Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2012 3:20:13 PM EDT
How many kits was truly imported? I have heard 400, 700, 1000, 1500! I know Copes did some and TG has some too. I was told TG sold them to Copes or at least 700 of them. What about the amd-63 kits too?  What migh the AMMS 100% grade maybe test fired only and AMD-63 80% grade kits be worth now with all matching numbers? Mods move this if in the wrong place as I am new to the board. Thank you Mods! And Thank you to any that have info also!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The kits sold fast and was very very limited.

I would estimate at least 5k of the AK63D and E  and 15-20k of the 65 kits.

AMMS kits sold rather fast and far between.

I remember getting mines for 169.99 and I was barely able to get one and that is how fast they quickly sold.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 63 kit in the closet. What's the difference between the D and E kits?
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I dunno how many but I have heard anywhere between 500 and 2,000 on the akm-63's but regardless I wouldent ask any lower then $600-$700 for a complete kit seeing you don't see them everyday.

I had mine built on a Hungarian sa2000m receiver that TGI imported in 99 or 2000 I believe

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
$600-$700? Damn maybe I'll put it on the EE!
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Honestly $500 (minumium) is more realistic and will sell pretty quick at that price but with the barrel import ban and the kits being uncommon $600 or $700 is not out of line and they will sell for that especially the akm-63
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly $500 (minumium) is more realistic and will sell pretty quick at that price but with the barrel import ban and the kits being uncommon $600 or $700 is not out of line and they will sell for that especially the akm-63

Told ya
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate the days of the good kits are gone when they was with barrels and matching numbers. I was lucky to have got some of all the kits 8 amd 65 , 4 sa 85, 3 amd 63, 2 amms kits maybe I will sell some soon of the ones I didn't build yet?
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a fore arm and grip and made a naked gas tube so I could convert my SA85M back and forth as I felt like it. Looks pretty good, obviously should have the mil sight base and gas block along with mil finish, but it sure makes a cool range toy. I use an original AMD65 brake because it shoots better with it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to sell some or one of your kits message me prefer the 63...ferencd
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I noticed you were interested in an amd 63 kit.  I stated a screw build on one several years ago and did not finish after I did an amd 65 kit.  Got back into doing ar15's.  

I have all the legal parts, receiver and tapco stock and the old blonde stock too.
Its one of the original kits with all the matching numbers.
I have taped several of the receiver areas for screw build  but was going have someone do a  rivet  build on it because I’m not happy about screw builds.

Anyway let my know if you are interested as I live on the Olympic peninsula.- in WA state
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have a 63 kit in the closet. What's the difference between the D and E kits?

This. Anybody?

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
For the record, there is NO SUCH thing as a AMD63...

That's not the proper designation.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For the record, there is NO SUCH thing as a AMD63...

That's not the proper designation.

What would be the proper designation then?  There seems to be conflicting information out there.  Is it AK-63, AK-63D, AKM-63 or AMM-63?
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
AK63 is simply the Hungarian AKM, known in Hungary as the AMM. AKM63 is the 16" barrel with naked gas tube, vented steel fore arm with pistol grip and wood stock. AMD65 used a shorter gas tube and piston with the fore arm and grip from the AKM63, a 12" barrel, the 'snake brake' and a folding wire stock. AK63F is wood stock. AK63D is folding steel stock. So the pre-ban SA85Ms imported by Kassnar consisted of specially-made semi-auto AK63F and AK63D with special finishes and blond wood. The post-ban Sporters were semi-auto AK63F with de-milled features, thumbhole stock and special bright finish.
The post-ban SA85M I bought in 1996 now is more or less in AK63F trim except I use an AMD65 'snake brake' on it because it works so well. Pictured here with my FEG PJK-9HP (hi-power).

SA85M = Semi-Auto, 1985 AMM
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#15]
correct.

amd65....yes

amd63 NO....
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Just received today an Arsenal USA AK it is marked on the right hand side with

Arsenal USA
Houston TX

AMD-63

REC.MOD. SK-100
Serial # HN-2XX

It is built on a SA85M FEG receiver marked made in Hungary on the left front of the receiver. The front left trunion has been scrubbed but all the other numbers match. The gas tube has a built in heat-shield spot welded to the top of it and definitely seems to be factory original ( I've never seen a gas tube with a metal heat shield like this, the gas tube is not numbered). The rifle has a black recoil buffer like other Arsenals. The barrel is threaded but the slant brake is some how pinned in place, it wobbles but wont come off (same as my Arsenal SSR 85B). The front grip is shiny black with the only mark being a 1/1 appears Hungarian??. The rear grip is flat black marked made in USA. The gas piston appears USA made but is not marked as such. The bayonet lug has been shaved. The rifle has a heavy park finish just like my 85B. The barrel is chrome lined. The rifle is 98 %

I'm real happy with this one...Any info on this appreciated
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just received today an Arsenal USA AK it is marked on the right hand side with

Arsenal USA
Houston TX

AMD-63

REC.MOD. SK-100
Serial # HN-2XX

It is built on a SA85M FEG receiver marked made in Hungary on the left front of the receiver. The front left trunion has been scrubbed but all the other numbers match. The gas tube has a built in heat-shield spot welded to the top of it and definitely seems to be factory original ( I've never seen a gas tube with a metal heat shield like this, the gas tube is not numbered). The rifle has a black recoil buffer like other Arsenals. The barrel is threaded but the slant brake is some how pinned in place, it wobbles but wont come off (same as my Arsenal SSR 85B). The front grip is shiny black with the only mark being a 1/1 appears Hungarian??. The rear grip is flat black marked made in USA. The gas piston appears USA made but is not marked as such. The bayonet lug has been shaved. The rifle has a heavy park finish just like my 85B. The barrel is chrome lined. The rifle is 98 %

I'm real happy with this one...Any info on this appreciated
View Quote

Wow, that's some collection of miscellaneous parts! But I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's functional. The gas tube with vented steel hand guard is a common aftermarket part. As now well-established, there is no such thing as an AMD63. Arsenal just basically put that on there out of ignorance. They used a front grip from an AMD65 - the vented steel fore arm was first used on the AKM63, then the AMD65, and is interchangeable between those two and most any other AKM. Because the gas block lugs and probably the sight base ones also were ground off, I think the rifle was made from the barreled receiver of a post-ban FEG SA85M, because that's how they came in. I don't know why they took the serial number off the trunnion - that's where the FEGs were numbered. The quick answer would be they used an un-numbered trunnion and put a serial number on the receiver. Do you have any numbers on the bolt, bolt carrier or action cover?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]
re serial numbers

Yes has the numbers and they all match on the carrier, bolt, top cover, recoil spring assembly and underside of site ladder. The receiver has an Arsenal number on it.
This rifle shoots great.

I have never seen a gas tube built with a sheet metal cover on the top of it . This 'cover is literally touching the tube across the top so I can't say for sure it would really act as a heat shield. If you have a link or photo I'd appreciate seeing it it

I have a Polish Arsenal USA that also has the trunion scrubbed but all other numbers match.

I think they did that avoid having 2 diff  Serial numbers on the receiver as they had to stamp their own serial number on the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
re serial numbers

Yes has the numbers and they all match on the carrier, bolt, top cover, recoil spring assembly and underside of site ladder. The receiver has an Arsenal number on it.
This rifle shoots great.

I have never seen a gas tube built with a sheet metal cover on the top of it . This 'cover is literally touching the tube across the top so I can't say for sure it would really act as a heat shield. If you have a link or photo I'd appreciate seeing it it

I have a Polish Arsenal USA that also has the trunion scrubbed but all other numbers match.

I think they did that avoid having 2 diff  Serial numbers on the receiver as they had to stamp their own serial number on the receiver.
View Quote

That's a Saiga gas tube. I thought you meant one with the vented steel hand guard. It's possible to adapt a Saiga gas tube with the welded-on sheet metal guard to a regular AK. An AKM63 kit should come with a true 'naked' gas tube. It's easy to take the hand guard clips off a regular gas tube and repaint it. That's what I did on my conversion. It was a Bulgarian gas tube with the vents. FEG AKs sometimes had a vented gas tube plus a vented gas block. Doesn't matter either way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#20]
$375 seven years ago this month.  And that included shipping.  The good old days...

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
$375 seven years ago this month.  And that included shipping.  The good old days...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2nisak5.jpg
View Quote

Oh, Now don't make me dig out my old Centerfire Systems invoices!  Back in 'those good old days' you could CHOOSE between the 63 and the 65 -- for the same money!   I went with mostly 65's!   The 63's looked cool with the Euro elm -- in an 'old school' way -- so I got a couple.  One has mint metal, and the other is almost there.   I can't remember exactly, but I don't think they were more than $150.  
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top