Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2017 7:18:59 PM EDT
As I detailed I'm my last thread (Learning the AK) I really enjoy this rifle. My current ak is a really nice Mak 90 and I would like a beater.
A friend has a WASR 10/63 with a Romanian side folding stock for sale. Is this a good shooter rifle for a 2nd ak/truck/farm rifle?  

I am looking for any opinions on this rifle.  Additionally is the Romanian side folder a functional stock for shooting a lot of rounds?
Or would I be better served replacing it with a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#1]
WASRs are good rifles. The side folder on those will be personal preference, but many don't like them. Those wire folders aren't the most comfortable, but for a truck gun, I'd say it's a solid choice. Nice and compact
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As I detailed I'm my last thread (Learning the AK) I really enjoy this rifle. My current ak is a really nice Mak 90 and I would like a beater.
A friend has a WASR 10/63 with a Romanian side folding stock for sale. Is this a good shooter rifle for a 2nd ak/truck/farm rifle?  

I am looking for any opinions on this rifle.  Additionally is the Romanian side folder a functional stock for shooting a lot of rounds?
Or would I be better served replacing it with a fixed stock.
View Quote

WASR's are great rifles for the price and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if the price was right. As for the stock, that is going to come down to personal preference. I personally don't like the wire folders. I think they are uncomfortable to shoot (I also don't like triangle folders for the same reason), and prefer a underfolder for a compact gun. I have two underfolders, one a standard M70AB2 and the other my SBR M92 and both work fine for me. If it is just going to sit under the seat of your truck and only be shot occasionally, then it will probably be okay.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking for a rifle to shoot a lot and keep wear and tear off my nicer ak.  I'm thinking of going with a fixed stock.  It's actually tough to find a laminate Wasr stock.  I seem to remember seeing them everywhere until now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny how times have changed. When I started playing with AK's, the MAK90 was the beater. $269 or less, brand new. I still have a stamped one I got for $300, & a milled one I got new for $425. To me, the Chinese are one of the best, as they never adopted the AKM changes.  GARY
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up the rifle mentioned in the first post.  It was extremely filthy and had three layers of various paints on it.   Fortunately the wood was unpainted but everything else seen in the pictures was.   I spent most of my free time today stripping the paint and cleaning. I also painted the original grip to look like Bakelite.  All in all I'm happy with this purchase: everything looks pretty straight mechanically.  I'm excited to shoot it this weekend. I love the looks of the Romy side folder but the cheek weld is too different from my other AK so I think it will go.  Only thing missing is the tang screw.  I hope this search hardware stores tomorrow and come up with one.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Another sweet looking AK ! Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't kill it, can't be beat down, and will always shoot WASR.  Gotta love 'em.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top