Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 10:24:31 PM EDT
I'm looking for a replacement top cover for my WASR, the safety hits it and when on safe it is harder to move to fire. I have tried bending but I have not had any success. What would be the best top cover replacement?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The newer WASR  comes with an Ak74 type cover,  and any 74 cover will work -  Bulgarian,  Polish,  E German,  etc.

That being said you definitely should be able to bend it out.  The top lip of the safety is supposed to slip into the small hood on the cover.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The newer WASR  comes with an Ak74 type cover,  and any 74 cover will work -  Bulgarian,  Polish,  E German,  etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The newer WASRs come with a type of top cover that wasn't that common on the AKM and Romanian AKMs as a whole, but was standardized with the AK-74 and made its way out to some AKM production. This top cover has a raised lip over the selector that captures the selector when set to safe. Earlier AKM covers didn't have this lip at all. If he orders a surplus Romanian AKM cover, it will probably not have it either.

Also the selector lever that is usually used with this type of top cover sometimes has a rounded-off rear corner, where the earlier AKM/AK47 selector does not. If he has this type of selector, and uses a AKM cover without the lip, there will be a visible gap at the rear of the cover where the selector's  rounded edge is.

So since there is some variation in AKM covers with this feature, you're sure to get the right type if you just order a Euro AK-74 cover, since they all had the raised lip.

The only feature I'm aware of that is noticeable otherwise on the 74 cover vs. AKM cover, is the ribbing is less defined on the 74 cover and doesn't complete the whole upper circumference of the top cover stamping.

Hope this makes sense...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The newer WASRs come with a type of top cover that wasn't that common on the AKM and Romanian AKMs as a whole, but was standardized with the AK-74 and made its way out to some AKM production. This top cover has a raised lip over the selector that captures the selector when set to safe. Earlier AKM covers didn't have this lip at all. If he orders a surplus Romanian AKM cover, it will probably not have it either.

Also the selector lever that is usually used with this type of top cover sometimes has a rounded-off rear corner, where the earlier AKM/AK47 selector does not. If he has this type of selector, and uses a AKM cover without the lip, there will be a visible gap at the rear of the cover where the selector's  rounded edge is.

So since there is some variation in AKM covers with this feature, you're sure to get the right type if you just order a Euro AK-74 cover, since they all had the raised lip.

The only feature I'm aware of that is noticeable otherwise on the 74 cover vs. AKM cover, is the ribbing is less defined on the 74 cover and doesn't complete the whole upper circumference of the top cover stamping.

Hope this makes sense...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this makes sense...

Okay, I get what you're saying now. The only time I've really encountered the non-lipped AKM covers were on my Maadi kits. The later pattern AKM cover isn't regulated to the newer WASR's, however, as my 2003 WASR-10 has it as well (pictured below). The first pattern AK-74 covers were taken directly off of AKM production lines and the only real changes (as you stated) were the reinforcement ribbing/thickness of the cover. Perhaps the reason the earlier style covers were seen in some WASR's was because Cugir was trying to get rid of their AIMS-65 parts. But from the OP's pictures he looks to have the latter pattern AKM cover.

2003 WASR-10:

Evolution of AK-74 covers (late pattern AKM, AK-74 type A, Ak-74 type B, AK-74M):

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.

ETA: They're in stock here:

http://www.apexgunparts.com/bulgarian-ak74-top-cover.html
View All Quotes

Looks like that has the shinier paint finish. The one at Midway is just parkerized which would match the finish on my WASR better.

It's not bothering me that much so I can wait for it to get back in stock.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks like that has the shinier paint finish. The one at Midway is just parkerized which would match the finish on my WASR better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well since it's Arsenal you're probably going to be waiting a LONG time. It already says that it's overdue. I've waited on Arsenal for over two years sometimes for them to bring something back in stock.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well since it's Arsenal you're probably going to be waiting a LONG time. It already says that it's overdue. I've waited on Arsenal for over two years sometimes for them to bring something back in stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

KVAR has an Arsenal top cover for $23, I'll probably order that one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

If they don't list USPS, make sure you put in the notes section of your order for them to ship the cheapest route available. That usually saves me over half of what they normally charge on shipping.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top