   This thing feels like a tank!  Thanks Atlantic!

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
All AK's will scratch the finish where the safety selector rides on the receiver.  Nice looking rifle, now buy a bunch of ammo and surplus mags and get to practicing!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice first post!
If you want to change the stock at all, BoneSteel arms has some replacements. I know there are others as well if you were more inclined to go traditional wood fixed stock, but I don't know who sells those.

Nice looking rifle btw...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know there are others as well if you were more inclined to go traditional wood fixed stock, but I don't know who sells those.
View Quote

Ironwood has a replacement wood stock for slantbacks. Also fairly easy to convert the factory thumbhole stock to a conventional stock.

Nice rifle OP!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  If I understand 922r correctly, ill need to change a couple parts to legally use surplus mags, and I bought this rifle with that plan in mind. (still going to buy some, was looking at the serbian BHO mags on SGammo).  I may end up putting standard AKM style furniture on it, I emailed ironwood and they make stocks for the slant cut receivers... but for now I really like the feel of the stock it comes with.

I will be shooting it this weekend, won't be able to do much accuracy testing at first, more of a function test.   Gonna practice as much as possible.

Will the safety selector loosen with use?  atm it feels really stiff
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, it will start to loosen with use. You can also use a small knife blade, (dull preferably) or a small flat tip screwdriver tip to pry the edge up a bit and loosen it some.

Krebs Custom also has some upgrades such as a bolt hold open safety that you could install as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm very glad you got one. I'm also glad I could help in your decision.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
pop the top cover, rotate the safety to the up position, grab it and bend it out a bit
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm very glad you got one. I'm also glad I could help in your decision.
View Quote

Thanks man, you were right this just feels quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZtQ55nfX30&list=UUSfnZIkdfxiX_QnofHb7u5g (for those wondering)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well I shot it over the weekend, put a mag threw it and it functioned flawlessly (duh its an ak).  One thing is evident, I need a shorter length of pull.  (I'm a small guy)

So I'm wondering what options I have now.   I've been looking into options like the DPH block, RAS adapter, and canisdesigngroup m4 fixed stock adapter.   I just don't know what is possible, and what work would be required.  I have no gun working experience other then cleaning and doing drop in parts like the blackhawk stock for my remington 870.... so the option with the least effort and know how is preferable.

My preferences would be in this order...

1.) Warsaw length synthetic stock
2.) Warsaw length wood stock
3.) Telescoping AR style stock.

I'm basically willing to do anything to shorten the length of pull other then cutting off the tang.  Also would prefer a fixed stock as I know there are some folding stock options available.

Is there any reason something like this couldn't fit with a DPH or RAS adapter?  http://www.k-var.com/shop/AKBSW.html    

How much work and what type of work would be involved?  Is it too large of an undertaking for someone with my limited experience?   How much would it cost to have this type of work done?  I'm basically willing to do anything to shorten the length of pull other then cutting off the tang.

Help school this newb on his options! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eriX723nN-Q

He makes it look easy, but when I hear words like "drill" I get a little nervous.  I really don't want to bubba my gun or stock.   Should be as close to drop in as possible.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The Canis adapters are solid, have not tried the slantback model yet but am about to soon, they work both with adjustable and A2 fixed tubes, so that gives you a lot of options.

For a short LOP, either an adjustable with maybe a Magpul CTR, or an ACE entry stock (7.25 inches + pad) might work, the adapter itself will add an inch of length.

Quoted:

Well I shot it over the weekend, put a mag threw it and it functioned flawlessly (duh its an ak).  One thing is evident, I need a shorter length of pull.  (I'm a small guy)

So I'm wondering what options I have now.   I've been looking into options like the DPH block, RAS adapter, and canisdesigngroup m4 fixed stock adapter.   I just don't know what is possible, and what work would be required.  I have no gun working experience other then cleaning and doing drop in parts like the blackhawk stock for my remington 870.... so the option with the least effort and know how is preferable.

My preferences would be in this order...

1.) Warsaw length synthetic stock
2.) Warsaw length wood stock
3.) Telescoping AR style stock.

I'm basically willing to do anything to shorten the length of pull other then cutting off the tang.  Also would prefer a fixed stock as I know there are some folding stock options available.

Help school this newb on his options! Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Fantastic looking gun. I really want to try a vepr
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fantastic looking gun. I really want to try a vepr
View Quote

You won't be disappointed, everyone should have at least one for their AK collection.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like that Atlantic has the brake on theirs but I really wanted integrated sights instead of the traditional front sight post, so I bought mine off gunbroker.  Once prices drop Ill prob buy a second from Atlantic
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We will probably not offer the integrated sight models they were not very popular
View Quote

I would buy one. MUCH better balanced rifle than the conventional models.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We will probably not offer the integrated sight models they were not very popular

Meh.... I don't think so. I've got 2 integrated sight Vepr's and can't feel any balance difference between them and standard sight versions. On the whole, I like the look and performance of the integrated sights, but wish I'd gone with the traditional models for ease of muzzle device mounting / timing.

-Jim

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#18]
About the safety scratching the finish I have a cure. Remove the safety selector after checking to see if it's binding on the receiver. Then file down the "nub" that is causing the scratching.  Keep trying it out until you get a smooth light drag then polish and crown the nub. Works on my rifles and they stay tight due to the spring type steel contact. Touch up drag mark with cold blue and you will be happy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Doc and guido both gave you good advice on your safty lever I have used both methods with great success.  Vepers are great rifles I own a veper k, you will not be disappointed in it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Please ignore my ignorance but how is the accuracy? Anybody with pictures?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
pop the top cover, rotate the safety to the up position, grab it and bend it out a bit
View Quote

+1

You can also file the nub down a little to make it glide smoother.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]
http://i.imgur.com/tKhur5Yl.jpg

Got 8 east German mags on the way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone make the old version polymer furniture to replace that hideous buttstock? I could live with the forend but would rather replace that as well
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does anyone make the old version polymer furniture to replace that hideous buttstock? I could live with the forend but would rather replace that as well
View Quote

Ronin makes furniture similar to the old Rob Arms stuff:  http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Vepr-Furniture_c16.htm

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ronin makes furniture similar to the old Rob Arms stuff:  http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Vepr-Furniture_c16.htm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Please ignore my ignorance but how is the accuracy? Anybody with pictures?
View Quote

+1 to this question.  VEPR MD2 is on the short list for my next gun purchase, and I'm very curious as to how they shoot.  The Atlantic Firearms write up points to several areas where the VEPR design should produce improved accuracy, but I haven't seen anything quantified.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Wish I could be more help.  Taking it out shooting again this weekend.  I'll try to get some pics of some targets or something.   I've only put maybe 150 rounds threw this rifle so far.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks OP
would love to see a target pic @ 100yds
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]
quick question
do these take standard mags without mods?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#31]
This WILL be my next AK….
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Is there any difference between the Atlantic Arms MD2 VEPR and the Mach1 Arsenal VEPR?   They look identical.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#33]
No answers so I bought one of each so now I know the differences
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Received my VEPR yesterday…didn't go with the MD, but ordered from Centerfire Systems. $499 Labor Day sale….gotta love it!!  Beautiful gun.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top