Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 9:52:54 AM EDT
Ok guys I have a Romanian SAR2 in 5.45 that I have had for many years. Don't know how many rounds i've put through it but I've never had any problems.

I went to the range this weekend and once or twice per magazine it would not fully chamber a round/go into battery. If I worked it/racked it by hand it went in no problem.

I checked all the pins and rivets they are fine. The bolt rotates freely in the carrier and the carrier glides easy on the rails and always into battery. Hand cycling it functions perfectly.

This is the first time I used Russian mags, normally used east german. I did however, use three separate mags and the same problems.

What can be causing this problem? I'm thinking perhaps the recoil spring is weak and not pushing it all the way into battery. I've checked everything and it seems to operate as it should from my inspections. I am at a loss.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try your EG mags again? Are you using different ammo now?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
if it's doing that with  different mags, even in the e-geman mags that previously worked fine, recoil spring seems logical, though I never read about a recoil spring going bad, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

what I would do, is to take the e-geman mag that you know worked before, load it up with say 10 rounds,  shoot all those, then load it again with 12 rounds shoot all those.  keep doing that until you have a fully loaded mag. if anytime you are getting the FTF, there is a good chance as the pressure from the rounds is causing the bolt carrier to drag on it and the recoil spring maybe too weak to overcome  the tension from the rounds.  

if you have another AK  swap the spring out and see what happens then.  if you don't have another AK, you can make the spring more stiffer, by putting a few spacers, ie. washers,  in to shorten the spring a bit and see what happens. if the shorten spring cures the problem you know that your spring is weak, and a easy fix by getting another spring.  good luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you try your EG mags again? Are you using different ammo now?
View Quote

No all I brought to the range was Russian. the ammo was the same, and I even tried 2 different types just to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
In at least two cases, I didn't notice it hadn't returned all the way into battery and when I pulled the trigger it forced it into battery, of course it didn't fire as the hammered is what pushed it into battery and I had to hand cycle it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a gun that did that the first time I took it out after buying off of the EE.

It was a lubrication problem.  Next time out zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a gun that did that the first time I took it out after buying off of the EE.

It was a lubrication problem.  Next time out zero problems.
View Quote

It was fairly dry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Put some grease of those rails, then try with the Russian and the EG mags.  Recoils springs do wear out as well, but it takes a while...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top