Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2014 8:43:07 PM EDT
Hi, I recently found what I felt was a good deal on a Norinco, straight cut,  barreled receiver. I am now on the quest for a carrier and bolt for it. I am not an AK guru, so I am seeking advise, I should say, that this is not intended to be a museum piece, just a budget (i.e. shoestring) shooter. Is there any other bolt/carrier that is more common (cheap) that is compatable, or am I stuck scouring Gunbroker and the equipment exchange looking for the real McCoy? Thank you all in advance.

E.T.A I found this thread that touches on the subject
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi, I recently found what I felt was a good deal on a Norinco, straight cut,  barreled receiver. I am now on the quest for a carrier and bolt for it. I am not an AK guru, so I am seeking advise, I should say, that this is not intended to be a museum piece, just a budget (i.e. shoestring) shooter. Is there any other bolt/carrier that is more common (cheap) that is compatable, or am I stuck scouring Gunbroker and the equipment exchange looking for the real McCoy? Thank you all in advance.

E.T.A I found this thread that touches on the subject
View Quote

Polytechparts sells chinese bolts and bolt carriers:
http://stores.polytechparts.com/all-ak-47/
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to rain on your parade but you have chosen what is now high dollar parts (Chinese) to try and do a budget build. What you may want to try is scouring the funshows and trying to find some deals there. Most folks who have the chicom parts realize what they are going for since they haven't been imported in 25+ years. Other than that GB and the EE are your best bet but if it's a Chinese part I doubt it will be "budget". You may want to see if you can trade the Chinese barreled receiver for a more complete parts kit from another country of origin if all you're looking for is a budget shooter. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade but you have chosen what is now high dollar parts (Chinese) to try and do a budget build. What you may want to try is scouring the funshows and trying to find some deals there. Most folks who have the chicom parts realize what they are going for since they haven't been imported in 25+ years. Other than that GB and the EE are your best bet but if it's a Chinese part I doubt it will be "budget". You may want to see if you can trade the Chinese barreled receiver for a more complete parts kit from another country of origin if all you're looking for is a budget shooter. YMMV.
View Quote

IMHO it will be worth it to spend the bit extra to get "matching" parts. Chinese guns are collectable, and if OP got a deal on the barreled receiver, then it may pay off someday selling it as an all Chinese as opposed to a mutt. Like you said, Chinese prices are rising, so done correctly he should profit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, thank you. I find that I should be able to spend $200 or so and get the correct parts. However, I am curious about the assertion that cheaper Yugo parts will fit?

E.T.A I paid $120, so I have a little wiggle room without blowing the bank
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It will still be a "mutt" because it won't have matching numbers. Plus you will have to spend more money to have the gun head spaced. But you will pay through the nose for new Poly parts. I have seen used bolt/carrier groups for under $100 at gun shows.  GARY
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Well thank you guys for the replies. I ended up just springing for a bunch of mak parts. While not as cheap as if Yugo had worked (was having hard time confirming) it still seemed the best thing. I will still need to deal with headspacing I guess.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top