Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 11:59:08 AM EDT
I've had this Norinco 84S for around 15 years now, but I don't shoot it much.  It seems to have issues about every other time I shoot it.  

Last time out I ended up with a broken case, leaving the front half lodged in the chamber.  That was some steel-cased Wolf 55 gr. ammo.  This time it just tore the rim off the steel-cased Tula ammo I was shooting.  

I had bought a case of Tula 5.56 (or maybe it's .223 Rem.  I'll have to look.  But the rifle is marked 5.56, so it shouldn't matter) a few years ago.  The Wolf ammo had always run fine in my other rifles, but the Tula seems too weak and I get a lot of malfunctions in various AR15s.  I had thought to shoot up the rest of it in the 84S, but it doesn't seem to like that rifle either.

I may have to switch to brass-cased ammo for the Norinco, and see if that has the same issue.  There are no obvious gouges or scratches in the chamber.  Is it possible I just have a rough chamber?  Is there a way to polish the chamber without potentially screwing it up?  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple years back I ran into several lots of Tula/Herters that was total junk. Many cases  had light surface rust out of the box with no visible polymer coating. Case neck length was so inconsistent that you could see some of the OOS cases by just emptying out a 20rd box and standing the cartridges all on end.

That ammo would frequently stick in the chamber of my Saiga,  extractor would rip the rim off the case,  and it would have to be knocked out with cleaning rod.

The Tula was actually from Ulyanovsk,  whixh has also been sold under Wolf in the past. I avoid ulyanovsk 223 for this reason.  I would check the headstamps on your Wolf to see where it's from..

I have has ZERO issues with any Barnaul manufactured 223 in the Saiga or ARs.  100% reliable.

So in the end I would suspect the ammo before the rifle, but it may be worth a bore light inspection.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Given that it's happened with different brands of ammo, and that it is a persistent problem, I'd give a lot of thought and attention to the chamber. Someone else had this problem creep up recently. Definitely shoot a fair amount of brass to rule case-material out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you ever clean the bore and chamber with bore cleaner? Do you use a chamber brush in the chamber? You really need to inspect the bore and chamber. I don't know of any corrosive 5.56 or .223, but definitely see if you can restore the bright appearance of the chamber and bore and that there is no pitting. After cleaning, oil the chamber/bore with a surface-improving oil, like Seafoam 'Deep Creep', then dry-patch it to remove any remaining liquid. Consequently, use the 'Deep Creep' as your bore cleaner/lube/preservative after each shooting session, always dry-patching it when finished. This is something you should do on any gun anyway, and it might just solve your problem.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top