Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 6:37:08 PM EDT
I'm trying to swap out stocks on my new WASR but can't get the factory wood stock to budge.

Of course, removed the two screws.  Just tried a heat gun to warmup the metal to hopefully expand it as well as tapping the inside of the wood stock with a blunt instrument once warmed up and hammer but no joy.

Never had this issue before.

Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull up and press down while pulling it should start to work lose if you man handle it. Up down while pulling I've had some very stubborn gun stocks on ak rifles before. I have never used heat unless it looked like there was wet lacquer applied while stock was on gun. Sometimes you need a buddy to hold the front while you man handle the rear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull up and press down while pulling it should start to work lose if you man handle it. Up down while pulling I've had some very stubborn gun stocks on ak rifles before. I have never used heat unless it looked like there was wet lacquer applied while stock was on gun. Sometimes you need a buddy to hold the front while you man handle the rear.
View Quote
+1 ^

Sometimes you just have to crank up the elbow-grease. Having someone else to help hold the rest of the gun while you pull on the stock might help, but if it turns loose suddenly, both of you may loose your balance. :-)

If you don't mind possibly scaring the stock you're removing, and you don't have a helper to hold it, you might take a rubber hammer to the vertical edges while holding the rest of the rifle muzzle upwards. Of course with the streight edges of the AK stock, there is not much to hit with the rubber hammer to get rearward force on it.

If it is still stubborn, you might be able to remove the dust-cover, spring and bolt-carrier, and get a hammer and something like a socket extension on the inside and drive it out, without damaging anything else, of course.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thx for the feedback.

If it is still stubborn, you might be able to remove the dust-cover, spring and bolt-carrier, and get a hammer and something like a socket extension on the inside and drive it out, without damaging anything else, of course.  
View Quote
I've already done exactly this but no joy.

Will keep trying.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I just used this method on a new WASR.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6D3s2Fh3X4
View Quote
You can skip to 6 min mark to see the actual procedure.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6D3s2Fh3X4
View Quote
Well, that'll do it! :-) 

I suggested using a rubber hammer and hitting the vertical edges of the stock, but not exactly like you did it in the video. I think your rubber hammer method is a winner!! 

There you go, Talyn. 

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Sputnick556 & the rest of you guys!!  

Just have to go to the hardware store & get a rubber mallet now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Ha. I just have to find where my kid left the rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, that'll do it! :-) 

I suggested using a rubber hammer and hitting the vertical edges of the stock, but not exactly like you did it in the video. I think your rubber hammer method is a winner!! 

There you go, Talyn. 

Good luck!
View Quote
Not me, I just stumbled across it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
as shown in video is best method. Any other method can tear up a stock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
It works!!

Went to my local Tractor Supply this morning and bought 32 oz. and 16 oz. rubber mallets.

Did the "mallet technique" using the 32 oz. one and after about a dozen wacks the stock came off as per the vid, but maybe a little harder than on the vid.

Now just need to fit the Polish WBP stock to the receiver. Will use the 16 oz. to put it in.  I've named the 32 oz. one... "Thors Hammer".

Maybe this thread should be put into some AK tools & techniques bin.

Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Great to hear
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top