Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/21/2015 3:35:09 PM EDT
This MAK 90 followed me home. kinda cool. Has a "stock options" stock which i have read turned into ACE. The stock is steel and gives a 14" length of pull while the standard is 12.75" I may cut an inch out of it some day if I cannot get used to it that way. I was wanting a folder as I take an ak with me all the time and like how they fit on the floor of the car. So. I plan on leaving that stock on it and not adding a muzzle brake as it measures .520 and I don't think that is good for any type of threading... correct me if i am wrong. It has a couple holes drilled and trapped in the side, for what i am not sure. I may add a side rail to cover up this and give me a mounting option that doesn't screw with the top cover. I love the smooth look of the top cover. Right now I have no plans other than shoot the thing. I had a bushmaster Hbar that I had $550 in and I traded for this, i also got 500 rounds of bernal ammo and two mags. One Chinese flat back one Romanian. What I don' want to do is invest hundreds to get it to type 56 configuration as this is a shooter and a carry gun. What are your thoughts?
Aaron

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish Ace [or someone] still made the adapter that goes between the receiver & the butt stock. Ace no longer makes them, & they are unobtainium. I have 2 milled MAK's that need that adapter. GARY
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle. I think the mak 90 with a sidefolder makes an excellent truck gun. I wish I could find that configuration to put on my mak91.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice looking weapon.

You shouldn't have any problems threading the barrel though as far as I know.  Most of these milled versions never had any existing threads to begin with so the OD is still true, unlike some of the stamped versions that had the threads turned off prior to resale.  Even these though have safe options for rethreading... let me know if you would like some more information and I can try to get it for you.

The holes on the side were probably for an external scope mount of some sort.  Do a google image search for "polytech scope mount" and you will see what I am talking about.

Also, one additional thing you can check just to see on your rifle is if it has a spring loaded firing pin or not.  Doesn't really make a difference either way, but the "mil-spec" requires the spring loaded option and some of these milled versions have them and some do not. The end of the bolt will have a rounded "button" the hammer strikes versus a small "slot".  You may know this already, but if not... there ya go!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 milled MAK90's. The one with the light wood as pictured in the OP has a floating pin. But the one with dark brown wood, like a Poly Legend has the spring loaded pin. My 30+ years in the business tells me they use what parts they have on the day they build the item. I've seen MAK90's where the trigger guard is attached with 4 rivets, while Chinese guns use 2 rivets normally. Remember the 3 hole receivers used to build semi guns. They couldn't stop the assembly line, so they were used to assemble the guns.  GARY
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed... the only thing that is consistent about Chinese AK's is that they are inconsistent :)
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed... the only thing that is consistent about Chinese AK's is that they are inconsistent :)
View Quote
LOL. So true.  GARY
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice looking weapon.

You shouldn't have any problems threading the barrel though as far as I know.  Most of these milled versions never had any existing threads to begin with so the OD is still true, unlike some of the stamped versions that had the threads turned off prior to resale.  Even these though have safe options for rethreading... let me know if you would like some more information and I can try to get it for you.

The holes on the side were probably for an external scope mount of some sort.  Do a google image search for "polytech scope mount" and you will see what I am talking about.

Also, one additional thing you can check just to see on your rifle is if it has a spring loaded firing pin or not.  Doesn't really make a difference either way, but the "mil-spec" requires the spring loaded option and some of these milled versions have them and some do not. The end of the bolt will have a rounded "button" the hammer strikes versus a small "slot".  You may know this already, but if not... there ya go!
View Quote

No, the "MIL. SPEC" does NOT call for a spring loaded firing pin. That was a US only thing in order to add a safety feature in case the rifle was fired with ammo. using softer than mil.-spec primers. The rifle can have either one but if you're concerned with the "mil.-spec" aspect of things then technically the free floating FP is correct.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top