Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
**ETA 2**  got it back today, looks great and this finish is good to 1400f    ready for drum goodness.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

** ETA **.   Builder got back with me this morning, said it looks to him like a bad batch of paint that bubbled up after heating and formed moisture, he's going to refinish the barrel for me no charge and said the barrel did not have any rust when it was built and he does not see any problem fixing this.  Sweet!

1960s type 3 Hungarian barrel.  In the safe tonight and noticed some rust on the barrel.  Humidity in safe has been between 50-54% since this gun was placed in there in April.  Two Chinese and another Hungarian plus numerous ARs and pistols have no rust at all.

This is a nos barrel that was just built and put in service in April.

So a few questions.

1.  What do I do to stop further rust?

2.  What can I do to remove this rust if anything?

3.  Does it look to you like this is "new" rust or was it painted over by the builder (I did not see the barrel when it was a kit, I bought the gun newly built with only test fired usage).  The barrel has about 200 rounds through it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a refinished rusty barrel. Suspect it was just decreased and painted over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
painted over rust.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys that's what I thought.  Will it keep getting worse or will climate control storage and oil hold it at bay?  Cosmetics are not a big deal to me, I'm a function guy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
0000 steel wool with oil will get rid of it. Then just lube, or refinish.  GARY
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
0000 steel wool with oil will get rid of it. Then just lube, or refinish.  GARY
View Quote
Thanks sir, I'll work on it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get yourself one of the small dehumidifiers that should be in every gun safe. link

It will keep the rest of your guns from rusting.

Sorry about the barrel in the pic.
View Quote
Safe is humidity controlled.  See op for condition of other rifles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Steel wool and use good oil on it after. I have a lot of guns and I spend a lot of time dusting  and oiling open stored guns and oiling the safe stored guns. I am OCD so it helps me. That finish will probobaly keep peeling now. It will give it character
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Steel wool and use good oil on it after. I have a lot of guns and I spend a lot of time dusting  and oiling open stored guns and oiling the safe stored guns. I am OCD so it helps me. That finish will probobaly keep peeling now. It will give it character
View Quote
Ok thanks that's my main concern what to do to control it so it won't ruin the gun, cosmetics are not a huge deal to me on a 50 year old AK.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My guess is he degreased it before painting using chlorinated brake cleaner. It will rust in short order even underneath paint. Non CL brake cleaner will not.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My guess is he degreased it before painting using chlorinated brake cleaner. It will rust in short order even underneath paint. Non CL brake cleaner will not.
View Quote
His current theory is that his helper duracoated it instead of ceracoat, which is only good to 600 degrees and it got too hot, bubbled and formed moisture.  He is going to strip and ceracoat it properly.

Thanks for the info on the brake cleaner though I did not know that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is very good info I have seen where people think any brake cleaner will be fine, but they are incorrect.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Dropped it off yesterday and got an apology from the guy that duracoated it by accident (although non was needed).

I'll have it back next week after they refinish it with ceracoat.

Pic of duracoat burning off during drum dump

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this the same guy who only painted your big toes in the pic? That to me would have been a clue.......

J/k I couldn't resist since no one else brought it up. Glad to hear you got it resolved.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump for refinish pics in OP for those interested.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good, but I would have had that rifle blued.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:21:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks good, but I would have had that rifle blued.
View Quote
I like blued as well and that would look nice, but painted is historically correct for a Hungarian type 3.  My SA85M Hungarian is also painted from the factory, as I believe all Hungarian aks are.  One of the reasons I'm into aks is my love of history so I try to keep them accurate.

I have two blued Chinese guns and it's a great finish.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:I like blued as well and that would look nice, but painted is historically correct for a Hungarian type 3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:I like blued as well and that would look nice, but painted is historically correct for a Hungarian type 3.
Rifle looks great but Hungarian Type 3 rifles were blued.  Their stamped AK's were painted.

Quoted: One of the reasons I'm into aks is my love of history so I try to keep them accurate.
Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Rifle looks great but Hungarian Type 3 rifles were blued.  Their stamped AK's were painted.

Ouch.
View Quote
All of the info I can find says they are painted with a baked on phosphate type black paint, milled and stamped.

Where are you getting your info?  A google search also only shows bluing for Hungarians due to personal preference, milled or stamped.  My research includes two Hungarian army vets that say painted.  I hand picked this kit from a large group of type 3 Hungarian kits in person and they all had a painted finish from the factory (although aged and in need of refinishing!)

And learning never hurts, I don't have an ego on this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Well this has me intrigued now, there are some good sources saying they were "blued" with a black oxide method that makes them look more black than the traditional Chinese blued look.  Evidently over the decades of the Cold War they were also refinished from time to time as needed, with more and more being parked and painted/baked.

So the batch I looked through may have been rearsenaled at some point and refinished?  Very interesting trail I've been led down now...

If anyone has any other info on this I'd be interested to hear/learn.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Definitely blued. 

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
It's definitely a darker bluing than the Chicom guns, very nice..  My guns serial also starts with "BM", but my barrel number starts with an "N" and then a number.  If your barrel is original, can you tell me if it starts with a letter?  I saw an example online that started with an "E".

Thanks for the info and pics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Original worn finish, numbers matching Hungarian kit built on a Bulgarian SLR100 receiver.  Receiver was blued and "worn" to match kit.

I like the mis-stamp on the carrier serial number (1 under the 0).

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
My original Hungarian T3 kit is blued.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I'm convinced boys, the batch I picked from must have been re done at some point long ago.  Sweet looking rifles!

I'm just glad I went from oh shit I picked a rusty barrel to oh it just needs a better finish lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's definitely a darker bluing than the Chicom guns, very nice.. My guns serial also starts with "BM", but my barrel number starts with an "N" and then a number. If your barrel is original, can you tell me if it starts with a letter? I saw an example online that started with an "E".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's definitely a darker bluing than the Chicom guns, very nice.. My guns serial also starts with "BM", but my barrel number starts with an "N" and then a number. If your barrel is original, can you tell me if it starts with a letter? I saw an example online that started with an "E".

No letter, just numbers

It is smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No letter, just numbers
http://i.imgur.com/hqm8VHU.jpg?2

It is smooth as butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1N4ykz7sq4
View Quote
Very nice!  My barrel has that same tiny E in a circle like yours does.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/gCF5Khg.jpg

Original worn finish, numbers matching Hungarian kit built on a Bulgarian SLR100 receiver.  Receiver was blued and "worn" to match kit.

I like the mis-stamp on the carrier serial number (1 under the 0).

http://i.imgur.com/J1lGszS.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice rifle F-Ted. Any chance we could get you to show us some more pics?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread reminded me to take my Hungarian out to the range.

Plus the Bulgarian AKS47 and RPK

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's a nice rifle F-Ted. Any chance we could get you to show us some more pics?
View Quote
+1 That thing is sharp!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This thread reminded me to take my Hungarian out to the range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t9kSW0WxLY

Plus the Bulgarian AKS47 and RPK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMxSlDUIWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_GDezl_mE
View Quote
Nice, I'll be getting my refinished one out this week, he said it would be cured by Wednesday.  I'll post something up.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top