Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:50:43 AM EDT
I traded for a Mak90 with a little over 1k of 7.62, some mags, and other accessories. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how smooth it shot once I got to the range. Only other AK I have had was an NPap and while it was reliable I just didn't care for it so it got sold.

I am an AR guy and have been for the past decade because AR15 is best rifle but this Norinco may grow on me.

I kinda like the wood stock classic look to it but I was thinking about modernizing it. Magpul stock, forearm, grip, FH or brake, and a red dot. Only thing that couldn't be undone is the threaded muzzle. Does threaded the barrel hurt the resale value of these rifles?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
mak shooter 91 welcome to the darkside
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats op. Some SWAT friends in La. that worked on them said the 94 was the best yr. and one of the best AK's ever made
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I kinda like the wood stock classic look to it but I was thinking about modernizing it. Magpul stock, forearm, grip, FH or brake, and a red dot.
View Quote
To do that would be absolutely HORRIBLE. It's perfect just as it is. An original Chinese looking AK. If you insist on turning an AK into an AR, sell that gun to someone who would appreciate it just as it is, & buy a Romy Wasr. & turn that gun into a Frankenstein. But that gun is BEAUTIFUL just as it is.  GARY
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, that was my first 7.62 AK. I seriously doubt you'd lose money debanning it. If you decide to modernize it with new furniture just hold on to the wood for later.

Oh and that looks like Romanian wood not Chinese anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, that was my first 7.62 AK. I seriously doubt you'd lose money debanning it. If you decide to modernize it with new furniture just hold on to the wood for later.

Oh and that looks like Romanian wood not Chinese anyway.
View Quote

He's right that wood is Euro. pattern AKM, not chinese...The chinese wood will orange-ish in color and have a slightly different shape to the buttstock. OP, it's your rifle so accessorize however you like but *I* wouldn't do anything that couldn't be undone, like cutting off the stock tang or drilling the receiver for a side rail. Bolt-on stuff can always be removed and the factory original items can be put back on at any point as long as you don't go poking holes in it or cutting stuff off...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Modernize away...make it the way you want it.  The stock on that gun is not original to it anyway (it came with a thumbhole stock).  

Quoted:

Listen to N4KVE, that Mak is perfect just the way it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kinda like the wood stock classic look to it but I was thinking about modernizing it. Magpul stock, forearm, grip, FH or brake, and a red dot.
To do that would be absolutely HORRIBLE. It's perfect just as it is. An original Chinese looking AK. If you insist on turning an AK into an AR, sell that gun to someone who would appreciate it just as it is, & buy a Romy Wasr. & turn that gun into a Frankenstein. But that gun is BEAUTIFUL just as it is.  GARY

Listen to N4KVE, that Mak is perfect just the way it is.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Put original Chinese furniture on it, sell it for a profit - straight cut MAK are worth a bit more. Then buy a WASR and squirt your Magpul all over it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Haha like I said I don't want to make any permanent mods to it. I think I'll keep it as is for now and shoot it some more. I do have the original thumbhole abomination that they came with
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top