Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2015 9:33:17 PM EDT
A century c39 v2 is on the way to me...I'm a recent convert to AK's, and as I understand it, they can fire about 10 billion rounds of corrosive, lacquer covered circa 1957 com-bloc ammo before failing or even needing cleaned...  But IF-IF-IF they do fail...

1-  what parts should I keep around?

2-  are there fit issues I need to be aware of for the above model?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Ammo
2. Ammo
3. Magazines
4. Spare FCG- trigger, hammer, disconnector
5. Spare hammer spring
6. Spare recoil spring
7. Spare firing pin
8. Spare extractor & spring
9.  repeat 1,2,3
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You really don't need any spare parts, however Century uses these cut up bolt carriers on that gun. I would replace it right away with a normal surplus style one. Below see the Century version, & below that a real surplus carrier. GARY
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/c3904.jpg
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/06/02/3127449_05_polish_ak47_bolt_carrier_all_s_640.jpg
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Ammo
2. Ammo
3. Magazines
5. Spare hammer spring
6. Spare recoil spring
7. Spare firing pin
9.  repeat 1,2,3
View Quote

Pretty much this...Have a FCG and spring set..get back to us on what you replaced by 50K rounds.....I am betting only the springs have been replaced.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You really don't need any spare parts, however Century uses these cut up bolt carriers on that gun. I would replace it right away with a normal surplus style one. Below see the Century version, & below that a real surplus carrier. GARY
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/c3904.jpg
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/06/02/3127449_05_polish_ak47_bolt_carrier_all_s_640.jpg
View Quote

I see absolutely no logic in replacing a perfectly functioning part that doesn't have a known history of failing just because it "looks" more fragile.

OP, #1 is covered by previous posters. As for #2, all AKs come with the potential for fitment issues,  but it's rarely something that a metal file or some sandpaper can't fix. Your v2 should take most AKM accessories.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I see absolutely no logic in replacing a perfectly functioning part that doesn't have a known history of failing just because it "looks" more fragile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't have a known history because Century just started making the carrier here in the USA. It's certainly cheap enough to buy a "real proven" properly made carrier that's been proven since 1947.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Go see the Henderson Defense thread on what broke and when...After that get a new set of springs and a few extractors and maybe a FP or two for "just in case" and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I have ever seen fail on an AK was broken firing pin or extractor.  I just have a entire spare bolt as a spare.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The carrier with the lightning cuts has been around since the beginning and I haven't seen a single failure. Aside from the soft tails that were sent out, the carrier is solid.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1. Ammo
2. Ammo
3. Magazines
5. Spare hammer spring
6. Spare recoil spring
7. Spare firing pin
9.  repeat 1,2,3
View Quote

The factory springs are all Wolf X-tra, so you'll get a lot of use from them. I replaced my recoil assembly with one of the telescopic rods, but the spring was way weaker than the wolf, so I put it on the telescopic rod. This is strictly a personal preference. You could order a RAK-1 FCG and have that whole set. A bolt rebuild kit can be assembled. for about $35.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top