User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
The only thing that bothers me with mine is the top handguard is loose with some play (maybe a mm or two) fore and aft. Is it supposed to be like this?

I guess you wouldn't want it too tight and put a lot of pressure on the gas block and barrel either.

I got the redwood and like the finish on the wood though.

View Quote

@dmk0210

I didn’t see it answered, but the top handguard should be “loose”. It’s the same way on my 104UR as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#2]
Picking nits on the handguards.

I wish they would have just omitted the indentation/chamfer/whatever it’s called on the top handguard. It’s so subtle as to almost not exist on factory handguards.

ETA: For reference.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fike:

I wish they would have just omitted the indentation/chamfer/whatever it’s called on the top handguard. It’s so subtle as to almost not exist on factory handguards.

https://i.imgur.com/8vfeIdI.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/zMH11Mb.jpeg

View Quote

I noticed when I was looking on gun broker for krink furniture that some were more defined than others. PSAs is certainly more than others.
I’m tempted to order real krink wood just for the extra originality lol. I’d like to know it will fit properly before dropping the money though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ak4784:

I noticed when I was looking on gun broker for krink furniture that some were more defined than others. PSAs is certainly more than others.
I’m tempted to order real krink wood just for the extra originality lol. I’d like to know it will fit properly before dropping the money though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/8vfeIdI.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/zMH11Mb.jpeg

It’s honestly the first thing that stood out to me as “wrong” when I saw them and I’m far from an expert or stickler on minutiae.

If it were my project, I’d make the top HG without any indentation (cheaper) and use the standard black plastic grip that everyone has been using for the past 20 years (also cheaper). The profile and colors on their grips are pretty bad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
So now on the PSA site it has apparently updated and now says Shipped! However I have not received any kind of email notification for either an order confirmation or shipping notification.
I don’t remember if I got an order confirmation with my spiker but I do remember getting a shipping notification and tracking number.
Guess we will see if any emails show up tomorrow.
View Quote

Log into your PSA account and view your order, click on "order shipments" and you will see your tracking number. Most times once they say shipped it will go out that evening or the next business day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
If it were my project, I’d make the top HG without any indentation (cheaper) and use the standard black plastic grip that everyone has been using for the past 20 years (also cheaper). The profile and colors on their grips are pretty bad.
View Quote

Agree 100%.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:08:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#7]
I am sure by now everyone has seen the circle 10 Krink parts kit with russian furniture in the EE.  

It's a hell of a bargain @ 5k.  All you need to do is get a receiver and put it all together. Best part is the seller has 2 posts...

Surprised someone hasn't snagged it by now.

I almost FO'd but the HGs don't match perfectly...

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
I am sure by now everyone has seen the circle 10 Krink parts kit with russian furniture in the EE.  

It's a hell of a bargain @ 5k.  All you need to do is get a receiver and put it all together. Best part is the seller has 2 posts...

Surprised someone hasn't snagged it by now.

I almost FO'd but the HGs don't match perfectly...

View Quote

Now grind those fuckers you got, to appease my OCD.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

Agree 100%.
View Quote

Thirded. This mis-matched stuff is driving me crazy, i'm gonna stop looking now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of the handguard aesthetic may be a deliberate design choice on PSA’s part.  They’ve been very direct about marking their retro parts to keep unscrupulous entrepreneurs from reselling clones as the originals.

They may be trying to avoid any sort of confusion with real Russian or Bulgarian AKSU handguards by having a clearly distinguishable feature like the slightly oversized groove.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]

I didn't see it answered, but the top handguard should be "loose". It's the same way on my 104UR as well.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:26:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#13]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
Some of the handguard aesthetic may be a deliberate design choice on PSA's part.  They've been very direct about marking their retro parts to keep unscrupulous entrepreneurs from reselling clones as the originals.

They may be trying to avoid any sort of confusion with real Russian or Bulgarian AKSU handguards by having a clearly distinguishable feature like the slightly oversized groove.
View Quote
I don't think anyone with half a brain will mix up PSA parts for real deal.  

PSA's retro stuff is kind of like Brownell's retro stuff. Close enough to scratch that itch for a lot less money than an original, but still not spot on.  I applaud both companies for doing them though!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Got my Form1 back already in 8 days  I put a Romanian grip on it and a Russian sling. The mag is a brown commercial Bulgarian from GunMagWarehouse. I might strip and refinish the handguards at some point.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:37:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#15]
On the subject of handguards, below is an option that I forgot about from “back in the day” if you want polymer.

https://www.k-var.com/black-ribbed-lower-and-upper-hand-guards-for-krinkov-made-in-bulgaria
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my Form1 back already in 8 days  I put a Romanian grip on it and a Russian sling. The mag is a brown commercial Bulgarian from GunMagWarehouse. I might strip and refinish the handguards at some point.

https://i.imgur.com/fAzuKw0.jpeg
View Quote

That looks fantastic.  I need to do the Form 1 I guess.  Still waiting on two suppressors.
I am just not up to speed on the process of the form 1.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Badass!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#19]

That looks fantastic.  I need to do the Form 1 I guess.  Still waiting on two suppressors.
I am just not up to speed on the process of the form 1.
View Quote
Thanks guys!

The F1 is easy with eForms.  The folks over the the General NFA Questions section can help out if you need it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/General-NFA-Questions/17/

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Jesus Christ I am going to revert mine to that - no matter what one does, that classic look is the shit (my Bulgarian SLR currently)

krink by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#21]
You can chalk me up as a Pod Arms 5.56 conversion follower happy customer.  I had seen mixed reviews, but decided to try one myself. Ordered 2 followers but only had one donor magazine.

Started with it loaded with 40 rounds, mag dump no problem.  

Reloaded with 43 rounds and again no problem with mag dump.  

I ended up with 2 or 3 fully loaded 45 round mag dumps.

I am happy enough that I will most likely get another donor mag and convert a second magazine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MustyWaffles] [#22]
You can chalk me up as a Pod Arms 5.56 conversion follower happy customer.  I had seen mixed reviews, but decided to try one myself. Ordered 2 followers but only had one donor magazine.

Started with it loaded with 40 rounds, mag dump no problem.  

Reloaded with 43 rounds and again no problem with mag dump.  

I ended up with 2 or 3 fully loaded 45 round mag dumps.
Need a pic of it in the gun.
I am happy enough that I will most likely get another donor mag and convert a second magazine.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443/IMG_4532__1__jpg-3174278.JPG
View Quote

Need a pic of it in the gun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone shoot suppressed yet, does the psa krink need a kns piston if using a 30cal can?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By THATS-A-BINGO:
Anyone shoot suppressed yet, does the psa krink need a kns piston if using a 30cal can?
View Quote

The Klayco47 youtube guy just did a video of the PSA Krink and has a lot of suppressed shooting going on. Good video. That dudes AK quick reloads are fast AF!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]

The Klayco47 youtube guy just did a video of the PSA Krink and has a lot of suppressed shooting going on. Good video. That dudes AK quick reloads are fast AF!
View All Quotes

Yeah I like his videos, he didn’t say if it had a kns piston or not. But I guess being a right out of the box review it wouldn’t have one. Only ask because I may end up getting a psa krink as part of a trade and have a wolverine just sitting in its box.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Klayco47, has good info concerning AK's. I've been following him on Youtube for a while now, good stuff there. On several of his other videos he uses KNS pistons and gives very good advice on actually telling if you need one or not in your AK.
I was on the fence with buying a PSA Krink, and had it in my cart several times and removed it. My concern is the short 8" barrel and the distance I usually shoot, 100-300 is my range limits. In the end I decided on a WBP Mini Jack in 5.56 with a 10" barrel and that thing is very gassy and needs a KNS for sure in it's factory form without any kind of muzzle device.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Yeah I like his videos, he didn't say if it had a kns piston or not. But I guess being a right out of the box review it wouldn't have one. Only ask because I may end up getting a psa krink as part of a trade and have a wolverine just sitting in its box.
View Quote
It was straight out of the box with no mods.  He didn't have a KNS piston.

It was interesting in that it seem to run better suppressed. It may in fact be undergassed from the factory. Certainly the short dwell time (practically nonexistent) isn't helping.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Aero Precision Lahar 30K suppressor AND a PSA Krink waiting at my FFL for me right now. Once I get back home I will put em together and see what happens lol.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Been keeping an eye on these. I have an unfired 104UR and a few tins of 5.45 but I think I’d rather buy a PSA Krink in 5.56 as a blaster and keep this nice. Looking forward to some higher round count reviews.

Attachment Attached File

I got distracted by cheap VZ61 kits but I do need to add a few more AK’s to the safe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#30]
What threads are on the muzzle of the PSA Krink? 1/2x28?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#31]
24x1.5
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an 86 Tula, a factory 104UR sbr, and another 104UR with a bunch of work done to it.

I have no need for one.

But I totally want one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Cobalt-60:
I have no need for one.
But I totally want one.
View Quote

I certainly didn't NEED one...
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By nictra:
24x1.5
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Krinky
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ak4784] [#36]
Finally got back to Kansas City and went to my FFL and picked her up! Redwood

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:40:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ak4784] [#37]
My initial impressions are that this thing is very good! The trigger is crazy light. The break is a bit unsuspecting. Not bad but not what I expected from an AKish thing.

The only real gripe I have is the top hand guard is loose. Someone else mentioned that a page or two back. Not sure if it’s supposed to be that way but I haven’t had time to dig into it yet. So maybe it can be firmed up?

I did order a suppressor hub for my can in the correct thread pattern from Jmac. Hoping it will be here this week and I’ll take it out next weekend and see how it shoots/sounds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]
lots of people back in the day of kit builds were having issues with the uppers being loose. I got lucky and mine in nice and tight.

A simple solution is to use some aluminum foil or cut up a beer (or soda) can and make yourself some shims.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#39]
lots of people back in the day of kit builds were having issues with the uppers being loose. I got lucky and mine in nice and tight.

A simple solution is to use some aluminum foil or cut up a beer (or soda) can and make yourself some shims.
View Quote

That’s a really good idea. Gracias amigo!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

You can use the below by cutting the bottom radius off (there are vids on YouTube).

https://www.k-var.com/ak-081ts-tension-spring-for-gas-tubes
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I didn't know if those would fit, or be too loose. Thanks for confirming they'll work
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't know if those would fit, or be too loose. Thanks for confirming they'll work
View Quote

From what I have seen you have to cut to size and bend them a bit more, but they are a really good starting point.

With that said and what you mentioned, they are loose from the factory so I have never bothered.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
My advice would be to start your search on K-Var’s page.
View Quote

I actually rolled the dice with a 45rnd 5.45 bakelite mag and a Pod Arms follower and had great success.  Thanks for the advice though, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#45]

I actually rolled the dice with a 45rnd 5.45 bakelite mag and a Pod Arms follower and had great success.  Thanks for the advice though, I'll check it out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
My advice would be to start your search on K-Var’s page.

I’d be on the hunt for some 20 round bulgy waffles. It’s a rare thing to have factory 20 round AK mags. Might as well take advantage of the option.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Snagged a redwood krink  from PSA yesterday.

I'm guessing a Bulgarian 4.5 pin hole triangle stock will drop right in without any hassle?

Looking for a thicker grip before I pick it up next week.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

I'm guessing a Bulgarian 4.5 pin hole triangle stock will drop right in without any hassle?

View Quote
IME, their hinge pin holes are 4.5mm, but a bit tight.  I had to do some fitting to get an aftermarket stock on my 104.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
IME, their hinge pin holes are 4.5mm, but a bit tight.  I had to do some fitting to get an aftermarket stock on my 104.
View All Quotes

Good to know.
Did you do the fitting to the pin(sanding) or the stock? Figuring sand little test fit the pin until it's snug?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#49]

Good to know.
Did you do the fitting to the pin(sanding) or the stock? Figuring sand little test fit the pin until it's snug?
View Quote
I like to subscribe to the "modify the easier to replace part" philosophy, so I slowly opened up the hole in the stock adaptor (a SAG M4 stock adaptor) with sandpaper wrapped around a small dowel chucked in a dremmel.

The pin itself fits perfect in the rear trunnion, so you don't want to thin that out or else it'll become loose on the gun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I like to subscribe to the "modify the easier to replace part" philosophy, so I slowly opened up the hole in the stock adaptor (a SAG M4 stock adaptor) with sandpaper wrapped around a small dowel chucked in a dremmel.

The pin itself fits perfect in the rear trunnion, so you don't want to thin that out or else it'll become loose on the gun.
View All Quotes

Good to know.

Good advise,thanks.
Page / 7
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top