Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
YouTube

I really wanted it to not be what others were telling me it was. I kept hoping until the end.

Other then the bolt the rifle was very good, and accurate as heck
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update. Hopefully more people will report their issues if and when they arise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you really like the rifle, I would just buy a couple Polish Bolts and find one or 2 that headspace correctly, sell the others and carry on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting out of it. I wanted an Arsenal in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The AK bolt locking lug faces are NEVER flat, they are cut with a 3mm helical surface to prevent the bolt from seizing as it rotates into battery.
It appears that you are just noticing this now and attributing it to wear.

While the carrier does look like it's hammered itself a bit under the piston stem, the bolt looks pretty much good to me.

The only thing I heard you mention is CHIPPING on the locking surfaces.. This is bad. However normal work wear, with the appearance of shiny metal surfaces on the camming lug faces and the locking lug faces, is completely normal on an AK bolt with thousands of rounds in service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I compared the wear on the bolt to old photos I had and I could see the difference. It was grinding itself down against the locking surfaces. If you skip to the end of the video I have some photos of the damage.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Not shocked one bit.

Commie built AK or nothing for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I applaud your optimism. Personally, I can NOT get into a gun made by Century and Royal Tiger or whatever their current name. Go for what you know will work for you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I compared the wear on the bolt to old photos I had and I could see the difference. It was grinding itself down against the locking surfaces. If you skip to the end of the video I have some photos of the damage.
View Quote

Sorry I didn't see the photos at the end of the video before. That is pretty nasty looking for 1,000rd. I have a WASR with probably 7k-10k rd through it, and the locking surfaces are still smooth and well defined.

I wonder if the bolt casting they used was made from a virgin bolt, which may have not had the final angular lug grinding done. If the front trunnion casting had it, it may be chewing into the flat lugs on your RAS bolt as it locks into battery. Just a wild guess. You said that the bolt originally had flat lugs, I have no reason not to believe you - but the ground lug face angle is so slight that many never notice it. .

Whatever it is, it sounds like you're done with the rifle. Too bad, the RAS looked nice when it appeared on the scene.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sorry I didn't see the photos at the end of the video before. That is pretty nasty looking for 1,000rd. I have a WASR with probably 7k-10k rd through it, and the locking surfaces are still smooth and well defined.

I wonder if the bolt casting they used was made from a virgin bolt, which may have not had the final angular lug grinding done. If the front trunnion casting had it, it may be chewing into the flat lugs on your RAS bolt as it locks into battery. Just a wild guess. You said that the bolt originally had flat lugs, I have no reason not to believe you - but the ground lug face angle is so slight that many never notice it. .

Whatever it is, it sounds like you're done with the rifle. Too bad, the RAS looked nice when it appeared on the scene.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty bummed myself man, I wanted this rifle to work out so fucking bad. I fell for the hype and I even paid a small premium for this rifle because it was one of the first MOE versions available. I could have just saved a couple hundred extra and had an Arsenal, but I guess I learn the hard way. I'll be taking a pretty steep loss on this one
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I watched the video but can you clarify again why you can't swap out the bolt and rock on? It seems a shame to write it off when maybe it can still be salvaged. Sounds like there are some good points as well.

Also I feel for your situation. Your experience is basically the reason why I don't buy any of the guns I see on the market even when I think they might be interesting to own.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
YouTube

I really wanted it to not be what others were telling me it was. I kept hoping until the end.

Other then the bolt the rifle was very good, and accurate as heck
View Quote

Good job. Sad to think you spent at least $250 on ammunition to determine than a $500 rifle is a POS.

Century doesn't realize if they announced tomorrow they fixed all of the problems, people wouldn't return. Unfortunately, people that are uneducated will continue to buy IOs and US Centurys solely based on advertising and price.

I see those carriers are for sale on Apex, how many more people are going to get screwed?
http://www.apexgunparts.com/c39-ak-bolt-carrier-skeletonized-very-good.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I watched the video but can you clarify again why you can't swap out the bolt and rock on? It seems a shame to write it off when maybe it can still be salvaged. Sounds like there are some good points as well.

Also I feel for your situation. Your experience is basically the reason why I don't buy any of the guns I see on the market even when I think they might be interesting to own.
View Quote

Swapping the carrier is no problem. Swapping out the bolt requires the process of headspacing the replacement. Sure, sometimes someone gets lucky and an AK bolt they buy off the Internet will work, but I'm not risking an accident by gambling.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#13]
What's worse is people will still buy them, get screwed, and start squawking about how AK's are unreliable and suck.

The derp is bad enough already from some people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Swapping out the bolt requires the process of headspacing the replacement.
View Quote

I agree, and that's really what my question is: Why not get a new bolt and headspace in order to save the overall rifle? Surely cheaper than selling it as a lemon for a loss.

Not in anyway condoning the design problem of the RAS but thinking more about how to salvage what sounds like a decent build overall and lose as little money in the process.

Z
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought about getting a RAS when they first came out.   From what you say, along with everything else I've been hearing....I'm glad I haven't.

I should get another Wasr when I get my next paycheck
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree, and that's really what my question is: Why not get a new bolt and headspace in order to save the overall rifle? Surely cheaper than selling it as a lemon for a loss.

Not in anyway condoning the design problem of the RAS but thinking more about how to salvage what sounds like a decent build overall and lose as little money in the process.
Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Understand

My thinking was that if the RAS47 carrier and bolt is crap, is the front trunnion crap also?

But yes, I think if you have the milled C39V2, I'd replace the carrier and bolt and move one. The RAS has the cast front trunnion as I understand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm pretty bummed myself man, I wanted this rifle to work out so fucking bad. I fell for the hype and I even paid a small premium for this rifle because it was one of the first MOE versions available. I could have just saved a couple hundred extra and had an Arsenal, but I guess I learn the hard way. I'll be taking a pretty steep loss on this one
View Quote

Not that it will make you feel any better, but I am in the same boat. I was foolish enough to buy 2 RAS47s and a C39V2. The problem is that the rifles do perform well in the beginning, which gave me a false sense of security. It was not until I put 1K rounds through the first RAS that I noticed the problems. Big waste of money and time. So sad that people are unethical. They know they have a problem, but most folks won't shoot the gun much or it will be out of warranty before they realize they were sold a piece of junk.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]

I don't know but 1000k rounds is pretty amazing.  You do realize that is 1,000,000 rounds right?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't know but 1000k rounds is pretty amazing.  You do realize that is 1,000,000 rounds right?
View Quote

FIXED it for you. Mine started showing wear at 600 rounds and went straight down hill from there. I expect this gun to survive at least 20k rounds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not shocked one bit.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not shocked one bit.

This.

I have a C39V2 and I just installed a Bulgarian bolt and carrier. I see the day when the US made AK is gonna be the only player in the game. That is provided the 2nd amendment isn't repealed first. Romania has stopped export of the WASR and Saiga is gone to EO, and now Arsenal is ceasing exports also...
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not shocked one bit.

This.

Yep. Yugos WASRs and other commie guns for me.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a C39V2 and I just installed a Bulgarian bolt and carrier. I see the day when the US made AK is gonna be the only player in the game. That is provided the 2nd amendment isn't repealed first. Romania has stopped export of the WASR and Saiga is gone to EO, and now Arsenal is ceasing exports also...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not shocked one bit.

This.

I'm hoping PSA's efforts continue so we all won't be at the mercy of Century's continuing poor track record of customer service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd send that back and have them put a new bolt/carrier in it, or replace the gun. Either way I believe the newer parts are hardened correctly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#25]
My RAS s/n is in the 15k range.  Was this problem ever corrected?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a shame. If Century Arms just put a little more effort they would produce a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Understand

My thinking was that if the RAS47 carrier and bolt is crap, is the front trunnion crap also?

But yes, I think if you have the milled C39V2, I'd replace the carrier and bolt and move one. The RAS has the cast front trunnion as I understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Understand

The problem is the bolt, not the carrier.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Supposedly, if your bolt has an "X" stamped into it then it's been properly hardened.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Supposedly, if your bolt has an "X" stamped into it then it's been properly hardened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bolt never had an 'x'. It was the carrier...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right, the "x" was a flame treatment they did to the tail of the bolt carrier so it wouldnt get all jacked up from the trigger and mushroom. I don't think they have ever changed the process for the bolt to date. Or at least they havent admitted to doing so.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one in the 43k sn range. Only 60 rnds through it so far but now I'm worried. Guess I'll try to find a spare bolt.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top