Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 10:20:21 AM EDT
I want a ak 74 variant and can't decide if I should get a saiga, waffen,vepr .
I'm not to handy neither but If I get a saiga, or vepr I would buy one that is all ready converted so that part be done.
Or go with a ww one or a bad one,and which ones would be easier to fix out of the variants ?
My budget is $1200 max.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
they each have their appeal. I am a huge proponent of self conversions, but the day of cheap parts is long gone. With your budget, I'd suggest an SGL31-94 or one of the new SLR 104's.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they each have their appeal. I am a huge proponent of self conversions, but the day of cheap parts is long gone. With your budget, I'd suggest an SGL31-94 or one of the new SLR 104's.
View Quote

What do you mean by this?

I'm about to buy a Saiga that I want to convert myself and I found a sight that gets mentioned here a lot that sells the whole conversion for $150.  Seems reasonable, did it used to be a lot cheaper or something?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
to do a full conversion, you need the following parts:

trigger guard

gas tube

lower HG retainer

gas block

FSB

comp

1000m rear site

stock set.

All these parts used to be a lot cheaper than they are now. That's what I mean. I could buy a SAIGA and all conversion parts for about $600. In today's market, it will cost one about the same price an Arsenal rifle to do a full blown conversion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
to do a full conversion, you need the following parts:

trigger guard
gas tube
lower HG retainer
gas block
FSB
comp
1000m rear site
stock set.

All these parts used to be a lot cheaper than they are now. That's what I mean. I could buy a SAIGA and all conversion parts for about $600. In today's market, it will cost one about the same price an Arsenal rifle to do a full blown conversion.
View Quote

Oh I see what you mean, you're talking full conversion and I'm quoting just the rear half.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Even rear half prices have gotten more expensive, but most things tend to.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

so where can I find one at and how is the Warranty on?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not to handy neither but If I get a saiga, or vepr I would buy one that is all ready converted so that part be done.
Or go with a ww one or a bad one,and which ones would be easier to fix out of the variants ?
My budget is $1200 max.
View Quote

I very recently got a Waffen 74. Awesome round...they replaced the cracked front forearm no question with another cracked one so I bought all new wood from Apex. Now the finish is the  issue, But love the gun.

I have a Saiga 7.62 and a Vepr .308. The Vepr is superior above all by far. Both will be better than the Waffen but Vepr and Saiga can be finicky with the magazines.

At your budget, I'd go Saiga or Vepr and all the mags you can get to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My budget is $1200 max.
View Quote

I would say with your budget its a no brainer.

Arsenal SLR104FR  $983.16 + shipping ~$25 + FFL $15 = $1023.16

The remaining $175 can get you 6 high quality surplus mags.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Assuming I had no 74's, I would go with an Arsenal 74 or a Russian SGL-31.
Both are obtainable for for your budget.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you finding one at that price  everything I see is 1200 and up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in the same position as you OP.

Decided on the Arsenal SLR104

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my SGL31-85. I wanted the triangle folder though, you may not want one. Also, I got mine for $1100. I doubt I'd bay $1350+ for an AK now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where are you finding one at that price  everything I see is 1200 and up.
View Quote

I am thinking about picking up a 104 so I have had my eye on gun watcher. http://www.gunwatcher.com/

I will pm you the two lower prices as I am not sure if they are contributors or not.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Thx
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top