Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:29:33 AM EDT
Has anyone else experienced pain in your triger finger from shooting your AK?  It's like the trigger slaps your finger as it fires.  I'd not paid much attention to it before, but it was cold yesterday, and after about a 30 rds. I couldn't take it anymore.  Started shooting the AR and had not problems.  If you've had this happen were you able to resovle it or it something one has to live with for shooting an AK?
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Has anyone else experienced pain in your triger finger from shooting your AK?  It's like the trigger slaps your finger as it fires.  I'd not paid much attention to it before, but it was cold yesterday, and after about a 30 rds. I couldn't take it anymore.  Started shooting the AR and had not problems.  If you've had this happen were you able to resovle it or it something one has to live with for shooting an AK?

You could fix it yourself, or get a different FCG.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats why its called "trigger slap".

Get a new FCG.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty easy to fix.

You do not need to get new FCG.  Look at the disconnetor.  If there is a small tab (which is used for auto) sticking out in the back, grind it.
If not, you will need FCG.  Tapco FCG work great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The best fix is to replace the unit with a Tapco G2 unit.

However, you can fix the existing unit easily.
Here's a site that shows how to disassemble the trigger unit and modify the disconnecter to prevent  trigger slap.

See the menu on the lower left side for "Trigger Slap Fix".

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/whyromanian.shtml
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The best fix is to replace the unit with a Tapco G2 unit.

However, you can fix the existing unit easily.
Here's a site that shows how to disassemble the trigger unit and modify the disconnecter to prevent  trigger slap.

See the menu on the lower left side for "Trigger Slap Fix".

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/whyromanian.shtml

Yes. My Yugo had trigger slap so bad that it bruised my finger, leaving it swollen and puirple after shooting.  I read up and considered the G2 trgger assembly, but found it to be way more satisfying to grind and polish the existing trigger group. It's not difficult and you'll have a better understanding of your firearm, as well as the pride of doing it yourself. After grinding off that little bastard nub that hurt me and working the engagement surfaces to a mirror finish, I'm convinced that I was left with the most awesome smooth trigger that was ever had on an AK.

If I had it to do over I WOULD get the plate to replace the dreaded 'sheperds hook' because that was the largest pain in the ass of the whole thing. A good resource for the goods and info is redstararms dot com.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Normally with the original safety you shouldn't have the tail on the disconnector... Humm thats weird. but yes the only way to stop the slap is to grind or dremel off the tail..
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you guys for your responses.   Upon inspection,  the disconnector does have the tab that was mentioned.   As it happened,  there was a gun show here this past weekend.   I met and talked to Dimitri about the problem and he had the Tapco trigger and sold it for $40.   Got it installed but won't get to shoot again until next weekend but will keep you all posted.   Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
a disconnector with full tang = no trigger slap (oversize rear trigger guard rivet as a stop).  A disconnector with no tang = no trigger slap (TAPCO G2).  A disconnector with a little tang = trigger slap.  A lot of imported guns have this - just enough tang cut off to disable the full-auto position..  

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Trigger slap is easily fixed.  Don't discard your old trigger group in case you have a soft FCG.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Check HERE for more great info on doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't own a Full Auto but since I haven't really shot one a lot do those also slap they shit out of your finger....I would assume so since it still has the tail..... Anyone know the answer
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]
No they don't - because they have a long disconnector tail, which extends into the receiver and the bottom receiver wall "stops" it from hitting the back of the trigger.
In fact, my full auto RPK-74 is about as boring as running a sewing machine.  At least compared to the little more "dynamic" AKS-74u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94EfgH2JKts&list=UUga3rJJR-1yyl9C5AvRTy4w&index=8&feature=plcp
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you only full auto I have shot is the M-16 Since Daughters in the Guard I have had the pleasure to do full auto and 3 round bursts on those.... I havent had a full auto AK yet....
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not remove the tail.

I did that mod to both my SAR's and though it did eliminate most of the t-slap, it was not 100% a fix, with finger ache returning when shooting in deep cold.

I'd replace the trigger group with a K-Var.

Recently I replaced the original FCG w/ a K-Var double pull WITH the tail, then removed the trigger guard rivet, replaced that with a #8 machine screw and adjusted the height of the screw inside the receiver to support the tail of the disconnector.  This required one washer under the nut.  The disconnector tail then just barely cleared the nut, providing support during carrier reciprocation.

Result;  100% NO trigger slap on my rifle.  Even in deep cold.  None.

This is evidently the current fix on the AK-100 series rifles which is accomplished in production with the use of a thicker-headed rivet.

I am now replacing the FCG on my second SAR and will use either a #8 machine screw or rivet made from a 16d nail.

Again, the change is well worth the added work and cost of the FCG.

Also, yes, by all means get a pin retaining plate.  The shepherd's hook is a purgatorious nightmare.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top