Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 9:48:11 PM EDT
I just got one of each, and the VEPR is nicer out of the box for me.  The SLR is super nice still.

The only con with the VEPR is its heavy.  The SLR is the lightest AK Ive ever had, noticeably lighter than my "was" lightest WASR-2 with light plastic furniture.

The VEPR was perfect out of the box.  The SLR has two little annoyances but otherwise works great out of the box.
1.  The spring loaded pin holding the barrel nut on won't go all the way down so I cant get the nut off.  Maybe Im doing something wrong.
2.  One of the magazine guide rails sticks out too far and you have to push sideways on mags to insert them.  It was easily fixed by dremeling a hairs width off of it, but still annoying.  Two others have reported the same thing on AKFiles.  I cant get too irritated about it, I had a Saiga 762x39 with the exact same issue over ten years ago and I consider Saigas top quality.

If the VEPR was lighter I would say the VEPR is a more desirable gun, at least to me...but the lightness of the SLR is a fantastic.  It reminds me of a Colt 6720 as far as that goes.

Edit:  The other thing with the VEPR...mags insert easier than any AK Ive used, and they are tighter/have the least wobble Ive seen.  You'd think those two things could not exist together, I don't know how Molot does it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered an FM-AK47-11 today, can't wait to get it and see how it compares to my O-Pap and PSA build.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
How are the rivets on your 107?

I have seen some less than perfect riveting on some of the new 107R's.

I am in the hold and watch mode on these for now,waiting to see what issues pop up before deciding
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The rivets look great on mine, my only lingering issue is my barrel nut detent won't go all the way in so the barrel nut is stuck on there.  I tried channel locks and it won't go all the way in so I guess I'd have to take the front site base off the change to a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It had to go all the way in to install the the nut so if all else fails punch  the front pin out to allow the detent pin and spring to come out and inspect
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]
No doubt that the Vepr is nice, but I just can't see owning an Ak that is that heavy unless it's an RPK.

The word at shot was that RPK barreled Veprs are possible in the future.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It's lighter than a sam7r or an npap....
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a reason why the Molot is heavy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It had to go all the way in to install the the nut so if all else fails punch  the front pin out to allow the detent pin and spring to come out and inspect
View Quote

I knocked the pin out and the detent was in backwards.  Which means they installed the barrel nut first, then drove the pin in to hold the detent in.  Weird!  Put it back together the correct way and now I can remove the barrel nut/brake as its supposed to be.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
No pics?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I knocked the pin out and the detent was in backwards.  Which means they installed the barrel nut first, then drove the pin in to hold the detent in.  Weird!
View Quote

Monday mornings can be weird like that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in love with my Vepr FM. I have never owned such a nice Ak and I have owned many! Yes it's a little heavy but I love the fit/finish and every mag I own fit in it like they were built together. I have mine fitted with Magpul stock and grip, SLR Rifleworks MLOK handguard, SLR SR47 Muzzle brake, and ALG Trigger. Just got a Trijicon MRO to throw on it once I get my Bobro low mount.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am in love with my Vepr FM. I have never owned such a nice Ak and I have owned many! Yes it's a little heavy but I love the fit/finish and every mag I own fit in it like they were built together. I have mine fitted with Magpul stock and grip, SLR Rifleworks MLOK handguard, SLR SR47 Muzzle brake, and ALG Trigger. Just got a Trijicon MRO to throw on it once I get my Bobro low mount.
View Quote

I am some would say a hard core AK traditionalist,but your Vepr is bad ass.

Love the entire look,nice job and thanks for posting the mods you have done

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I would get the VEPR unless weight is an issue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two VEPRs and a Sam7SF and although the Arsenal is bad ass I would give the fit and finish to the FM AK 74-11.
There's just not another $400 more gun in the Arsenal.  That being said, the SLR107-11 Is a great value!
My VEPRS FM AK 74-11 and my Converted Slantback AK 47

And my Arsenal Sam7
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Need a muzzle device
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Love that Vepr! Looking at doing something extremely similar once I get mine. How do you like the SLR Rifleworks handguard? I love the looks of them, but wasn't too sure how I felt about needing to cut of the handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I love the SLr Handguard, they produce some nice stuff. I will admit I was a little nervous about cutting the handguard retainer off but took my time with a dremel and it turned out great. I do know that Carolina Shooters supply makes a solid steel (2) piece handguard retainer so you could always go back to standard configuration if need be (I doubt you will once your get the SLR mounted up). I have since switched the out the Magpul stock for a Definitve Arms AK-AR stock adapter (Thanks AK Operator Union), will post pics when I get it all mounted up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info, can't wait for my rifle to come in...Took a risk ordering from my dealer (RSR is their distributor), K-Var and others? had them in stock but my dealer saved me $40. I might take the plunge and cut off the retainer, hopefully it will look nice with a Zhukov stock. I've wanted an AK for the longest time and this seemed like the best option for the money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Here it is with my new Definitive Arms AK-AR adapter sporting a Magpul SL Stock. Also added was the Trijicon MRO mounted in Bobro mount.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a unconverted vepr and I absolutely love it the only thing I want to do is get the bullet guide to take 30 rounders.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top