Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 8:00:58 PM EDT
I just picked up a wasr3 from my ffl that I bought from outa state. It didn't come with a mag and that was understood during the sale. I ordered a new wieger mag and it won't fit.
So now I'm trying to figure out what I have here. S/n is WASR3000xx, is this an early one or late? Doesnt seam to be like most s/n markings I've seen. Gas block (a little catywampus) looks to be 90 deg.
The mag body back end, where the feed lips stiffener plates are fits fine but the fwd end where the fwd catch doubler plate is the receiver is not wide enough, without the fwd catch doubler that I'm assuming catches on the trunnion it would go.
Do I have a single stack? Or a half converted double stack? Am I screwed?  Thanks in advance for any clarity of what is going on here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics would help a lot!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
As already stated, pics would help a lot.  If the Weiger mag doesn't fit in the front, it could have been brought in as a single stack and modified once it got into the states.  Since it didn't come with any mags at all, does the seller have a picture he can send you of the mags that he was using with the rifle?

Is it the sheet metal that is the wrong size, or is the bullet guide/front trunion also the wrong size too?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The Romanian made Weiger mag clones can have dodgy QC,  but pics would help.

The WASR-3 should run  with a variety of 5.56 AK mags if the mag well is properly machined,  including Galil mags,  Yugo mags, and Tapco clones of both  as well as some others.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As already stated, pics would help a lot.  If the Weiger mag doesn't fit in the front, it could have been brought in as a single stack and modified once it got into the states.  Since it didn't come with any mags at all, does the seller have a picture he can send you of the mags that he was using with the rifle?

Is it the sheet metal that is the wrong size, or is the bullet guide/front trunion also the wrong size too?
View Quote

The shop took it in trade, they didn't know much about it.
It is only sheet metal/reciever interference the trunnion would clear it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Romanian made Weiger mag clones can have dodgy QC,  but pics would help.

The WASR-3 should run  with a variety of 5.56 AK mags if the mag well is properly machined,  including Galil mags,  Yugo mags, and Tapco clones of both  as well as some others.
View Quote

I got the mag from apex, for the price I'm hoping it isn't a clone.
I did measure the Weiger mag, it is .847" at the fwd end and .962" at the aft end, my receiver cut out is .743" at the fwd end and .964" at the aft end.

I think that .050" removed from the receiver on each side at the fwd end would make it gtg, but I only have that 1 mag for comparison and I'm kinda shy about going all choppy chop on my receiver without any more info.

If anyone could measure their mag well and a couple mags for comparison help me gain some reassurance i would have no problem trimming the mag well a little.

If galil mags are gtg with these may get a couple of them too.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got 5 of the super nice & well made Yugoslavian all Metal 5.56 30 round magazines that I'm going to list on the E.E.

Sent you EM / IM - let me know either way.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
IM reply sent to you sir, thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
A small update
I got a promag pretty cheap and it popped right in with no problems. So I'm leaning towards the mag needing fitting, not the mag well.
New question now is it common for weiger mags to have to be fitted to the gun?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had to use a file to fit almost every Weiger/Romanian Weiger copy to my WASR-3. ProMag and Circle 10 magazines fit just fine without alteration. Probably the same for yours. Nothing wrong with the rifle.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top