Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 5:20:57 PM EDT
When I shoot or manually cycle my AK, the rear sight leaf spring will walk out towards the muzzle, causing the rear sight to flop around loose. I can slide it back in place but it does the same thing again.

Anybody have a fix for this? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It should be captured into the barrel trunion. Mine looks like it may be tack welded as well.  The tension of spring holds it into place on my Romanian wasr and romy G
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If possible, a picture of how it should look would be great. I am relatively new to AK's so I'm not sure I have it in right.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
OK looking at the one with ladder flipped towards barrel trunion on middle picture you can see the détent or maybe tack weld. I think that holds it. also you can see there is a slight pocket it sits in at this point. It may be a tuff fix maybe jb weld to hold it but you need to degrease it well first for it to work. I've never ran into this issue b4 so maybe others can help more. Keep us posted.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am pretty sure its just a detent, mine is at least. Mine is very light and may not be deep enought to engage the hole in the trunion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am pretty sure its just a detent, mine is at least. Mine is very light and may not be deep enought to engage the hole in the trunion.
View Quote

That may be your problem; the detent is the only thing holding the leaf spring in place, besides the tension it puts on the rear sight leaf itself.

Maybe you can take out the rear sight spring and bend it a little to create more tension to hold it in the detent.

One of my rifles had a weak spring and I bent it slightly in a vise to create some more tension, but mine wasn't walking out though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That may be your problem; the detent is the only thing holding the leaf spring in place, besides the tension it puts on the rear sight leaf itself.

Maybe you can take out the rear sight spring and bend it a little to create more tension to hold it in the detent.

One of my rifles had a weak spring and I bent it slightly in a vise to create some more tension, but mine wasn't walking out though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know I have never taken mine out or had issue to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
There is NO weld or pin.

Your tension spring is probably weak or bent as mentioned.

The easiest way (relatively speaking) to get the leaf out is to press down using some sort of HARD plastic (or brass) tool at the base of the leaf sight where it pivots in the rear sight block. You will need to press pretty hard, and you may want to wear gloves so you don't gouge your hand. While pressing down on it, press it towards the rear of the rifle. Eventually it will pop out once the pivots of the sight leaf clear the indents in the rear sight block.

Once the rear sight is out, you will be able to see the spring. It should have a decent arch to it and should be stiff when you press down on it.

To remove the spring, just pull it forward towards the front of the rifle. It should pop out of the small detent in the rear sight block. You may need to use needle nose pliers.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is NO weld or pin.

Your tension spring is probably weak or bent as mentioned.

The easiest way (relatively speaking) to get the leaf out is to press down using some sort of HARD plastic (or brass) tool at the base of the leaf sight where it pivots in the rear sight block. You will need to press pretty hard, and you may want to wear gloves so you don't gouge your hand. While pressing down on it, press it towards the rear of the rifle. Eventually it will pop out once the pivots of the sight leaf clear the indents in the rear sight block.

Once the rear sight is out, you will be able to see the spring. It should have a decent arch to it and should be stiff when you press down on it.

To remove the spring, just pull it forward towards the front of the rifle. It should pop out of the small detent in the rear sight block. You may need to use needle nose pliers.
View Quote

Is that your rifle?  Looks like you're getting a crack in the rear sight base right where the leaf tension spring goes.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope just a random google image and honestly I didn't notice the crack! Probably what the photo was trying to capture.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't notice that crack either good eyes
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope just a random google image and honestly I didn't notice the crack! Probably what the photo was trying to capture.
View Quote

Glad it's not yours, that's not a real easy fix.

OP - It does sound like you have weak or bad tension spring.  Don't try to bend it while is's still in the rifle or you may crack yours too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top