Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 9:19:49 AM EDT
So I have occasional light primer strikes with my NHM-91.

I have been researching, and have heard that this can be fixed by replacing the bolt since the NHM-91 has a ground down/stepped  bolt and firing pin.

I was wondering if this is the bolt I should buy to replace my current bolt.

http://stores.polytechparts.com/ak47-polytech-complete-bolt-fully-assembled-chinese-ak-rifle/

My current bolt is free float, while the new Poly-Tech bolt is spring loaded.

There is a review on the sight for this bolt by a person who replaced their shorter free float bolt with this, but it was a MAK-90

I understand that this will need to be head spaced, and I plan on having a gunsmith do that.

I am just wanting to make sure that this bolt is compatible before I buy I buy it, as it is very expensive.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You do not have to specifically use a Chinese bolt. Any bolt, except the newer thin stem bolt will work as long as it is head spaced to the rifle.  GARY
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do not have to specifically use a Chinese bolt. Any bolt, except the newer thin stem bolt will work as long as it is head spaced to the rifle.  GARY
View Quote

Have you personally done this?

I have read that with Chinese AKs, you cannot just drop in a European bolt. They have to be Chinese.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. One day, just for sh$ts & giggles I stuck a bolt from a milled Bulgy AK in my Mak 90, & squeezed off 5 shots. Didn't even check for head space. Worked fine. GARY
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes. One day, just for sh$ts & giggles I stuck a bolt from a milled Bulgy AK in my Mak 90, & squeezed off 5 shots. Didn't even check for head space. Worked fine. GARY
View Quote

Huh, didn't know you worked for IO.

OP, I hope that you will check headspace with an actual gauge after installing your new bolt. If you can find a Bulgarian, Polish, Hungarian, etc. Type 3 bolt that would be a close design match to your Chinese bolt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't, & I also don't build guns to sell to the public. But I wanted to see if the bulgy bolt would work, & it did, just fine. While I wouldn't have left the bolt in there forever, I felt that for my own "will it work", it did, w/o any problem. If my Chinese bolt had died, & that bolt was going in as a replacement, I'd have had it properly head spaced.  GARY
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't, & I also don't build guns to sell to the public. But I wanted to see if the bulgy bolt would work, & it did, just fine. While I wouldn't have left the bolt in there forever, I felt that for my own "will it work", it did, w/o any problem. If my Chinese bolt had died, & that bolt was going in as a replacement, I'd have had it properly head spaced.  GARY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know that you don't work at IO. It was a joke.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I have occasional light primer strikes with my NHM-91.

I have been researching, and have heard that this can be fixed by replacing the bolt since the NHM-91 has a ground down/stepped  bolt and firing pin.

I was wondering if this is the bolt I should buy to replace my current bolt.

http://stores.polytechparts.com/ak47-polytech-complete-bolt-fully-assembled-chinese-ak-rifle/

My current bolt is free float, while the new Poly-Tech bolt is spring loaded.

There is a review on the sight for this bolt by a person who replaced their shorter free float bolt with this, but it was a MAK-90

I understand that this will need to be head spaced, and I plan on having a gunsmith do that.

I am just wanting to make sure that this bolt is compatible before I buy I buy it, as it is very expensive.

Thanks!
View Quote

Yes, it should be compatible, but you have no way of knowing if it will head-space properly.  If it doesn't, you have an expensive paperweight.

This is my thread on the subject.  I happened to have 2 spare Chinese bolts and one of them head-spaced perfectly.  However, that was pure luck on my part.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_78/160736_FTF__Light_primer_strike_with_question_of_soft_firing_pin_on_an_NHM_91__Updated_04_03_2016.html
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top