Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 8:57:19 AM EDT
I have a New Arsenal SAM7R rifle -Two different brand of AK magazines will not snap in the magazine well    ( Magpul and US Palm ) they work in my SAM7SF .
I did call Arsenal on this subject , they said there rifles are basiclly may to only except Circle 10 magazines.  Now what do I do ? ?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it not seating properly in the mag catch/release? If so, you may need to shave off some of the material on the lip on the back of the mag.
Use a Dremel or file to take very little off and test to see if it fits as you go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it not seating properly in the mag catch/release?   Yes that's the problem- - thank you

Sad that someone spends 1,300 to 1,600 hundred on a rifle and they only take one brand of magazine, this defeats the reason I bought a AK rifle < <<<<    :(
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is the mag release catch/lever that isn't locking, you may want to shorten it to match your SAM7SF. Or stick to  surplus metal mags and Circle 10's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advise- - I measured my magazine release on my Sam 7sf and then on the Sam 7R - - -there was a very big diffence. I did the modification as you suggested and I am now a Happy camper  ?   Thank you
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I had this same issue with an M+M rifle. The gap between the stop plate and latch was WAY too narrow. I shaved a bit off the latch and now it works with all my mags.  I know this is not the correct fix for this issue (the issue is usually spacing front/aft of trigger guard/latch and thickness of stop plate), but was FAR easier/cheaper than de milling the TG/stop plate assembly and realigning.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had this same issue with an M+M rifle. The gap between the stop plate and latch was WAY too narrow. I shaved a bit off the latch and now it works with all my mags.  I know this is not the correct fix for this issue (the issue is usually spacing front/aft of trigger guard/latch and thickness of stop plate), but was FAR easier/cheaper than de milling the TG/stop plate assembly and realigning.
View Quote

The stop plate is the cause of 90% of mag fit issues on stamped receivers.  The Sam-7 is a milled receiver and uses a rivet as a selector stop.  There is no selector stop plate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it not seating properly in the mag catch/release?   Yes that's the problem- - thank you

Sad that someone spends 1,300 to 1,600 hundred on a rifle and they only take one brand of magazine, this defeats the reason I bought a AK rifle < <<<<    :(
View Quote

Don't blame the rifle for crap mags.  If military spec. mags. from the rifles country of origin work.....then the US mags are not to spec.  Modify the mags not the gun.  I knew a guy who ground his mag release to fit the crappy Tapco mags.  Afterward he had a TON of slop and wobble when using military surplus mags.  Bad part is, the military mags worked perfect beforehand.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't blame the rifle for crap mags.  If military spec. mags. from the rifles country of origin work.....then the US mags are not to spec.  Modify the mags not the gun.  I knew a guy who ground his mag release to fit the crappy Tapco mags.  Afterward he had a TON of slop and wobble when using military surplus mags.  Bad part is, the military mags worked perfect beforehand.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That. When AK mags won't lock in, you remove the bolt carrier so you can see what's happening. Many times polymer mags have to be trimmed, like on the top rear of the feed lips. But I don't have any experience with a milled receiver so I can't tell you what surface the mags are hanging up on - you have to see for yourself. Modify mags, not the gun. It could be the width at the top, it could be the thickness of the stop lug. You may have to file/sand either or both. When modifying the mag stop lug (rear lug on mag), only work on the underside (the sloped side that the mag catch grabs) because if you file on the top surface, you are raising the feed lips which may then be struck by the bolt. If the mag is dragging on the sides of the top, a polymer mag will usually show gouges/scratches where its rubbing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If one mag doesn't fit, I'll modify it to get it to work.

If all the mags don't fit, it's the rifle. Fix that instead of making all your mags only usable with the one rifle.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for all the advise
- I'm not going to dick around with it . I'm going to take it to my local firearms store and have then sell it for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for all the advise
- I'm not going to dick around with it . I'm going to take it to my local firearms store and have then sell it for me.
View Quote

I thought you fixed it, What happened ?
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top