Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2015 7:04:18 PM EDT
I have been looking for my first AK 47. I have done some research and am leaning towards the WASR10. I am aware to be on the look out for the canted sights and mag wobble. The price is good. There is the NPAP in the same price range. But if I understand correctly, the NPAP does not take standard AK parts. Does that mean The WASR will except all standard AK parts? for example, trigger group, bolt carrier group and receiver cover? Are there any other AKs that are in the $600 price range that I should be looking at? If so how does it compare to the WASR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The WASR would be a good entry level gun to start with. The QC has gotten a lot better on them and depending on where you buy it, a few of the online dealers will inspect the gun for canted sights and other quality issues before they ship it to you. If your worried about mag wobble buy the Tapco 30 rd waffle mags and use some emery cloth to custom fit them to you gun.

For the NPAP there seems to be more options for parts than there used to be but you have to make sure they will fit a YUGO. For the WASR just about anything will fit but sometimes you might have to custom fit it to your gun so a Dremel would be a good investment if you don't have one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Not all AKs are built on the same pattern. The most popular pattern was/is the AKM, which is what the WASR is based on. That means you'll have the largest pool of aftermarket and replacement parts if your buy something like a WASR.

The NPAP is a terrific rifle with typically beautiful fit and finish. It's based on the Yugo M70 pattern, however, so it will not accept most AKM parts. The popularity of M70-patterned rifles over the last few years means that the aftermarket has grown considerably, but it's still not comparable to the AKM aftermarket. Some parts - like the FCG - will interchange, but others - like the dustcover or furniture - will not.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
WASRs are good, can't really go wrong with one of the new ones.  There are a lot of good deals right now on DDI built AKs,

VEPRs are going for around $600 and are considered one of the best AK style rifles but these are not your standard AK design.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've held a few WASR's but, never fired one. If you are not looking to tacticool it and do a lot of changes, then you might consider the Serbian O-PAP. Cousin to the N-PAP but, heavier duty receiver and bulged front trunion. Built like a tank and in my own personal opinion better than my Century C39. At only $609.00 it isn't that much more.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The Nations Gun Show is in my area this weekend. Hopefully I can make it and pick up a WASR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
When I bought mine I picked it up from a local shop, paid a little more vs online but after seeing some poor examples of WASRs I knew what to look for.
As mentioned above, WASR quality has improved greatly over the years and seems to keep getting better. I've seen poor examples of almost every make of AK, if I ever ordered one online I'd make sure I had the right to refuse if it wasn't straight. Lots of dealer sites have a zero return policy and local FFLs have no reason to support you after the transfer is complete.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
WASRs, Yugo "-PAP" rifles, and Saigas/VEPRs are built overseas in actual military arms factories specializing in Kalashnikov designs.  The receivers all say "made in  . . ."

I consider that valuable, as these places have experience dating back years.

In contrast, a lot of the remaining "AK" pattern guns on the US market were riveted together in the USA on U.S.- made receivers.  Some are good.  Some not so good.  A few are terrible.  

If it is your first AK, I'd suggest a WASR.  I have one of its old predecessors -   the SAR-3  - and it is a great gun; canted sight and all!

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input. I picked up a WASR on Sunday.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top