Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2015 8:35:16 AM EDT
 I have been offered this deal and I am thinking about it real hard. But waiting on information about condition and other questions this is how it was presented to me. "Romanian made with four mags, mag pouch, leather sling, extra upper and lower hand guards. He says a scope cover comes with it if he can find it. $1400". What do I need to know about this rifle. I am thinking this is a good price. 
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the sights straight or canted?   Does the gun come with a scope?  What power?  Does the scope go on and off easily?

Iron sights being canted and out of spec scope rails are the major problems with PSL's

Early guns had threaded muzzle brakes that were tack welded for import.  If you want to change to a different muzzle device, these are a premium over the later pressed on and pinned brakes

The buttstock is spring-loaded and should move 3/8" or so when pressed with 20-30 lbs

Many PSL's have weak recoil springs and will not drive the bolt over the back of the hammer if the bolt is eased up to the hammer.  Its not a big deal and the bolt should fly home when released from the back ... but it probably indicates the gun will pitch empty cases 30 or 40 ft.  If the bolt moves forward over the hammer no matter how slowly you move it, that spring is a keeper.

The most common ammo for any 54r rifle is corrosive surplus.  If the gun shows any pitting or red or brown residue in the breech or muzzle or around the bolt, carrier, dust cover or recoil spring, pass on this gun that was never properly cleaned.

The price is good, but not exceptional
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks  for the info. any more you care to share will be more then helpful

I have not seen the rifle yet hope to soon It does have a scope but I don't know what one. He said it does have a bayonet lug on the front.

it is a friend of a friend deal, he said the guy selling it is anal about cleaning it but have not seen it.
I was thinking the price is ok price but not a jump on price. I am thinking about stating out at $1000 and  moving up to $1200, I feel bad doing this because i was told the  seller lost his job and needs the money.  I don't want to take advantage of the guy but I don't want to over pay either. I want a fair deal for him and a good deal for me . Would the $1000 starting point be a fair price to start and is the top of my list $1200 too low?

I have a bunch of the 147 gr silver tip 7.62x54R ammo  for my mosin rifle collection, would this be good to shoot? yes I know it is corrosive and need to be cleaned after use.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 I have been offered this deal and I am thinking about it real hard. But waiting on information about condition and other questions this is how it was presented to me. "Romanian made with four mags, mag pouch, leather sling, extra upper and lower hand guards. He says a scope cover comes with it if he can find it. $1400". What do I need to know about this rifle. I am thinking this is a good price. 
View Quote

Just realized you're a Marylander.  Lou at Shooter's Discount had them in September 2013 brand new for under $1,000 with two mags.  He hasn't had any more since, but I'd say that $1,400 price is high.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
if things look good I am thinking about offering $1000 cash and going up to $1200, I just don't want to try and take advantage of him. but I also don't want to be taken advantage of if that makes since. I know when I try and sell something I always start high and willing to work down hope he is doing the same
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
since this rifle has a bayonet lug. what bayonet will fit it? and where to find one?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just realized you're a Marylander.  Lou at Shooter's Discount had them in September 2013 brand new for under $1,000 with two mags.  He hasn't had any more since, but I'd say that $1,400 price is high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not clear whether these are legal for Marylanders to buy at this time.  Most FFL's will refuse to do a transfer, but a few like Duffy's are actually looking into importing new PSL's if possible.

If your friend is not in MD, its doubtful you will find an FFL willing to do the transfer.   If you are both in MD ... better to delete this thread.

The problem is the lack of clarity in MD law.  Rifles with "AK action" are banned in MD, but only the trigger actually interchanges between an AK and a PSL.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
You are right in md larws are screw up. They do not mention  the PSL however they do say the Dragunov Chinese made semi–auto is named  but nothing about one made in any other country. By letter of the law if you finf a Russian made one you are with in the law. The PSL may look like an ak action it is not one. It is more closely copy of the dragunov. They say ak in any format if that included any action that looked like an am  they would not had to specify the Chinese version of the dragunov it would have been already included under the ban. By them addind theDragunov Chinese made semi–auto as a separate ban firearm they are saying it isn't an ak action.
It is anyone's guess how they could take the laws.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#8]
First thing I'd ask if the seller purchased the PSL cash and carry or regulated.  If he purchased it regulated and it can easily be traced to him, if I were him I would def get an FFL involved in the transfer.  If that means selling it out of state, so be it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
since this rifle has a bayonet lug. what bayonet will fit it? and where to find one?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure any AK bayonet will fit.  I put one on mine once but it looked stupid.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You are right in md larws are screw up. They do not mention  the PSL however they do say the Dragunov Chinese made semi–auto is named  but nothing about one made in any other country. By letter of the law if you finf a Russian made one you are with in the law. The PSL may look like an ak action it is not one. It is more closely copy of the dragunov. They say ak in any format if that included any action that looked like an am  they would not had to specify the Chinese version of the dragunov it would have been already included under the ban. By them addind theDragunov Chinese made semi–auto as a separate ban firearm they are saying it isn't an ak action.
It is anyone's guess how they could take the laws.
View Quote

Methinks you might want to look at the actions again. The SKS and the Dragunov had similar short stoke pistons, the AK and PSL had long stroke pistons. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just don't want you to get thrown in Maryland jail if their laws are based on the construction of the gun. I know most gun stores aren't too keen about letting you field strip the gun before purchasing.

That being said, the PSL is a fine rifle and you should have plenty of fun with it. Got mine for 570 out the door in 2009.

If you can find Wolf ammo with the copper wash to the case, that's the good stuff that wont break the bank. It looks like surplus but its not.  Keep the bullet weight under 150 gr.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First thing I'd ask if the seller purchased the PSL cash and carry or regulated.  If he purchased it regulated and it can easily be traced to him, if I were him I would def get an FFL involved in the transfer.  If that means selling it out of state, so be it.
View Quote

Ricky, you need to look at the SVD vs PSL videos on YouTube ... the PSL does not share action or construction with the SVD (other than the cartridge and barrel profile)

If the seller bought the gun in MD, it was purchased as "regulated" just as handguns are and there is record at MSP.   If the seller is not in MD, the PSL can't be transfered into MD.  You won't find a dealer not afraid of the MD "AK action" prohibition.   The PSL definitely uses AK "action", not the short stroke action of the NDM, SVD or SKS, but it is not a direct part for part copy of any other gun ... as I said previously, only single hook AK triggers interchange, all other parts are unique to the PSL. MD law prohibits AK action rifles, but goes on to say that some parts of the law only apply to "copies", so the fact that a PSL is NOT really an AK nor an AK copy makes the situation as clear as mud.  FFL's value their licenses and err on the safe side ... no PSL's in MD.

Semantically ... there are no copies of the Chinese NDM ... the NDM is a copy of the SVD - but I don't think you will find a judge willing to let you buy an SVD in MD just because the MD legislature copied thier "evil assault weapon" list from a poorly written magazine article 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
When I purchased my NDM there was a "free state of meerland," run from Annapolis. Sadly, pathetically the free state part has cast over and all eyes turn to the District of Columbia..

Managed to escape prior to the debacle myself. I continue to "feel" for those left behind.

O'Malley in 2016, anyone?

Any PSL for a grand is overpriced IMHO. Firearms of all stripes seem to be losing value currently, not gaining. Ammo is a different matter of course and therein lies the "real cost" of any acquisition of hardware over time.

And should it come with an original Romy optical gun sight ... well, handle at your own risk.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I purchased my NDM there was a "free state of meerland," run from Annapolis. Sadly, pathetically the free state part has cast over and all eyes turn to the District of Columbia..

Managed to escape prior to the debacle myself. I continue to "feel" for those left behind.

O'Malley in 2016, anyone?

Any PSL for a grand is overpriced IMHO. Firearms of all stripes seem to be losing value currently, not gaining. Ammo is a different matter of course and therein lies the "real cost" of any acquisition of hardware over time.

And should it come with an original Romy optical gun sight ... well, handle at your own risk.
View Quote

Not sure if I can agree with that.  It depends more on supply and demand, rather than in general.  When I bought my PSL a number of years ago I paid $600 for it and I thought I was getting ripped off.  Now that the suppy has dried up I find they're going for $1200 on Gunbroker...when they actually show up for sale, that is.  95% of the PSL ads are for parts, not complete guns.  The same deal with Chinese SKS rifles; when they first showed up on the market by the crate load I remembered they cost NINETY DOLLARS.  Now that the supply has dried up and they've all been squirreled away, even the beat up Junkers go for $300.

A Mossberg 500 however...forget it.  There are millions of the things out there and they're still being made to this day.  I'd be lucky if I got $100 for mine.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top