Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 11:34:55 AM EDT
It's been a while since I've been looking at the AK market and man, things are a tad bit different aren't they? No more $300 WASRs huh.

As far as entry guns are concerned the two most recommended AKMs are the WASR 10 and the Serbian N-PAP. Between the two which one would you go with? I know the PAPs use a different furniture set and regular accessories won't necessarily fit, but I'm not really looking to change out those parts anyway. The N-PAPs are seemingly always cheaper than the WASRs too, which is funny to me because I remember a decade ago the awful reputation they had (and they look a hell of a lot better today than they did all that time ago.).

So, for an entry gun what I won't really change anything on, what do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a WASR...I have two NPaps and regret them every day  Problems with NPaps
1.  Heavy for no reason..you'd think stronger receiver but no they seem to not be heat treated so they are weaker
2.  Not chrome lined, not even nitrided
3.  Non-standard furniture
4.  Crap materials--look up bolt carrier tail peening, both of mine have it bad

Ive had 3 WASRs and Ive never had a single issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a WASR and have had no problems with it. No experience with a NPaps but I'd pass based on what hezekiah says.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Save a bit longer and get an Arsenal 107-11 or an O-PAP if u can find one and be done with it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems to be the general consensus; WASR>N-PAP. It's a shame all the O-PAPs dried up, I would have snagged one of those. The newer WASRs are beautiful compared to their early 2000's offerings. Good wood and a magazine well that's actually cut properly rather than a monkey at Century with a dremel!

I actually prefer the WASR over the PAP too but the only reason I asked was because there seems to be a shortage of WASRs in my area as of late. Places that used to stock 10/15 of them at a pop now don't have any at all. All the have are the N-PAPs and the shit American AKs that I won't consider, ever. Is there a lack of supply on the Romanian guns right now, or is it just my area?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
While i have a couple wasr and theyre ok the vepr fm11 hbar is the shit
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Problems with NPaps
1.  Heavy for no reason..you'd think stronger receiver but no they seem to not be heat treated so they are weaker
2.  Not chrome lined, not even nitrided
3.  Non-standard furniture
4.  Crap materials--look up bolt carrier tail peening, both of mine have it bad
View Quote

1. Not sure that's ever been confirmed across the board.
2. Not a big deal.
3. True.
4. Not really. All carrier tails will peen to some degree. Others will more when the hammer is harder than the carrier, as is the case with the Tapco G2. The worst carrier tail peening I've seen was on my Hungarian Type 3 kit from its days in military service.

Despite all of that, I would still go with a WASR just as you surmised.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#7]
N-pap fixed stock for the cheek slap. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
You see a lot more problems with the yugos than you do with the romanians.  I don't see any reason to gamble with an NPAP.  I have owned several WASRs/Dracos and they have never disappointed me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1. Not sure that's ever been confirmed across the board.
2. Not a big deal.
3. True.
4. Not really. All carrier tails will peen to some degree. Others will more when the hammer is harder than the carrier, as is the case with the Tapco G2. The worst carrier tail peening I've seen was on my Hungarian Type 3 kit from its days in military service.

Despite all of that, I would still go with a WASR just as you surmised.
View Quote

Lots of guns come with Tapco G2 and none but the NPaps peen themselves flat.  Not chrome/nitride isn't a huge deal, but it just one more small negative point when compared to WASR, unless you actually prefer a plain barrel over chrome lined??
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I will agree the OPAPs didn't have as many reported issues as the NPAPs, but for an entry AK I still think they're fine and would add one to my collection. PAPs tend to have better finish & furniture although WASRs have stepped up their game in that department over the past few years.

I went with a WASR for the chrome lined barrel & the lighter profile barrel & receiver. And compatible with all AKM accessories.

The PSA AKs are looking good as well although I'd avoid buying used and getting one of the early cast trunnion rifles.

Atlantic Firearms does carry (or used to) a few VEPRs starting around $700, I think one's a 16" barrel and the other's a 20", both with thumbhole stocks. Heavy setups but VERY well built. IMHO the best bang-for-the-buck if you want more than an entry level rifle without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know where people would get new Wasr's. The Romanian factory has a big military contract, so there's no guns to send here. I'm looking in the current Century catalog, & there's no Romy AK's in there at all. Just Serbian, & Century made AK's in there. We are the largest FFL in Florida, & haven't seen a new Wasr in many months. Plenty of Serbian, & US made Century AK's though.  GARY
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know where people would get new Wasr's. The Romanian factory has a big military contract, so there's no guns to send here. I'm looking in the current Century catalog, & there's no Romy AK's in there at all. Just Serbian, & Century made AK's in there. We are the largest FFL in Florida, & haven't seen a new Wasr in many months. Plenty of Serbian, & US made Century AK's though.  GARY
View Quote

Atlantic has them in stock right now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The mighty WASR for sure. I like my Zastava's, but i'd buy a WASR first if I didn't have any AK's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of guns come with Tapco G2 and none but the NPaps peen themselves flat.
View Quote

Not true at all. The NPAP's just got the most exposure for such.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not true at all. The NPAP's just got the most exposure for such.
View Quote

What others do that, I want to make sure and not buy them.  I have a Wasr and a Saiga with those triggers and they aren't beating themselves flat on the bolt tail.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What others do that, I want to make sure and not buy them.  I have a Wasr and a Saiga with those triggers and they aren't beating themselves flat on the bolt tail.  Thanks
View Quote

WASR:

WASR #2:

WASR #3:

AES-10B (Same factory as the WASR):

Arsenal converted Saiga:

Hungarian AMD:

Polish WBP:
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought there was something up with the supply of the Romanian guns. I know atlantic has them at the moment but my transfer dealer is in the process of moving and can't do any until he's settled in his new location, so I'm stuck with the local market for right now (or pay $75 for a transfer everywhere else around here ).
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
WASR
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a WASR when I turned 18 and was just getting into guns. I only had it for a short while cause I totaled my car like three days later and ended up selling it right away, but I can at least remember how shoddy they looked back then and how great they look now!

I'll never forget that rifle because it introduced me to the wide world of gun shops and their fucked up pricing. Dunham's had it for $290 at the time but I picked it up from a local shop instead for $500 on the false information that this was one of the better Romanian imports, better than the cheaper one down the street. I was confused about that difference (it was really the difference between the WASRs and the SARs) and the dbag took full advantage of me and my ignorance. Not knowing how disparate pricing in this world could be I thought that there is no way that this can be twice the price and be the same thing, right!? WRONG!!!

I had to go back to the shop THREE TIMES to get all of the accessories it was supposed to come with, like an extra mag, sling etc. Real shithole of a shop, still in business though. I bet their WASRs are probably a grand right now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, but one less now ...

Cheers,

Jack
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the WASR
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cheers,

Jack
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,

Jack

I get mine on Monday!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lots of guns come with Tapco G2 and none but the NPaps peen themselves flat.  Not chrome/nitride isn't a huge deal, but it just one more small negative point when compared to WASR, unless you actually prefer a plain barrel over chrome lined??
View Quote
Not true, I have a WASR with around 7k rounds and the carrier tail is pretty severely peened. It's almost to the point that it needs to be cleaned up around the edges a little bit. The rifle runs fine, has never failed.

The original G2 has almost eaten it's disconnector, it's about time to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up my WASR-10 yesterday.  Thanks, Atlantic.  It looks great.  I don't see any canting anywhere.  The trigger is pretty sweet.  The wood is actually pretty cool, with some decent grain, not like the usual Century uniform blonde wood.  The rifle came with one Pmag, a sling, a manual, and the classic cleaning kit.  The finish is good and uniform.  I can't wait to get to the range.  

Cheers,

Jack
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top