Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
So I want to add another AK to my family defense options. I currently have two ak's - a SAM7 I've had for a little over a year and a Romanian M&M I've had for about three years. I've been kicking the tires for the last few months and am finally ready to pull the trigger once I decide on which way to go.

I know WASR's are the current vouge choice, but at $599 or higher to me it is less appealing. I've thought about getting an SLR so that I have a stamped version of my SAM7 but the N and O Paps are still available in limited places. Money isn't so much a factor - I guess my delima is that I kind of want a more traditional wood stock AK. My M&M is a wire side folding stock and my SAM is the triangle folder.

I'd probably go with a WASR if they were still closer to $500, but at $599 and up its less than $50-$100 within the price of the Paps. I understand the differences in receiver thickness, weight, barrels, etc. But what I don't understand is how quickly the industry seemed to jump on the WASR wagon after AKOU made the "Paps are dead" video and went from saying Npaps are the greatest to saying nothing about Paps and the WASR is the new best option AK's under $1k

Should I pick up a WASR or go for a Pap?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a WASR for $553.  http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/ak-s/romanian-ak-47-w-bayo.html

I have both and the only knock I have against the NPAP is the height of the buttstock.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
WASR, all day long every day.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the wasr over the npap for lighter weight, shorter stock, ability to take more aftermarket parts and the chrome lined barrel.  The npap in my experience has a nicer finish and better looking furniture.   I have been considering a DDI as my next ak.  Also I believe the price change on wasrs has more to do with the quality century has been turning out and less to do with akou.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go SLR
Still a folder but with full stock (if you choose)
or you can get another milled arsenal
If your wanting wood, buy another sam7 in a fixed stock then get some new polish or russian wood to go on it.
you'll need to slot the receiver for the lower tang, and rivit that in, but it is a easy enough job for someone with a little gumption
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the wasr over the npap for lighter weight, shorter stock, ability to take more aftermarket parts and the chrome lined barrel.  The npap in my experience has a nicer finish and better looking furniture.   I have been considering a DDI as my next ak.  Also I believe the price change on wasrs has more to do with the quality century has been turning out and less to do with akou.
View Quote

The increase in price is due to Century releasing the RAS47 and C39v2; they didn't want WASRs and NPAPs undercutting their new rifles so they bumped the MSRP up another $100.

OP: the NPAP and OPAP are terrific rifles. They are a little idiosyncratic so they've always been out of the mainstream. There have been many rumors over the years that OPAPs are on their way out but this time it does look like importation has genuinely stopped. For that reason (and others) I'd recommend the OPAP. The wood will need to be refinished (it's surplus wood that looks like it's been soaked in bleach to remove the cosmoline) but in every other respect it's a first class rifle. If you intend to maintain that classic look then it doesn't matter that the Yugo aftermarket is limited. I'd grab one now while you still can.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd get the SLR107FR.

If you are dead set on wood furniture then the Opap is a good pick as well. I'd get it through a place with good CS like Atlantic.

I haven't been able to get on the WASR bandwagon just yet but for the most part feedback is positive on these. Probably won't be much cheaper anytime soon.

Another option is DDI if you want to give a domestic a try. I'd get the imports while they are available though. Who knows what's going to happen if the nutcase sheep get the Hillary robot online.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 3k+ rounds through my N- pap , at least that many probably more through my M70 Ab2 mostly because  folks don't seem to get the "nose to receiver"
stance to avoid the cheek slap:(shoot it like an AR and you don't get slapped) so they like the fixed folding stock better( I.m in Kalifornastan) the Yugos are great, solid guns!
I love the fact that some ridiculous non scientific hap-hazard "torture tests" with no structure could influence anybody w/ regard to purchasing a product; just my 2cents
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
58, I would have to agree with you, we have shipped over 1000 PAP rifles and had very few issues , most of them were minor or cosmetic .
View Quote

A lot of people bash them, but my NPAP feels like the most solid built AK I've ever had.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
WASR as one of the best of the cheap AKs is not new. It has held that title since at least the mid 2000's when I bought my first WASR GP 10/63 for less than $350 shipped. I have not followed "best cheap AK" that closely but the WASR seems to be at the top, or I guess bottom depending on how you look at it, for a fairly long while. Nothing against PAPs but I prefer being able to use standard AKM parts, stocks and such. Either will likely serve you the same.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:44:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WASR as one of the best of the cheap AKs is not new. It has held that title since at least the mid 2000's when I bought my first WASR GP 10/63 for less than $350 shipped. I have not followed "best cheap AK" that closely but the WASR seems to be at the top, or I guess bottom depending on how you look at it, for a fairly long while. Nothing against PAPs but I prefer being able to use standard AKM parts, stocks and such. Either will likely serve you the same.
View Quote

It was the CU's "#1 budget AK pattern rifle" for like 8 years straight. The mainstream shooters caught on and the sub-$300.00 WASRs went the way of cheap 7.62x39 ammo. Counting the Draco-C, I'm now down to 4 from 8.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up ordering a WASR from Atlantic. It should be here pretty soon.

Now I need to go pick up some more mags and ammo to balance her out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top