Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 5:30:04 PM EDT
So with the upcoming election I have been trying to buy receivers,mags,etc. as money allows me to.  Are these receivers http://www.centerfiresystems.com/rec-74.aspx any good?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know but I would want my entire receiver heat treated not just the axis holes
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They're old ITM receivers which, as the ad states, are not fully heat treated. They'll work if you're in a bind and no other receivers are available, but they're not going to be as durable as a properly built receiver.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but they're not going to be as durable as a properly built receiver.
View Quote

that is utter bullshit, I bought the ITM receiver (ohio ordnance), which is  the same receiver that CENTERFIRE is selling,  back in 2004 and had a AKS74U built on it. I easily have put way, way  over 20,000 rounds thought it,  there isn't the slightest indication that the axis hole or where the trunion is attached, ejectorl or rails shows any sign of  failing, loosening or any other problems.

I don't except it to have any problems with the receiver in the foreseeable future. the barrel will wear out long before the receiver does

if that  receiver is correctly riveted, it's just as good as one that is fully heat treated and correctly riveted

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
there isn't the slightest indication that the axis hole or where the trunion is attached, ejectorl or rails shows any sign of  failing, loosening or any other problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
there isn't the slightest indication that the axis hole or where the trunion is attached, ejectorl or rails shows any sign of  failing, loosening or any other problems.

I never said that there would problems with those heat treated areas, or that the receiver would be unuseable. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said they'd work. Hell, I have a Tantal built on one. The comment was more aimed at overall ruggedness. Because I can guarantee that the non heat treated portions of the receiver will deform before a fully heat treated one. Is this something that your average range goer will need to worry about? Nope. But considering the OP asked about the receivers indicates that he doesn't know about them, and that maybe the fact that they're spot heat treated isn't acceptable to him? I know it isn't to a lot of people.

Quoted:
if that  receiver is correctly riveted, it's just as good as one that is fully heat treated and correctly riveted

Welp, better inform Izhmash, Molot, Zastava, Cugir Arsenal, Arsenal Bulgaria, FB, etc. that they're wasting their time fully heat treating their receivers for their military. You know those guys are really into penny pinching since they'll go through the trouble of changing entire mold designs if it means they can save two milling operations. I'm sure they're just misinformed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have an AK built on those.  It was from back when they were the only option.. 2004-2005ish.  I personally wouldn't touch one since there are better options available.  $90 will get you a cheap receiver from NDS that is fully heat treated and will be easier to sell if you ever choose (or need) to.

Would be interesting to see those AKOU dudes do one of their over the top torture tests of a rifle built on an ITM receiver.  I'd imagine it would fail due to something causing an untreated part of the receiver to bend enough to bind things up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

that is utter bullshit, I bought the ITM receiver (ohio ordnance), which is  the same receiver that CENTERFIRE is selling,  back in 2004 and had a AKS74U built on it. I easily have put way, way  over 20,000 rounds thought it,  there isn't the slightest indication that the axis hole or where the trunion is attached, ejectorl or rails shows any sign of  failing, loosening or any other problems.

I don't except it to have any problems with the receiver in the foreseeable future. the barrel will wear out long before the receiver does

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree. With you.
I built up a Romi kit with an Ohio Ordnance receiver. Seems to work OK, but it is SOFT. Properly heat treated one will have some spring to it. These are soft enough to twist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWA-xxx, BWC-xxxx, BWD-xxxxxx. Let us never forget the importance of heat treating the entire receiver.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Can they be completely hardened?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago I had two rifles built on these receivers.  Never had any problems with them.  One issue though is selector lever holes are not quite in the right place.  When the selector is closed it can leave a gap between it and the top cover.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Years ago I had two rifles built on these receivers.  Never had any problems with them.  One issue though is selector lever holes are not quite in the right place.  When the selector is closed it can leave a gap between it and the top cover.
View Quote

my MAADI ARM, also has the same gap between selector and action cover.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 One issue though is selector lever holes are not quite in the right place.  When the selector is closed it can leave a gap between it and the top cover.
View Quote
If you build an AK74 with that receiver, everything will be fine. But if you try to build an AK47, you will have that gap. I'd use a Nodak Spud receiver any day before an Ohio Ord receiver. GARY
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top