Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 3:33:04 PM EDT
I have a new M85 that I took to the range the other day and every few mags I would get double and triple fires. I used mostly steel euro mags with one tapco. There was no connection to the mags, it was totally random. I was shooting american made, factory loaded, brass cased ammo. It also didn't matter if i shot fast or slow, just every now and then it would rip off a 3 round burst. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance for any help
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a classic sign of trigger problems.  Specifically it's likely to be the disconnecter that's failing to properly catch and hold the hammer.

First, check the action of the trigger assembly with the bolt and carrier out.
Don't allow the hammer to fall all the way, catch it with a finger to prevent damaging the receiver.
Cock the hammer and pull the trigger, then holding the trigger back, pull the hammer back to full cock.
The hammer should be held by the disconnecter.
Then gently ease off on the trigger and the hammer should drop forward slightly and be caught by the trigger hook.

If things are off, when you ease up on the trigger, the falling hammer will by-pass the trigger and not be caught and held.
If things are really off, when the hammer is pulled to the rear with the trigger held back it will not be caught by the disconnecter.

Make SURE what's wrong before altering anything.  Just altering parts without KNOWING what the problem is and hoping to hit on a fix usually results in ruined parts.

The "usual" repair (see the sentence just above) is to file the bottom of the disconnecter to allow it to tilt farther forward and increase the engagement with the hammer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking it may be the trigger.  Maybe I will just replace it. Will a trigger group from a 7.62 gun fit in it, like a tapco G2, etc..?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Could also be just an accidental bump fire.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Check that your trigger pins aren't walking out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:02:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I had this issue with a Tapco G2 disconnector that was (obviously) improperly heat treated and "mushroomed" (as well as creating a "beak" like shape) and would no longer hold the trigger properly. After numerous emails to Tapco, and them refusing fault, it was sent back to them. They then claimed I filed on the disconnector to create that shape. I had not (it was a new rifle, new parts, new G2, and no file had EVER touched it. It was OBVIOUSLY a steel issue). After much (pissed off) emailing back and forth, they finally sent a new one out. That one still works to this day (as do my other G2's), but I'll NEVER buy a G2 again after their refusal to admit fault. I can NOT stand a company that has such poor CS and blames it's customers for it's own faults. Never again.
Back on topic... check your disconnector. Make sure it's a curved top, 7, shape... and not a "beak" shape (pointing downward. This is a sign of metal deformation/poor tempering).
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
While the info above on the disconnector engagement is good, there is also an issue with TAPCO G2s (and perhaps others) where the hammer isn't pushed downward far enough to engage the disconnector.  This can be the rail height relative to the hammer and trigger axis holes (NDS-3, Eubanks, etc), the height of the hammer shelf, the height of the hammer face, or the height of the disconnector claw.

The easiest fix is to reduce the hammer shelf height by .020".  This also narrows the lobes of the hammer, so you also have to increase disconnector engagement as described abov.  Optimal is for the gap from the disconnector beak to the trigger claw being 80% of the width of the hammer lobe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the info above on the disconnector engagement is good, there is also an issue with TAPCO G2s (and perhaps others) where the hammer isn't pushed downward far enough to engage the disconnector.  This can be the rail height relative to the hammer and trigger axis holes (NDS-3, Eubanks, etc), the height of the hammer shelf, the height of the hammer face, or the height of the disconnector claw.

The easiest fix is to reduce the hammer shelf height by .020".  This also narrows the lobes of the hammer, so you also have to increase disconnector engagement as described abov.  Optimal is for the gap from the disconnector beak to the trigger claw being 80% of the width of the hammer lobe.
View Quote

Excellent info!
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top