Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2014 1:42:25 AM EDT
So, was shooting a comparison video today for an Arsenal and Century arms AK. Something happened to the Century. On the third shot there was a small explosion back into the receiver of the gun, which shot the firing pin out of the housing and into the gun and bent it like a J.

I caught it all on video here:
Video Here

I'm not sure what the happened. Was it a bad primer, or was it the firing pin driving too hard into the primer? Have you guys seen something like this?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:05:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a pierced primer.  Could be a number of things like a weak or high-seated primer, or excessive firing pin protrusion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The primer was definitely pierced. It was the only primer that was out of the batch of 3 I got off, but I'm just shocked it produced enough force to blow the firing pin past the retainer pin.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The primer was definitely pierced. It was the only primer that was out of the batch of 3 I got off, but I'm just shocked it produced enough force to blow the firing pin past the retainer pin.
View Quote

First thing to check is firing pin protrusion - general max is .060".  An out-of-spec firing pin is the most likely cause of a pierced primer.

Peak chamber pressure is in the neighborhood of 50k PSI, and all that pressure venting through a pierced primer onto the firing pin turns it into lil' mini-piston, easily breaking most any firing pin retaining pin if it gets a good seal to make a good, hard push against it.  Thankfully it wasn't a bigger breach that could have blown up the bolt or the entire gun.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top