Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2014 7:07:05 PM EDT
So I made the decision to take a gamble and buy a WASR-10 as my first AK. Was happy to see the sights were straight and not canted and finish was decent etc. Well, I went to sight it in and it was grouping left, so I press the front sight over to the left, but it still shot to the left. Long  story short I maxed out the windage adjustment on the front sight and it's still shooting approx. 3" left @ 25 yards. Needless to say that was pretty disappointing. Since the sights are straight, what else could it be? I  sighted down the entire rifle and it sort of looks like the barrel is cocked off to the left a smidge. I used a straight edge on the sides of the receiver and there was a big difference in gap at the muzzle and according to my math the muzzle is about 3/8"  left of center of the receiver. So I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got a crooked barrel. Is there anything I can do to repair it? It is a new rifle just purchased last week from centerfire systems in KY. I emailed Century friday, assuming they will repair or replace the rifle? Anyone have experience with their CS?  I wasn't expecting a high end rifle for the price; I just expected something reliable that shoots where I point it. It's reliable and grouped well.....................just not where I pointed it.

I am a complete noob to AKs (other than what i've read online) but not to guns or tinkering in general
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If hitting left move front sight right.

ETA:nope, I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
also noticed if I rack the bolt back and let it ride forward slow the actions hangs open with the bolt about even with the ejection port (no it does not have a hold open mag in it)
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
also noticed if I rack the bolt back and let it ride forward slow the actions hangs open with the bolt about even with the ejection port (no it does not have a hold open mag in it)
View Quote

For the sight in problem you could check the rear sight to be sure it is sitting in the rear sight block properly.
It should sit flat & come straight back with equal gaps on both sides. When you raise the rear sight up it should be straight up not leaning to one side or the other.

You should never ride the bolt forward when charging the weapon. The bolt hanging a little in the FCG is normal, it will ease a little after a few hundred rounds & even more as you shoot. I have a few thousands of rounds through mine & I can't get my WASR to hold open even if I ride it.
( be sure to lube the bottom of the bolt & face of the hammer)
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The rear sight appears fairly straight in all positions maybe tilted to the left just a TINY bit; surely not enough to result in maxing out the windage adjustment of the front? I wasn't riding the bolt while chambering a round, there wasn't even a mag in it I was just working the action back and forth slowly to see if I could feel anything binding. Which apparently nothing is binding.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you can get your problem solved because my WASR is very fun to shoot, I would hate for you to miss out on the fun from your AK.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
contacted century, prolly gonna send it back and let them deal with it
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
contacted century, prolly gonna send it back and let them deal with it
View Quote

Probably your best bet. On the other hand if you have a workbench and some tools, remove brake, drive out the front sight pins, watch out for plunger and spring, and tap FSB over to the side you need to. then screw down your muzzle attachment test fire and set your front sight. Then drill and repin. Alternatively you could get a windage adj rear.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
thought about the windage rear but if the barrel is crooked windage will vary  at different ranges even if you finally get it sighted in at a particular range, I'd rather just have a barrel that is straight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a quick update, sent it back to Century, they said they repaired the canted sight which was the issue (it was not canted). Got it back, now the sight is canted BAD, still shoots 3" left of POA. Sent it back again and am waiting 3-4 weeks for a replacement Hope they send a good one this time
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
For what it's worth I got a new wasr-10 replacement from century today, everything is straight as an arrow and it's a great shooter. Their QC may suck but their customer service is pretty good and they stand behind what they sell thankfully.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on your new WASR10.
I hope you enjoy your new playtoy, I like mine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'm 400 rounds poorer than I was yesterday, time to order more ammo
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I'm 400 rounds poorer than I was yesterday, time to order more ammo
View Quote

You may be 400 rounds poorer than when you started, but having a big smile all the time your shooting is PRICELESS!
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top