Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 4:47:25 PM EDT
Found one that looks great for $550.

Chromed lined barrel? Are they worth considering or should I stay away?

Is there anything I should inspect or look at before buying?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert on WW, but i have some some posts on AK Files that said they're 74's aren't so good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the rule of thumb is that if the receiver was actually made by Waffen Werks then you should avoid it. I got an early example in a trade a few  years back that used an original barreled Bulgarian AKK-74 kit on a Nodak receiver. The rivet work was garbage but I fixed that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the rule of thumb is that if the receiver was actually made by Waffen Werks then you should avoid it. I got an early example in a trade a few  years back that used an original barreled Bulgarian AKK-74 kit on a Nodak receiver. The rivet work was garbage but I fixed that.
View Quote
That's the rule I was told to go by when I happened across one last year... one thing to add is DDI bought the remnants and I believe was warrantying all the old WW guns but with DDI now effectively defunct since selling to PSA I would assume they are no longer supporting these.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The rifle on the right is a Waffen Werks 74 with their in house receiver. I bought it used and was able to inspect the rivets/safety for straight and proper alignment in the receiver as well as all the normal AK things.  It has a chrome lined 4140 barrel. Everything checked out and few thousand rounds later it's one of my favorite rifles. Shoots a solid 2 MOA with Wolf 60 grain FMJ. Some WW AK-74s were/are very nice rifles.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've also had good service out of my Waffen Werks AK74.  Guess I got lucky for once
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've also had good service out of my Waffen Werks AK74.  Guess I got lucky for once
View Quote
I wonder how many people have a perfectly functional Waffen Werks 74. It's always the those with problems who make the most noise
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one with a Nodak Spud receiver and other than the canted front sight it was fine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one on trade. I was told it was a DDI built on a WW receiver. It has a low round count but so far it has been great for me. I tried to figure out a way to tell if it is a true DDI or if its a WW but so far my google-fu has not been good enough to find out 100% either way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two of them.  One built on an NDS receiver and one on their WW receiver.  I have never had any trouble with either of them and they are among my favorite 74s to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a '74 built on a WW receiver by DDI. Problem free so far. Zero issues, no FTE, no FTF. For $550, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a '74 built on a WW receiver by DDI. Problem free so far. Zero issues, no FTE, no FTF. For $550, I say go for it.
View Quote
A gun built by DDI on a WW receiver isn't the same as a WW build on a WW receiver, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A gun built by DDI on a WW receiver isn't the same as a WW build on a WW receiver, unfortunately.
View Quote
My gun is a WW build on a WW receiver. It has been excellent for thousands of rounds. I'll concede that you're rolling the dice, but it can potentially be very nice.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top