Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 2:15:20 AM EDT
I have a friend who wants to trade a factory  SA 85 with the thumbhole stock for my MISR S/A w: crutch folder.

I'd like to move the FSB back and permanently attach a brake to a shorter barrel for a 16 inch barrel.

From all accounts, I have heard the Hungarian guns are about as good as they get.

Would I be destroying a collectible?

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say no. Does it have the regular or the short gas system? Right now is a good time for the conversion with the availability of correct Hungarian parts. It might be worth a little more if it is converted but it won't be near the value of a Kassnar import.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll try to check it out tomorrow. I think it's regular AK. I seem to remember the gas block and FSB being smooth on the bottom with no cleaning rod  if that gives any clues
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If it were a pre-ban, I'd say keep it pristine, but yours is a "ban" version.
I'd modify away; I've done it twice.  Outstanding shooters.
Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll try to check it out tomorrow. I think it's regular AK. I seem to remember the gas block and FSB being smooth on the bottom with no cleaning rod  if that gives any clues
View Quote

The KBI will be missing the bayo lug and have no threads on the end of the BBL. They imported these with a normal length gas system and later the shorter AMD gas system. The piston will be shorter on the later imports.. The gas block will also be further back on the bbl as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The FEGs are pretty valuable and only going to go higher. I would not make any permanent mods to it. I look at cutting the barrel as an exceptionally bad idea since the barrel has to be removed to do it - you basically have to de-construct the gun, after which you have to re-construct it but without the factory jigs/fixtures, so it most likely will be a crooked, skewed assembly. In short, to do what you want to an $800 rifle will make it a $400 rifle if it even can be done at all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FEGs are pretty valuable and only going to go higher. I would not make any permanent mods to it. I look at cutting the barrel as an exceptionally bad idea since the barrel has to be removed to do it - you basically have to de-construct the gun, after which you have to re-construct it but without the factory jigs/fixtures, so it most likely will be a crooked, skewed assembly. In short, to do what you want to an $800 rifle will make it a $400 rifle if it even can be done at all.
View Quote

This.

Threading the barrel for a muzzle device and changing furniture will alter the gun quite a bit to the fun side, without destroying value. Cutting the barrel and permanently affixing a muzzle device, will almost assuredly reduce the value, and in the hundreds of dollars. I'd pay 800 bucks in a heartbeat for another SA-85m, I probably wouldn't buy one at all with the OP's described mods, unless it were dirt cheap, maybe 350-400 bucks if it didn't look too bad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
In a sa85 regular gas length conversion I don't think the deban will cause the rifle to lose value but to a collector it won't increase the value either.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top