Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 12:08:27 PM EDT
I have been looking into a budget AK purchase for a while. I seem to like most everything about the PSAK47 Zhukov. I'd like to upgrade a few things though

Trigger (ALG?)
Krebs Trigger Retaining Piece
New Hammer spring (non twisted wire)
Surefire Socom Flash Hider (For suppressor, it sounds like threads are concentric in PSAKs)

Anything else that could use a switch out? Perhaps safety lever?

I'm a pretty knowledgeable AR build person but never had an AK. I also wouldn't mind having a gunsmith do this first one if anyone has recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No need for a gunsmith, those are all drop in parts. Shouldn't take long to swap everything, even with zero experience.  

AK's really don't supprrsss all that well. I have a can I sometimes run on both my 5.45 rifles. Just be prepared for that. It's still worth it and fun if you have other suppressed guns, but I wouldn't suppress an AK as a first host or something.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No need for a gunsmith, those are all drop in parts. Shouldn't take long to swap everything, even with zero experience.  

AK's really don't supprrsss all that well. I have a can I sometimes run on both my 5.45 rifles. Just be prepared for that. It's still worth it and fun if you have other suppressed guns, but I wouldn't suppress an AK as a first host or something.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
AKT-UL is an amazing trigger and really makes the rifle a joy to shoot.

On a couple of my AKs I use an enhanced selector lever and have been happy with the addition. One is a Krebs and the other came from LegionUSA.
I like the Legion Alpha Arms selector better than the Krebs...it's smoother and cost less, but it doesn't have the bolt hold open cut out. I don't care about that myself but maybe you might.  

I have many traditional 74s but IMO these two things are a must have for any rifle that I will need for anything other than the range. They both add a nice feel to the rifle and I enjoy them both.

Not sure what you get out of changing the trigger retaining piece though. They all basically work the same and out of all the AKs I've shot over the years I've never had an issue with any retaining method.

I also run a suppressed 5.45 AK and am happy with it, and the AAC Mini 4 I use on it. It's not 300 BO quiet but it's definitely fun.

Z
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been looking into a budget AK purchase for a while. I seem to like most everything about the PSAK47 Zhukov. I'd like to upgrade a few things though

Trigger (ALG?)
Krebs Trigger Retaining Piece
New Hammer spring (non twisted wire)
Surefire Socom Flash Hider (For suppressor, it sounds like threads are concentric in PSAKs)

Anything else that could use a switch out? Perhaps safety lever?

I'm a pretty knowledgeable AR build person but never had an AK. I also wouldn't mind having a gunsmith do this first one if anyone has recommendations.
View Quote
I have a zhukov from PSA, only thing I'd change about it is the trigger. I haven't yet though and overall I like the rifle alot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a good vice our way to tighten muzzle devices so that's one reason why. I have heard the a doesn't suppress well but I have my 762 can for ars already. I'm most concerned if the muzzle device butts up against the front sight that there's no room for the suppressor collar to engage. The other worry is concentric threads

The ak safety lever always bugs me, sharp edges especially. I do like the bolt hold open though.

I was considering the Krebs Shepard's hook because the standard equipment appears to be a single wire for an important purpose

I can handle a trigger replacement but when they got into filling and fitting detents for proper engagement it looks a little tough

Also thinking of the TWS railed top cover
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The other problem at the moment is price. Looks like it was $650 two months ago and now 850. Cheapest anywhere seems to be $800
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top