Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 3:01:00 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy should one exspect from an AK? I always been an AR guy and decided to try out an AK. Even with irons on all my ARs I can still get 2-3" groups at 100 yards with m193. But with this AK I got I am around 3-4" groups at 50 yards with different ammo.
I bought a century RAS47 and I hear the barrels are AR quality.
I don't want to start a century hate thread. According to some on this site I bought a ticking time bomb that is going to blow up.

Here is what I got at 50 yards. 5 shot group with 4 different kinds of ammo.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the ammo you were trying? Using red army standard my wasr does 2-4" at 100 yards or so. I'd expect better from your rifle at 50 yards. How many rounds total did you put down range? You might just need to get used to the rifle a little more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Finding out which ammo your rifle likes and some practice should have you shooting 2"-3" at 100 yards pretty consistently.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was the ammo you were trying? Using red army standard my wasr does 2-4" at 100 yards or so. I'd expect better from your rifle at 50 yards. How many rounds total did you put down range? You might just need to get used to the rifle a little more.
View Quote
I have all 4 types writen on the paper. Red army standard was the best out of the 4.  I only shot 60 rounds today. First time shooting it. So I do need to get used to it
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
From many years of personal experience, I can tell you that just like any other large general category/type of rifle, that AK's are just like all the rest, they are all over the map. I've seen AK's that couldn't do minute-of-barn, and seen some that could consistently do 1 MOA. My gunsmith buddy and I spec'ed out a custom build one time that he guaranteed 1/2 MOA from, but that would have been seriously expensive for an AK.

I'm plenty happy with 2 MOA, and all my rifles will do 3 or better, the SA-85 is still the king in my stable as it has turned in numerous 1 MOA groups. So of course my wife claimed it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Here is what I got at 50 yards. 5 shot group with 4 different kinds of ammo.
View Quote

That's pathetic.  My first suspicion would be the shooter.  In most instances, it is the shooter.  Maybe you just suck with AK irons and need some work?  It could be the rifle or ammo.  It's best to try a variety of ammo and see what the rifle likes.  However, you've done that.  So, it's likely the rifle or the shooter  A scope/red dot, and sled will help eliminate the shooter from being the factor.  

I have a Draco that will effortlessly do 1"-1.5" groups at 50 yards all day long with Wolf Polyformance, but when I shoot Golden Tiger with that same rifle, I can only shoot 2"-3" groups.  In my experience, it is uncommon that rifles can be this temperamental and picky at such a short distance, but it does happen.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's pathetic.  My first suspicion would be the shooter.  In most instances, it is the shooter.  Maybe you just suck with AK irons and need some work?  It could be the rifle or ammo.  It's best to try a variety of ammo and see what the rifle likes.  However, you've done that.  So, it's likely the rifle or the shooter  A scope/red dot, and sled will help eliminate the shooter from being the factor.  

I have a Draco that will effortlessly do 1"-1.5" groups at 50 yards all day long with Wolf Polyformance, but when I shoot Golden Tiger with that same rifle, I can only shoot 2"-3" groups.  In my experience, it is uncommon that rifles can be this temperamental and picky at such a short distance, but it does happen.
View Quote
I am not used to AKs correct but I have shot my mosins for years and I can group better then this at 150 yards.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on the AK and where/how it was manufactured. I have Romanian WASRs that hit the paper, but aren't exactly tack drivers. Let's say 4-6 MOA, unless I have them on a bench, nailed down, so to speak. Then it's a bit better. I also have a Norinco 56-S underfolder from about 30 years ago, which is pretty accurate. It's not as accurate as my AR, but it's close. I wouldn't be surprised if the accuracy of the Chinese versus the Romanians is due to the thicker metal of the former's receiver?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My ban era sam7s is minute of pop can at 100 yards with wpa good enough for me. set up a 10" paper ring at 100 yards if you can get all your shots from a 30 round mag on it I'd call it good. I'm talking slow aimed shooting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I will note My elevation was perfect but windage was like a foot off. I had a plastic punch and a hammer with me so I drifted it over. It drifted really easy. Almost too easy. Any worry these front sights will move on their own or under recoil?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I will note My elevation was perfect but windage was like a foot off. I had a plastic punch and a hammer with me so I drifted it over. It drifted really easy. Almost too easy. Any worry these front sights will move on their own or under recoil?
View Quote

On an RAS yes, I think Rob Ski was able to move his windage drum with just his thumbs while testing the RAS47. oh and yes the RAS is a timebomb in some cases, AKOU just posted this on their facebook it's an RAS that just kaboomd

if you plan on keeping yours, get a no go gauge and check it after each range trip.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't really have a choice. Gun shops won't let you return guns
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]
There are two good things about a RAS47. The barrel and the trigger. You should be able to shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards all day long.

It is only a matter of time until the rifle becomes unusable. I am sorry that you have been ripped off like the rest of us who bought these pieces of junk.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#13]
can you sandbag it into a fully supported firing position and test what the gun can do?

A lead sled is a great testing platform 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Moving the windage drum should take some effort. I doubt a plastic punch and hammer would move it on any of my rifles.

Occasionally the windage drum is too loose on some rifles. . An easy band aid is to stake the drum like the gas key screws on an AR bolt carrier. That should give enough resistance so it won't move under recoil.

I'd test fire with a red dot and see if you do better. That could tell you if the drum is moving or not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
What ever good you "hear" about Century builds is probably wrong. I have heard they use Green Mountain barrels on them, so that would be a positive.

It looks like you just haven't found the ammo the barrel likes. My Yugo like Wolf HP for what ever reason. Tula is #2 and not by very much. Keep looking.

If you plan to keep the rifle, clean and inspect it after every range day. Pay attention to the trunions and railings. Invest in a No-Go gauge, and use it. Listen to it if it says you're playing with fire.

I wish I could help with the sight problem, but it has been addressed by one member.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd test fire with a red dot and see if you do better. That could tell you if the drum is moving or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
can you sandbag it into a fully supported firing position and test what the gun can do?

A lead sled is a great testing platform 

These are your best bet to eliminate drifting sights or other shooter induced variables. Should help you narrow it down pretty quick
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Shooting the AK is a whole different animal than the AR or the Moisin. The short buttstock requires a whole new shooting cheek weld, and if you're a bigger guy you'll feel "scrunched up" on the gun. Sights are way different than the AR, of course, but also a *much* shorter sight plane than the flamethrower. So practice, practice, practice.
Also, if you think the front sight drum is moving, put a line from a pencil on it down inside the front sight house (an index mark, you know) then shoot it and see if it moves. If it does, back to century it goes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I suggest you ad a red sticker on your targets and try again. Aim small miss small. Those groups will tighten
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It depends on the AK and where/how it was manufactured. I have Romanian WASRs that hit the paper, but aren't exactly tack drivers. Let's say 4-6 MOA, unless I have them on a bench, nailed down, so to speak. Then it's a bit better . . .
View Quote
That weird.  I have a SAR (same gun, same factory, just no "W") and mine is 556; otherwise the exact same.

It's about 1 MOA with match ammo.

OP: you need to find some Lapua am mo and try again.  Or hand load some with Lapua match bullets.

All of the ammo you listed is garbage ammo.  No gun will shoot well if the ammo is as bad as that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Not a big AK guy, but I have a Saiga I bought a couple of years ago and an I.O. AKM247 I bought last year. I did quite a bit of shooting, most of it at 200 yds. The Saiga is pretty darned accurate especially with Golden Tiger and handloads.

But the I.O. really surprised me:

Forgotten commercial ammo-

Tulammo-

Handload-

Not match accuracy but 5"-6" @ 200 yds. ain't bad.

The Saiga:

I even shot the Saiga at 300 yds., but don't have a bench there so had to shoot prone so groups weren't quite as good, but still around 15"-18".

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#21]
At 100 yards with Hornady SST's and using a 1-6 power scope on 6x power, I've gotten just under 1 MOA. I wanted to see how much accuracy that I could squeeze out of it. Anyone who says that an AK is not accurate is either regurgitating inaccurate information, or they are shooting a poor quality AK.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
My advice to the OP...first the rifle.  Enjoy the gun ans shoot it.  The gun community has a ton of hatred and snobbery against Century.  Go ahead and attack me at will LOL.  I like all style rifles and handguns, have been an AR shooter for quite a few years, and now have my first AK.  I like the AK platform a lot.  Century rifles arent grenades waiting to go off.  Sure, someone blew one up...I can most likely google for any brand of rifle or handgun and find someone who has blown on up.  The gold standard for advice that everyone seems to use is Rob Ski at AK Op Union.  I really like the guy, and do take his advice...but any rifle that makes it through that guy will last all of us many lifetimes.  The RAS47 in his hands lasted 5000 rounds before he retired it.  At the very end a no go gauge chambered and he figured the gun was a grenade.  Maybe...but not necessarily.  What was it's head space out of the box?  What was it at 2000 rounds?  Head space alone does not equal a gun blow up.  Again, maybe his was.  The wear he shows on his bolts and carriers doesn't seem to equal what most other people experience...and he's the only one I know that fills the receiver with sand and pebbles and shoots the gun...over and over again.  He tortures rifles and if it fails with him it just means it didn't last his tests.  The guy is an animal on his guns.  There are an awful lot of people who have high round counts through Century rifles without any issue.  So, keep your rifle, enjoy it...learn with it, and see where you are at a few years.  Bolts and barrels can always be purchased and fitted so just have fun and ignore the hate people spread.  For each hater there's hundreds of fans.

With that out of the way, what I've learned is a AK is a different animal when shooting and you actually did good for your first time, not knowing your rifle, unsupported at 50 yards did I read?  You'll shrink those groups in no time.  An AK has a very short site radius, and with those sites I get best groups if I put my cheek almost to the receiver, and I hold the magwell.  After a few outings my groups are about an inch and a half supported at 50 yards, and leaning against a tree I can hit an 8 inch plate at 100 yards fairly easily.  I was shooting mine today kneeling (in the wet snow) and was hitting the 8" plate easy enough, with a few misses though.  

Your front site is loose, but thats easily fixable.  It was the exact same way on my C39V2, and a few here on this forum gave me great advice.  I was trying to avoid sending it back, so I unscrewed the front pin, slid the windage drum out the right side, and used a spring loaded nail punch to create 7 craters on the drum where it contacts the large bearing area at the rear of the base (you'll see it when you pull yours).  I installed mine and shot 4 magazines and it's still tight after getting hot and then cold.  I'm still testing this fix but things are looking good so far.  We'll see.  Like someone here mentioned, staking will also correct the problem.  

So, in wrapping up...ignore the hate and have fun with your AK without buyers remorse...that's why we buy our rifles right? Practice and you'll master what it takes to shoot it well.  You have a nice rifle, great barrel and trigger so it's capable of good accuracy.  Rest that rifle and come back to this thread and post your improvement with photos.  Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My advice to the OP...first the rifle.  Enjoy the gun ans shoot it.  The gun community has a ton of hatred and snobbery against Century.  Go ahead and attack me at will LOL.  I like all style rifles and handguns, have been an AR shooter for quite a few years, and now have my first AK.  I like the AK platform a lot.  Century rifles arent grenades waiting to go off.  Sure, someone blew one up...I can most likely google for any brand of rifle or handgun and find someone who has blown on up.  The gold standard for advice that everyone seems to use is Rob Ski at AK Op Union.  I really like the guy, and do take his advice...but any rifle that makes it through that guy will last all of us many lifetimes.  The RAS47 in his hands lasted 5000 rounds before he retired it.  At the very end a no go gauge chambered and he figured the gun was a grenade.  Maybe...but not necessarily.  What was it's head space out of the box?  What was it at 2000 rounds?  Head space alone does not equal a gun blow up.  Again, maybe his was.  The wear he shows on his bolts and carriers doesn't seem to equal what most other people experience...and he's the only one I know that fills the receiver with sand and pebbles and shoots the gun...over and over again.  He tortures rifles and if it fails with him it just means it didn't last his tests.  The guy is an animal on his guns.  There are an awful lot of people who have high round counts through Century rifles without any issue.  So, keep your rifle, enjoy it...learn with it, and see where you are at a few years.  Bolts and barrels can always be purchased and fitted so just have fun and ignore the hate people spread.  For each hater there's hundreds of fans.

With that out of the way, what I've learned is a AK is a different animal when shooting and you actually did good for your first time, not knowing your rifle, unsupported at 50 yards did I read?  You'll shrink those groups in no time.  An AK has a very short site radius, and with those sites I get best groups if I put my cheek almost to the receiver, and I hold the magwell.  After a few outings my groups are about an inch and a half supported at 50 yards, and leaning against a tree I can hit an 8 inch plate at 100 yards fairly easily.  I was shooting mine today kneeling (in the wet snow) and was hitting the 8" plate easy enough, with a few misses though.  

Your front site is loose, but thats easily fixable.  It was the exact same way on my C39V2, and a few here on this forum gave me great advice.  I was trying to avoid sending it back, so I unscrewed the front pin, slid the windage drum out the right side, and used a spring loaded nail punch to create 7 craters on the drum where it contacts the large bearing area at the rear of the base (you'll see it when you pull yours).  I installed mine and shot 4 magazines and it's still tight after getting hot and then cold.  I'm still testing this fix but things are looking good so far.  We'll see.  Like someone here mentioned, staking will also correct the problem.  

So, in wrapping up...ignore the hate and have fun with your AK without buyers remorse...that's why we buy our rifles right? Practice and you'll master what it takes to shoot it well.  You have a nice rifle, great barrel and trigger so it's capable of good accuracy.  Rest that rifle and come back to this thread and post your improvement with photos.  Good luck and have fun.
View Quote
Excellent post. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
ETA: Nevermind. It's tiring trying to dispel all of this flawed logic all the time. Someone else can do it this time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The majority of which is well earned.

Oh the irony. Also, it's definitely more than one that has experienced a catastrophic failure.

Sure, but of those that are AKs, how many of them had a catastrophic failure due to inherent material defects as opposed to an OOB detonation or ammo failure?

Yes, he does check prior to the end of testing. You do know that headspace is a critical dimension to maintain for a reason, correct? That's why they make precision gauges to measure it.

What other people? The people that put maybe 200 rounds a year through them? From my experience if a person decides to choose a rifle with known quality issues in order to save less than $100 they're typically not going to be putting 5,000 rounds down range in the entire time they own said rifle. So it's not surprising that they wear wouldn't be as noticeable.

Can you link to the "awful lot" of people that are documenting these high round counts?

When it comes to the RAS, the bolt is the least of the worries. The barrels have never been in question on the RAS or the C39 except from people that refuse that have anything other than a CHF barrel (which is misguided, IMHO).

I would be more than ecstatic if Century, IO, and any other company that produces US made AK's put out a quality product that rivals foreign production in every way. But that's as likely to happen any time soon for the same reason a US made SVD hasn't been produced, because the average American gun owner is not willing to spend the money to have it done correctly. Maybe it'll happen one day, and I hope it does, but until that happens they need to be called out on it and not have their failures brushed off as just "hater" talk. This should apply to every company, including Arsenal and their shitty paint and persistent canted sights.
View Quote
I swear....some AK owners out there are the biggest Drama Queens in the firearms world.

If you don't think RAS's, I.O.'s et al, are safe or a good value for the money, then don't buy them. See how simple that is??
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I swear....some AK owners out there are the biggest Drama Queens in the firearms world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nearly as bad as guys that complain about other people's iron sight preferences, huh?

Quoted:
If you don't think RAS's, I.O.'s et al, are safe or a good value for the money, then don't buy them. See how simple that is??
Oh, I don't. But I do repair them from time to time. I've also stated multiple times that the Century builds should be enjoyed for what they are, and criticized for what they're not (just like every other brand). But you know, people wrapping their egos up in their purchase choices and all of that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you. I put a sharply mark on my front sight to see if it moves on its own
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#28]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uOyZ5t_di4

Found this the other day.  

Cheers,

Jack
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow...that looked way, way more like 50 yds. than 100. Nevertheless, hitting a 1 1/2" charcoal briquette at 50 yds. with a AK is no small feat!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Back in about 2010, I took all six of the AK's my dad and I own to the range to shoot them for groups at 100 yards. I had two factory Chinese Type 56's, an arsenal SAM-7, arsenal SGL-21 or whatever it is in 7.62, and a couple of Yugo M70s my dad built from parts kits.

Using brown bear ammo, all six weapons (all in 7.62x39) shot 2-4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Each and every one of them. 3" was pretty typical. Your guns should be doing better than 4" groups at 50 yards. I suspect you just have trouble using the irons on an AK.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Like I said before a small aiming point makes a huge difference at any range. Aim small miss small.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I recently began to experiment with my AK.

My first course of action was to prepare mexican match loads and evaluate accuracy before and after.

Here is monarch brand 7.62

Here is the Mexican Match:

Mexican match was a simple recipe involving a pulled bullet and carefully re-measuring the powder to equal 24 exact grains. Then the casing was topped off with a hornady vmax .310

The results were a definate improvement over the factory ammo.

I also tested to see if thr ultimak improved accuracy. Im on my phone so you its easier to link the article.

Red Rifleman #1: Accuracy Testing

Lets say that my results with the ultimak were not favorable. I will give it another chance when i hit the range again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Good stuff! For the sake of consistency I'd suggest you neck size the cases after you pull the original projectiles. This should help ensure consistent neck tension for when you reset the bullets.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top