Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2015 7:56:08 AM EDT
I have a WASR (just bought used, maybe 2 years old) and after about 100rds (rapid fire, to where it starts smoking a bit and getting hot up front) you cant pull the bolt back. I have to use the edge of a hard surface to get the leverage needed to "unstick" it. Once I do that, it runs like a clock every magazine. I sent it back to Century, they adjusted the op rod, fired one mag, and said it was gtg. Thanks for nothing. I'm wondering if it's something with the locking/unlocking of the bolt. Once i break the bolt free, if i ease it back forward, i can then insert mag and charge her up. It goes into battery just fine, its the unlocking/pulling back the charging handle that's near impossible. Help...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Cartridge case sticking in hot, dirty chamber. Clean chamber and bore after every shooting session and use a penetrating oil in the barrel - dry-patch it before shooting and you should be good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It ejects the cases just fine.  It's after the last round of a mag, it extracts, ejects and the bolt closes on an empty chamber. When I try to pull the bolt back I cannot do it by hand. I have to use a counter top/bench to put pressure on the bolt handle, put my body weight on it, then it breaks free.  Again, it will shoot fine after this, it's operating the bolt by hand when hot it gets stuck...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for more responses, the issue as you describe it is very odd.  What happens if you let it sit until cool once it is stuck?  At any rate I'm thinking an overly tight tolerance somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Clean your chamber and inspect it with a bore scope.  It is probably your ammo.  Change brands. Run some pure brass ammo if you can find it, after cleaning that chamber.  

Once it it stuck, cooling usually does not help.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
After cooling, it's not technically stuck as I can pull it back at the limit of my strength.  Not pleasant at all.  The bolt is very smooth when cleaned. To me, whats the point of having a WASR if I can't melt the darn thing with crap ammo.  100 round limit just isnt acceptable for an AK, IMO.  My Arsenal eats anything like a wood-chipper with zero problems. I will try all brass next time. (Ammo was Wolf prior) Thanks for the replies....probably going to send it back again...or sell it and try a RAS47.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Update, after working the bolt about 5 times, I can pull it back fairly easy....I'm thinking the heat is causing some expansion somewhere....strange

Cleaned just the chamber...still sticky
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Strange problem indeed. My wild guess would be really tight headspace. When the bolt head heats up it sticks. First thing I would do is check HS -- if a go gauge won't chamber or it just chambers with pressure, HS may be your problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
According to the Century Arms work order, they polished the chamber and checked the head-space. Hmmmmm....

Just got off the phone with them and it's going back.  To Century's benefit, they have been very easy to deal with...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean your chamber and inspect it with a bore scope.  It is probably your ammo.  Change brands. Run some pure brass ammo if you can find it, after cleaning that chamber.  

Once it it stuck, cooling usually does not help.
View Quote

Ammo wouldn't make a difference - it's locking up with an empty chamber. As suggested, the clearances might be tighter than average, so heat expansion would bind up the lugs. That's a plausible theory.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I suspect the unlocking cam angle on the back of the bolt head is not cut completely.  I see it frequently and believe it if from a chipped cutting tool.  It can also be from uneven bearing on left and right lugs - without carrier, bolt tail should hang evenly with rifle vertical.  If it cants, there is more bearing on one side than the other.  There is a factory test for this, but it requires special tooling to apply pressure to the bolt face through the barrel.

It may be just subtle enough that the heat is enough to make it stick.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect the unlocking cam angle on the back of the bolt head is not cut completely.  I see it frequently and believe it if from a chipped cutting tool.  It can also be from uneven bearing on left and right lugs - without carrier, bolt tail should hang evenly with rifle vertical.  If it cants, there is more bearing on one side than the other.  There is a factory test for this, but it requires special tooling to apply pressure to the bolt face through the barrel.

It may be just subtle enough that the heat is enough to make it stick.
View Quote

Interesting point. Correction would seem to involve changes to headspace. Perhaps with lubrication and continued firing it will settle in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got the gun back from Century.  So irritated, the gunsmith noted, 'clean gas block & piston / note gas block must be clean" Really?!  Thanks for the valuable AK tip, ugh. I also told them, several times, that the malfunction occurred after 3-4 mags shot relatively fast. So using their logic, they test fired with 30rds.  They just aren't listening to the customer.   I'll try to reserve judgement till I shoot it tonight.  I'll let you know tomorrow my range results.  Not having high expectations... Luckily this isn't my only AK (it is my only Century though, lol), or gun for that matter, I'll send this bitch back 100 times if I have to.  Now it's just fun folly. Thanks for enduring my rant.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can get a hold of a go HS gauge, see if it comes up shy of chambering. Its probably a good idea to have HS gauges - go, nogo, and even a field, for any rifles you get from Century.

If working with a rifles heads pace is uncomfortable for you, take it or send it to a good smith. Gunplumber above seems to know what he's doing. I don't quite trust Century 100%.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting impressed by how many times Century will even look at it, given that the OP says it was used/secondhand and 2 years old.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Problem solved, was at range and got through 1 mag when the man in the lane next to me asked if he could shoot it.  So I let him, he offers me $600 on the spot.  I told him the issues I had and that if he looked he could probably get one cheaper.  He didn't care, so SOLD.  Turned around and bought a beautiful 1903a3 Smith Corona....very happy.  I'll stick with my Arsenal's...

Thanks for enduring
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top