Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2013 8:30:39 PM EDT
I am trying to get my hands on original blonde
furniture for a pre ban Hungarian FEG SA85M. I am holding off on ordering from Ironwood in an effort to get originals. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, took me 5 years to find the stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
You might cut to the chase and just use a Bulgarian blonde stock with the 'flute' cut into the side. You can always find the original pistol grips because so many came in with AMD65 kits. If you decide to hold out for an original FEG stock, be aware of a few things - the mil-issue wood stocks were usually teak-stained, and you probably would not be able to make the stock blonde again. But if you got such a stock and like that color, you could stain the rest of the wood to match. The FEG blonde stocks are smooth-sided with no flute cut in them. They have the sling loop mounted on the bottom, not the side. It will have the military buttplate with trap door for cleaning kit.

Notice the slight gap at the receiver - you need the clearance to prevent splitting off chunks of wood. it's very slight - less than 1/16". If you get a new stock it will be too large to enter the receiver fully, so it has to be fitted. Be very careful/methodical in fitting so you don't end up with a crooked installation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry OP, can't help you but this made me think of something.  I see these types of posts a lot and I've always wondered if anyone has tried to convert the thumb-hole stock from the ban rifles to a standard stock.  I took my thumb-hole off my ban SA85-M long ago and haven't given it a thought since.  I'm not a wood-worker either but it seems like someone with enough skill could work the ban stock back into a normal AK stock.  Then you just track down the pistol grip from a AMD and you're good.

Thoughts from the forum?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you look at a picture of the thumbhole stock, you can see that it could never look the same as the separate parts.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you look at a picture of the thumbhole stock, you can see that it could never look the same as the separate parts.

<a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/user/INLAND44/media/Guns/SA85M.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/SA85M.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks for pointing that out.  I took mine off so long ago I had forgotten how it actually looked, but in your pic it makes it pretty clear.  Stupid post, sorry.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Not stupid at all. All of us probably thought that at some point, but it just can't work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
. If you decide to hold out for an original FEG stock, be aware of a few things - the mil-issue wood stocks were usually teak-stained, and you probably would not be able to make the stock blonde again.  .com/user/INLAND44/media/Guns/stock.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/stock.jpg</a>

View Quote

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have been wondering for a long time what kind of wood do I have on my Kassnar? Is this Mil-issue Teak-stained? Every SA-85M I ever seen has Beach/blond wood except my Kassnar which I had since 1992 NIB. Someone said "It's just dirty"  

</a>" />
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm no expert, but I do have an SA-85M

Just from one layman's viewpoint, it sure looks like real Hungarian furniture.  The grip is squared-off, something I have not seen on many other AKs other than FEG.  The buttstock does not have side cuts in it like others do.

Just a guess, but it looks like FEG blonde furniture that has been stained.  Not dirty, but stained.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a blond set with handguards and stock, just no pistol grip. Bought them for a '74 build that never happened. They would made great Chinese furniture if you didn't want a lot of dark wood grain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have been wondering for a long time what kind of wood do I have on my Kassnar? Is this Mil-issue Teak-stained? Every SA-85M I ever seen has Beach/blond wood except my Kassnar which I had since 1992 NIB. Someone said "It's just dirty"  

http://<a href=http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/ctmules/1b4c8458-b3ef-47f2-8399-b6ef1e8ce1cb_zps21d8d3fc.jpg</a>" />
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. If you decide to hold out for an original FEG stock, be aware of a few things - the mil-issue wood stocks were usually teak-stained, and you probably would not be able to make the stock blonde again.  .com/user/INLAND44/media/Guns/stock.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/stock.jpg</a>

http://<a href=http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/ctmules/1b4c8458-b3ef-47f2-8399-b6ef1e8ce1cb_zps21d8d3fc.jpg</a>" />

I would think that is Bubba juice on the stock too. It appears in exactly the places you would grab, hold, or place your skin. It was also probably a darker set to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some from my pre ban Hungarian I am exploring letting go...for a price....

Not letting it go for a song or dance but exploring on it...being the last one I saw last year sold for over 300 or so.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not stupid at all. All of us probably thought that at some point, but it just can't work.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree. Granted the buttstock would not look the same, but you could still make it look decent and be fully functional. The pistol grip has enough meat on it to make it look like anything you want, including a factory Hungarian grip.

I have done this on dozens of thumbhole stocks, it's not even that hard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
A set sold on GB for 185. That was the butt stock and hand guards. Seems like it was a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I watched that set with a lot of interest...but damn. 185 is just too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree. Granted the buttstock would not look the same, but you could still make it look decent and be fully functional. The pistol grip has enough meat on it to make it look like anything you want, including a factory Hungarian grip.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see that.  You've got a lot of banned SA-85M owners out there with thumb-hole stocks sitting around doing nothing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]
185 isn't really that bad. A IWD set is about 165 and that still needs fitted and finished.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would like to see that.  You've got a lot of banned SA-85M owners out there with thumb-hole stocks sitting around doing nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I got myself one now, so I may take a shot at it, but damn, that stock is really nice for a thumbhole stock...heavy too, good wood. But I can't seem to find a wood Hungarian grip anywhere, so may try it.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top