Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 10:14:23 AM EDT
I know that it is a totally different looking gun, but how is the quality?
Any reports of canting sights, etc?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
A few points on the Ace. I have quite a lot of experience with them and am quite a fan as a result.

Pros:
-They are very, very accurate. The only 7.62x39 rifle I have shot that is more accurate is the CMMG Mutant.
-Left side charging and safety in a location that is easily actuated by the user's thumb.
-Excellent sights on par with an M16.
-Heavy duty milled receiver with appropriately thick parts, chrome lining, and brilliant machining on other parts.
-Very reliable. I have experienced 1 failure in 5000 rounds caused by bad ammunition.
-Mags rock in with ease, and mag-lock is just about impossible.
-Full length pic-rail and a front quad rail.
-Comes with a factory cheek-riser that is detachable (saves you money on buying one).
-Dust cover fits on SOLID. The rubber gasket makes it so tight that a light tap with a mallet makes it pop on.
-Night sights work great!
-Excellent trigger for a rifle of this type.

Cons:
-Little aftermarket (right now).
-Heavy and a bit bulky.
-Uses a funky buffer tube that isn't compatible with other stocks.
-The recoil buffer is polymer and may need to be replaced in 25 years.
-Folding stock is a bit tough to fold.
-Cannot replace the pistol grip without removing the lower and adding a new trigger guard.

Thoughts:
-The rifle is very AK-Like, but is also different enough that many may not consider it in the AK family. I however believe that the similarities are greater than the differences.
-The gun is not a replacement for an AK in a collection. They shoot and feel different enough that you can justify both rifles. The AK's rear sight above the chamber is much less precise than the Galil's peep and the recoil impulse is different.
-I believe you could run and get an ace into action faster than a conventional AK due to the rock-in funnel, safety, etc.
-I do not see replacing a $2.00 buffer in 20 years to be a huge detriment.
-Lastly, I believe the ACE is currently the best 7.62x39 rifle on the US market. The best 7.62x39 rifle you can buy in the US is the Valmet M62 but those havent been imported or even made in decades.

So I really don't think an ACE is a bad buy. While expensive, they are amazing rifles.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My Dad picked up an Ace in 7.62x39.  It is an excellent rifle.  I would definitely put it above any Arsenal.  I have a SLR-95 Arsenal, and it is a great rifle.  However, I prefer the ACE.

My Dad owns two Valmet 62s, a 5.56 Galil ARM, a .308 Galil AR, and a Polytech Bakelite sidefolder.  They hide out in the safe, and he shoots the ACE.  

Ignore those that feel you must own a traditionally configured AK.  I love the old ones, but the ACE has real improvements that make the rifle more useable.  

The ACE has been adopted by several countries.  I like knowing that I'm buying a proven product. It is military grade.

IWI has a reputation for top notch customer service.  If you have a problem with the rifle (doubtful) they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Im seeing them for $1500 online.  Not gonna lie, Im tempted.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes absolutely! The galil ace is the real game changer! You get m16 style peep sights that have tritium filled.night sights. Accuracy is outstanding! Little better machining on parts and the recoil on the galil ace is smooth and doesn't kick the shit out of you like the Sam7. A Pic rail that runs all the from the rear to the front sight. And the best part is the finish on the ace is solvent proof unlike arsenal. I had a Sam7sf and sold it after a month owning the ace. I love the left side charging handle on the ace over a traditional ak!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
How would you go about SBRing one of these?  What's the 922r list look like?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
When is the 5.56 model coming out?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm of no help to you OP other than I'm lusting for an ACE in a bad way, but I'm waiting a bit for the price to drop.  I bought in on the Beretta ARX 100 when they were $1300.  They are now under $1000 and that's fine, I'm not selling mine.  I just don't want to feel like I've over paid for an ACE.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Around July August time frame I was told.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Sam7sf around neighborhood of $1250 then add the features of the ace add $120 for night sights $120 for a scope rail then let's say $30 for the a poly rail lower handguard then to refinish the paint job $150 with cerakote. Your looking around $1670 for a Sam7 deck out with the features of a ace. With that amount of money invested you might as well get the ace. BTW the ace has a folding/ collapsible stock while the arsenal doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're out now. IWI announced that they shipped their first batch today. More in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're out now. IWI announced that they shipped their first batch today. More in 3 weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow! That better than July-august!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a desire for one until I learned they cannot run suppressed or take Bulgy waffle mags.  Last part in particular was the deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I was really into them until I learned you cant use Circle 10 waffle mags.  Theyre my favorite magazines and they make up like half the mags I have, so it was pretty disappointing.  The magazine well interferes with them going in.  I dont want an AK that needs its own set of magazines.

I still think about getting one sometimes and modifying it though.  I want to remove the plastic lower and install a grip, trigger guard, and mag release, but Im not 100% sure I would even be able to.

From what Ive seen and heard, its a pretty sweet gun though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Was able to shoot the full line at SHOT. My impressions are that if you want an AK, get an AK. If you want an AK that is a bit more refined, and which you can run almost like an AR, get an ACE. I really agree with the poster who said that the 7.62x39 version is the best 7.62x39 semi on the market now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]
How are they suppressed ?

Need a .30cal AK host and not wanting to mess with the Draco sbr.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How are they suppressed ?

Need a .30cal AK host and not wanting to mess with the Draco sbr.
View Quote
apparently abysmal
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#17]
How does it like Surplus mags? (7.62x39mm)

I love the look of this rifle and I think I'm going to pick one up if they go cheaper 
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top