Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 12:06:41 PM EDT
I have a new rifle.  Built by a quality shop (its a Polish kit, all matching, etc..).  Everything is great but then I noticed I can move the lower hand guard retainer back and forth or if you will, towards and away from the receiver. There isn't any rotating movement just up and down the barrel. On all my other rifles I have to beat the front retainer out of position with a little hammer once the locking level is up.  It can be moved maybe a good 1/8".  So I put the hand guard "into" the receiver, slide the retainer down tight up against it and push down the locking lever but then either by just pushing on the hand guard or grabbing the retainer itself I can move it toward the muzzle easily the 1/8".  It doesn't move so much that the hand guard "falls out".  I use the sling loop of course so it will be going back and forth.  I can't see anything out of the ordinary when inspecting it.  

Any thought?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to shim loose wood HGs with a little bit of cardboard. I'm sure that would tighten things up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you are serious ….

The problem isn't the hand guard its the retainer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the slot on the bbl where the HG locks oversized? If you cut the cardboard to fit in your retainer it'll force the retainer FWD when you install the HG. If the retainer is to far FWD and past the upper HG retainer, you can weld and recut the slot. I used JB Weld on a Maddi that had the retainer too far FWD. Filled in the slot on the bbl and recut it. It still holding after 8 plus years. JB is good to ~600* so as long as you don't do too many mag dumps in a row...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it back to whoever built it. The lower hand guard should be securely locked by the retainer.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top