Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2003 6:38:04 AM EDT
I know, what a dummy.  I somehow got a wolf .223 round mixed in with my 7.62 and accidently fired it at the range.  I loaded it into my drum and after about 50 rounds I hear a fizzle sound.  I thought is was a blown primer.  Case lodged in the chamber.  I poked it out w/ the cleaning rod and the case had several ruptures in the casing.  After careful inspection I put 30 rounds of 7.62x39 through it and it ran fine.  Should I take this to a gunsmith to ensure it's ok?  Has anyone ever done this?
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
How in the hell do you get a 223 round mixed up with a 7.62 round?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#2]
dont smoke crack when you load your magazines!!

Link Posted: 2/22/2003 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
How the hell did you get the bolt to lock?

A 5.56 casing is way to long to chamber in a 7.62x39.  It is also too large diameter at the shoulder to obtrude into the leade of the bore.

You might have gotten a 5.45x39 to chamber but not a 5.56.  I used to deliberately try to do this to show how the VC could not use M-16 ammo as some people argue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey folks, I originally read this post, laughed & went on since I thought that here was another internet "poser" proclaiming some unbelievable situation.
Anyway, guess what.. I tried to chamber a .223 in my Polytech 7.62 & ...... It locked & was ready to fire. Upon extraction I found that the case now had a second shoulder. Using spent brass I found upon pulling the trigger the firing pin struck the primer dead center. Never believed it would be possible. I would think that ussflinster is a very lucky man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
YES  5.56X45 can be mixed up with 7.62X39 Be Careful......Very, very careful

Link Posted: 2/22/2003 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
ussflintster,

I here by award you with the "You Stumped TJ Award".  I thought I had done about everything till I read this.  Thanks for sharing, I got one major hoot out of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw my father in law do the exact same thing.  He complained about a malfunction.  When I cleared the weapon and extracted the case, it was just fire formed at the shoulder to 7.62.  No split, nothing wrong with the rifle and he kept on shooting, only  more carefully.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If the gun is running fine, I doubt there's anything wrong with it.  You could take it to a gunsmith to be sure, but I doubt you broke anything.  

Think of it this way:  While the .223 is a high pressure round, and will cause KBs in .223 rifles, you had plenty of escape routes for the pressure to take in a 7.62x39.  There would have been MASSIVE gas pressure loss blowing by the bullet, which is not going to fill up the 7.62mm bore.  It's possible the .223 case messed with your rifling or something, but it's not going to effect anything you'll notice in the real world.

Having it checked out by a smith is always a good idea.  But I doubt you hurt it at all.

Ross
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
You should be fine. As stated above, the gas pressure escaped around the bullet. Take a look at the bolt face, look for any cracks, chips ect.

There was a guy at the range on day cussing his SAR2. It was jamming, not extracting and not hitting anywhere near his point of aim. When we tried to help, found he was shooting .223 through it. No harm to the weapon at all.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
my friend ken has a berretta 92. and also has a 96, and somehow he mixed up his loaded mags, when he was not paying much attention he loaded the 9mm mag into the 40 cal gun, chambered it, i have no idea how, and fired, the round went off, sounded like a weak round, he freaked when he saw what had happened, the bullet went maybee 40 feet from the muzzle, he has since sold the 9, and the mags
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top