Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2011 10:56:04 AM EDT
I give up trying to figure this out. What is the difference between the SAR-1 and the WASR? And on the WASR 10, is the GP WASR 10/63 the same as a WASR 10? All of the different terminology is blowing my mind.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
SAR-1s were early Romanian imported rifles that remained pretty much factory, but needed US parts. These are pretty good rifles. WASRs are the newer imported guns that were neutered. They had new receivers, the funky stocks, and were single stack magazine only - but they didn't need US parts. Then some Century Arms monkeys dremeled the fuck out of the inside to allow for regular magazines. GP, from what I read, are the newest barrels from our country per ATF decree.  

WASRs should not have dimples. SAR-1s will. I think the finish of the WASRs are nicer, but them being monkey dicked isn't appealing to me. I think trigger slap still exists, too. It's easy to fix - just Google. If SAR-1s and WASRs are the same price, I'd go for the SAR-1, it's about as close to the real deal as you can get.

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I give up trying to figure this out. What is the difference between the SAR-1 and the WASR? And on the WASR 10, is the GP WASR 10/63 the same as a WASR 10? All of the different terminology is blowing my mind.

SARs have a receiver which accept a standard magazine as built.
WASR-10s were made with a receiver which accepted a single stack 10 shot magazine as imported. The rifles were made from new production parts. They were made until late 2004 or early 2005. Century machined (not dremeled as some fantasize) the magazine well and locator tabs out to accept standard double stack magazines.
WASR-10/63s are made from surplus rifles which are disassembled and then reassembled on single stack receivers. The Romanians began disassembling/reassembling them after the barrel ban of 2005. Century opens the magazine well and tabs as they did with the WASR-10.
Since the middle of last year WASR-10/63s have had new production Romanian made (NOT US made, as the uninformed believe) barrels, because the current administration ruled that barrels which were previously installed on military rifles can not be imported even as a part of a "sporting" rifle. The rest of the parts (except the receiver) are Romanian military surplus.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So are the new production romanian barrels of the same quality as the military surplus barrels?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So are the new production romanian barrels of the same quality as the military surplus barrels?

Yes according to reports here from dealers they are the same .mil spec barrels, just brand spanking new, not reassembled from a demilled rifle as they were previously.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
So is a GP Wasr 10/63 the same as a "Wasr 10"?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From what I've seen the WASR 10 normally has no barrel threads or bayonet lug, the WASR 10/63 has both.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bought a Romaina  WASR 10/63 GP double stack no lug no cleaning rod CAI  tell me did I make a good purchase prices are up $ 594 OTD
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We're having trouble communicating.
A WASR-10 is made from ALL NEW production parts, some Romanian, some US made compliance parts.
A WASR 10/63 made before mid-2010 is made from surplus parts EXCEPT for the receiver and the US compliance parts.
A WASR 10/63 made after mid-2010 is made from surplus parts EXCEPT for the receiver, the barrel and the US compliance parts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
But regardless it still has a romanian barrel?! I'm sorry for the ridiculous redundancy, I'm just trying to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But regardless it still has a romanian barrel?! I'm sorry for the ridiculous redundancy, I'm just trying to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.

Yes, ALL WASR's (10 and 10/63) have chrome lined .mil spec barrels. Some people get the Century GP 1975 (which uses a GM non chrome lined barrel) confused with the WASR's. If it says WASR on it it has (or is supposed to have) a chrome lined .mil spec barrel.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top